Windows 10: default "Documents" folder

Discus and support default "Documents" folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting? What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobTrotterRipley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. default "Documents" folder

Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting?

What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily clicking through the setup checkboxes, asking if you want this there and that here, and something else over in this place.

At the time, I had on my D: drive a folder, "b", in which I was keeping dozens of folders--most of which were documents. Some subfolders contains graphics only, and some upper level doc folders do, too.

Well, W10 changed my default folder for installed apps to the D:\b folder. And W10 renamed the folder from "b" to "Documents". In fact, with any update, even though I rename "Documents" to "b, W10 again changes the name from "b" to "Documents".

Now, docs from an app such as WordPerfect go into the D:\b instead of on the C: drive.

That means that several apps that normally place their subfolder docs on the C: drive now go to the D: drive, and in the top level "b" folder.

I know enough to edit the registry, but I don't know enough to know what to change there in order to fix this recurring mistake.

:)

BobTrotterRipley, Jan 8, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 8, 2020
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jan 8, 2020
  4. default "Documents" folder

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

default "Documents" folder

1. default "Documents" folder - Similar Threads - default Documents folder

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  5. New documents/folders/files are encrypted by default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New documents/folders/files are encrypted by default: I am using Windows 11 Pro PC came with Windows 10 Pro. One time I encrypted a file using the built in encryption that comes with pro versions of Windows. But now, any new document I create is encrypted by default, and I have to uncheck the encryption box. How do I stop new...
  6. Changing folder type default to Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing folder type default to Documents: I work with a lot of media files music / video and jpgs and frequently when I set a folder with one of this I get a bunch of utterly useless column headings which relate to album or music tracks, whereas without exception what I actually need is documents folder view each and...
  7. Changing the Default documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....
  8. Issues with default "Documents" Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with default "Documents" Folder: Hello, I'm at my wits end and am really hoping someone here can help! Windows appears to think my Pictures folder is my Documents folder. In the "This PC" shell, "Documents" no longer appears. Rather, I am seeing "Pictures" twice (picture below). Both instances of...
  9. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  10. Documents folder opens by default

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder opens by default: When I try to open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens the "Documents" Folder by default. I have to choose "Open" or "Open in New Window" to get it right. If I select "Open Windows Explorer" or double click on the folder, my Documents folder opens. I have reset every...