Windows 10: Default camera brigthness too dark

Discus and support Default camera brigthness too dark in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In the last couple of months I have been having issues with my camera for every app, an issue that did not occur earlier neither with my current camera... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EinarEide, Dec 22, 2020.

1. EinarEide Win User

Default camera brigthness too dark

In the last couple of months I have been having issues with my camera for every app, an issue that did not occur earlier neither with my current camera or previous ones.

Whenever I use the camera that is, when I open up a video call or the camera app the default for the camera is to go completely dark I can barely see myself, even in a well lit room. For whatever reason this keeps happening, and the only way for me to make it use correct brightness settings is by forcing some change to the camera. E.g. when I use Microsoft Teams or a similar videocall program, i can "force some change" by opening the camera app on Windows 10 but this is of of course does nothing since the camera is in use already, but it fixes the problem. When I try to troubleshoot with the camera app, I can "force some change" by either changing the resolution or change between e.g. document/picture/video display.

I have tried updating drivers the broken one is the newest, so without a custom one for my own camera, I can't install a new one, i have tried changing power settings, display settings, restarted the computer, changed USB port and i have updated all apps and programs that use my camera.

The issue here is the driver itself, it constantly reverts to a too dark setting whenever I start using the camera. While it is possible to "fix", the fix is time consuming and annoying to do, so this is a software issue you should take a look at.

:)

EinarEide, Dec 22, 2020
  2. sbpetrack Win User

Default Camera

I know this is an old thread, but unless I'm somehow missing something, Edwin's "answer" is simply unrelated to grandpavic's question.

Every idiot knows how to set the default MICROPHONE, although not every idiot can turn it into a complicated 10-step process as thouroughly as Edwin.

Probably for this reason, "how does one set the default microphone?" is just one of several BILLION questions that grandpavic did NOT ask.

Grandpavic, I have never seen a documented answer to your question. I have the impression that the camera which is used by the modern "Camera" APP is the defiault camera. You make this choice in the main window of the Camera app itself: there is a little "switch-me" icon in the top left corner of that window. Click on it until the camera you wish to choose is displaying its video in that main window. Then close the camera app. (annoyingly, most "modern" apps don't have any "quit" button, and in fact you were not supposed to quit them at al. Newer versions of these apps seem indeed to exit the app when you close their main window, so you don't have to worry about the memory footprint wasted just to choose a default. In any case, the default web cam of the system is the one the modern Camera app last used,

But that is just my empiical observation . I wouldnt normally allow myself to post some personal speculation as an 'answser' in such forum as this. But you asked a LONG time ago, withought receiving a single answerl. So i wanted to se what i could do

--Scott

sbpetrack, Dec 22, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default camera brigthness too dark :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Default camera brigthness too dark

Laptop Camera

Thanks for updating us on the results of the troubleshooting steps that you have completed. Since the built-in webcam is still not working correctly and the same error code 0xA00F4244 (0xC00DABED) is still appearing, we suggest that we check the camera privacy
    settings to see if the camera access is turned on. Kindly follow the steps below to check the camera privacy settings:

• Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Near the top of the Settings app window is the search box, kindly type the word "webcam" or "camera".
    • From the list of results choose Camera privacy settings.
    • Make sure that "Let apps use my camera" toggle is set to On.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Default camera brigthness too dark

1. Default camera brigthness too dark - Similar Threads - Default camera brigthness

2. Gateway USB camera too dark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gateway USB camera too dark: Just got a new Gateway laptop. Windows 11. I use Microsoft 365. When I go to settings->camera, there are no network cameras found. I go to connected cameras->USB camera and the camera is pitch black in bright light. I can barely see myself. How do I fix this without...
  3. Gateway USB camera too dark

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gateway USB camera too dark: Just got a new Gateway laptop. Windows 11. I use Microsoft 365. When I go to settings->camera, there are no network cameras found. I go to connected cameras->USB camera and the camera is pitch black in bright light. I can barely see myself. How do I fix this without...
  4. Windows Photo Viewer too dark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo Viewer too dark: When I go to look at certain pictures in Windows Photo Viewer, they come out so dark I can barely see them. I have tries making various adjustment in color management, but nothing works. I am on a Windows 10 HP laptop. This just started happening, and it only happens with...
  5. default camera

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default camera: When locating my USB logitech camera in devices, there is no button to select it as a default within the properties menu. Please advise.* this is not an issue for most software but windows built in camera app cannot select its own input, it seems to be locked to the default.....
  6. default camera

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default camera: When locating my USB logitech camera in devices, there is no button to select it as a default within the properties menu. Please advise.* this is not an issue for most software but windows built in camera app cannot select its own input, it seems to be locked to the default.....
  7. Default Camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Camera: Hi, I've tried all the solutions on Google and I still can't figure out how to disable my internal camera built in my laptop. I want to make my USB Webcam my default camera, and disable my internal camera. What is the most simplest solution?...
  8. Brigthness issue in My Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Brigthness issue in My Laptop: To, Microsoft I am using Laptop along with Windows 10 OS. When I try to Charge My Laptop when its Powered on or when I am working on the Laptop, the Brightness of the Screen Automatically Increased by +% or becomes little brighter. But after I remove the Charge then it...
  9. camera light is too dark

camera light is too dark: My Surface Pro camera light is so dark, I can barely be seen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-light-is-too-dark/0c305304-8c1e-4898-a6d4-6b0415678432
  10. Default Camera

Default Camera: My system has two webcams. How do change the one that I want to use as default. 21420