Windows 10: default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc

Discus and support default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi , I have a laptop with a 30GB SSD and a 500GB spinning HDD . I want windows on the SSD but it ALWAYS runs out of space after a few weeks .... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tamo, Oct 26, 2015.

1. tamo Win User

default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc

Hi ,
    I have a laptop with a 30GB SSD and a 500GB spinning HDD .

I want windows on the SSD but it ALWAYS runs out of space after a few weeks .

Can anyone guide me through a way to have new programs /apps /photos/downloads /.docs etc etc install on the big drive ( d:/ )

I use ITunes for example and during a backup the system reported " not enogh drive space on drive c:/ "

I lost the sony partitioning system when I went down the windows 10 technical preview road months ago .

Thanks

:)

2. Disable "Packet Data"-Connection - How?

If you want it to "always ask" for apps other than navigation (like mail etc), go to

settings>connection>destinations>options>default connection

select "Always ask".

kaych---01, Oct 26, 2015
  3. where can i see my files saved in phone memory( lumia 520)

FILES LIKE PPT, PPS, DOC, EXCEL, ETC ARE STORED IN SD CARD. THESE FILES ARE NOT VISIBLE. APPLICATIONS, ON INSTALATION, GET INSTALLED IN PHONE MEMORY CAUSING LOW DISK SPACE EVEN FOR A SNAP. HOW CAN I CHANGE THE DESTINATION FOR STORING ALL APPS TO BE INSTALLED
    TO SD CARD? (THE PHONE HAS PROVISION TO STORE PICS AND SONGS ONLY).

anantharaman k sadasivan, Oct 26, 2015
  4. tamo Win User

Ok so ive worked some of it out ...... for example I go to downloads > properties > location tab and change to d:/downloads . I do this for documents and pictures also . How to I make NEW apps / programs install to D:/ and not C:/

thanks

5. Ztruker Win User
    Get a larger SSD. 30GB is going to continue to run out of space, it's just too small for Win 10. People report having space problems with 60GB SSDs as well. I have a 250GB SSD in my Desktop and no space problems. Also a 120GB SSD in my laptop and no space problems there either.

Ztruker, Oct 27, 2015
  6. tamo Win User
    Thanks for that answer , I never thought of that .*sarc

tamo, Nov 1, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Snide remark aside, why try to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag? Get a bigger bag.

I know that's an obvious fix but sometimes people just need to hear it anyway.

I'll stop annoying you with obvious answers now.

Ztruker, Nov 1, 2015
  8. tamo Win User

Have a sense of humour and grow up you sound like a 5 year old .
    I apologise if I came across sarcastically but all I was asking was why when I had the recovery partition intact the 30 GB SSD never filled up and why , if you are unable to accept a bit of banter for providing an answer my 6 year old could have answered its a sad day .

tamo, Nov 4, 2015
  9. comtrjl Win User
    Keeping everything down to 30GB or less is going to be a challenge whatever you do. I try to keep as much as I can not on the C: drive and it's around 38GB at the moment and I can't see any easy way to reduce that.
    In addition to what you've done already, you could possibly get rid of a hibernation file if you don't need it; also the pagefile. You could also move the 'temp' directory to d: - that may be why you had the backup problem.
    At least with my setup I've had no problem installing every ordinary program on G: (=your D: partition) - you just have to do a custom install and replace c:\program files with d:\programs\.... Very few programs fail to ask where they should be installed and they all work perfectly well from G:
    I don't know about moving the 'metro' apps; I've never touched them.
    Also use the built-in Disk Cleanup to remove junk, and CCleaner also so you've got as much free space as possible.

bob

comtrjl, Nov 4, 2015
  10. I was going to suggest a new drive, too, given the fact the cost has fallen for the 256 GB and lower sizes.

DeaconFrost, Nov 4, 2015
  11. Snakeyes Win User
    Damn! Your six-year-old is smarter than my 18-year-old. Too late for a replacement I guess.*Smile

Snakeyes, Nov 4, 2015
  12. tamo Win User
    Thanks very much all .
    I hope santa brings be a shiny 250 GB SSD .

And Ztrucker sorry for being sarky

13. Ztruker Win User

Me too. Hoping you have a Very Merry Christmas *Smile *Smile *Smile

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc - Similar Threads - default destination prog's

2. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  3. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  4. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Window 10 default prog problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window 10 default prog problem: Hi please help all my window 10 default app refuse to open, app like movie& tv, photo, groove music etc and i even reset my system it works once but later stop working when i try to use it the second time. What can i do please...
  6. all apps and progs won't work

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    all apps and progs won't work: i (accidentlly) changed something in the registery (autorisations) and all the apps and programmes won't open by double clicking on it, same thing task manaer, ms config etc.Nothing won't open.I thought of resting everything but even reset windows won't work, i press and...
  7. prog files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    prog files: what is c:\\tostack prog. file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/prog-files/e9b53654-81e2-4d48-a486-efbb02e80335
  8. Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc: You might want to check out this tutorial also Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
  9. Cannot Change Destination of Apps

Cannot Change Destination of Apps: Currently I cannot change the destination of new apps that I download on to my computer. The box that says "New apps will save to" is greyed out. This is a brand new computer. Please help! 43377
  10. Program I want to set as default will not show up under Default Prog.

Program I want to set as default will not show up under Default Prog.: Hello all... There have a whole host of this type of question registered in the past. But this one - my case - has thrown me for a loop. I've been trying to select Firefox as my default Windows 10 browser program (I used to be able to do it) - but something has happened...