Windows 10: Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

Discus and support Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For those of us finally fed up with the colossal mess applications have made of them (particularly “Documents”). And also for those of us still with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mortiferon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

For those of us finally fed up with the colossal mess applications have made of them (particularly “Documents”). And also for those of us still with just the “C:\” drive to work with.

I’ve long heard that it’s simply not viable to use a new “Local Disc C:\” folder for such purposes, for incessant nagging of permissions and now UAC. Also even that many applications can't work with files coming from/going to there for those very same reasons. Or Is this still true? Is there a way to make it work, anyway?

And, apparently, it is also a bad idea to simply just nest a folder within “Desktop” (as, for some inexplicable reason, it’s not protected from restore operations; I do manually backup my stuff to external drives, but...). Which is exactly what I’d first thought to resort to... dammit!

Also much to my consternation, there’s no ability whatsoever to add new “This PC” nor “User” folders. Surely there’s a rational, even good, explanation for this but it still rankles.

So if none of those are in fact viable, then what can we actually do?

I’m worn clean out of wading through dozens of extraneous applications junk folders to find and use my actual personal files. And I know I’m pretty far from alone in that. And “Libraries” isn’t really a solution; I do work with the actual files, for my manual backups and such.

I’d also prefer to not have to buy a new internal drive (not until I actually need one to pair with the wee M.2 drives). It’s frankly beyond the pale that that should even be necessary to have just *one* little corner with *only* my personal files, and that’s legitimately clean and organized (not merely ‘emulated’ that way, via “Libraries” etc).

As I’m sure MS will never get around to implementing anything like this (say, a secular: user account name/My data/“My Documents/My Music/My Pictures/My Videos”, sort of like it was before), and that app devs would just abuse it all over again even if they did... what’s our recourse? Or, is there even one to be had at all?

:)

Mortiferon, Aug 19, 2018
  2. smacPZ Win User

Remove Music, Pictures, Videos folders from Documents Library?

I'm using Windows 10 and have no use for the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders that appear in the Documents library. I want to remove them, or at the very least hide them from the folder listing. It's very annoying that Windows doesn't want to let you
    do that.

To be clear, I'm not talking about removing them from the explorer left side panel. I want to stop them from showing up in the Documents list. Does anyone know a simple way to do this? Thanks.

smacPZ, Aug 19, 2018
  3. My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

Patti,

Let me start by saying the above information would have been very useful at the start. Let me see if I can recap your original issue first...

Before Windows 10 Upgrade:

Your computer was configured (before the Win10 upgrade) to used drive (EDefault Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives? :) as your DEFAULT storage location for DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC etc. I assume there were sub-folders for each.

After Windows 10 Upgrade:

After the upgrade, your DEFAULT storage locations were re-set to drive C:. This had the side affect of you seeing 'Documents' in the quick access list which did not point to your 'Documents' folder on drive E:.

What you wanted:

You wanted the 'Documents' and other data folders that showed up in the Quick Access list to point to your original files on drive E:. You also assumed that all new documents would be created in the Documents folder on drive E:.

Drive E: is your data drive because that is where you have space and you want to continue using that drive.

In the above description I used 'Documents' but that would apply to all of your 'data' folders such as Music, Video, Pictures etc.

If I have this right, please let me know.

FunSideOfSteve, Aug 19, 2018
  4. mstar_46 Win User

Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

Windows 10 parameters: how to chose the default folders where to save documents, music, pictures...

In windows 10 the system parameters offer to modify the default places where files are supposed to be saved:

storage (new apps, new docs, new music, new photos and videos, new films ans TV series) and offline maps.

Unfortunately the choices proposed in the pull-down lists are only the roots of the existing partitions: This PC (CDefault Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives? :), DOCUMENTS (DDefault Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives? :) ...

How should I proceed to chose at least the dedicated system folders? \Documents, \Pictures, \Music, \Videos... \Desktop?

Strangely photos and videos are supposed to be stored at the same place! why not separately in \Pictures and \Videos?

And strangely too there is no dedicated folder for maps: why no system folder \Maps?

In short, if I have only one partition, I have no choice: all my new files will be muddle up in the root folder of C: Funny way to tidy!

Have I missed something?

mstar_46, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

1. Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives? - Similar Threads - Default Documents Music

2. Quick Access Section - Missing Links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, Pictures Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access Section - Missing Links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, Pictures Folders: I used to have links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, and Pictures folders on the left. Suddenly, they were gone. This may have happened after a recent update.Now, to access those folders I navigate to Users folder and then to the folder with my username. This is...
  3. Quick Access Section - Missing Links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, Pictures Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Section - Missing Links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, Pictures Folders: I used to have links to Documents, Download, Music, Video, and Pictures folders on the left. Suddenly, they were gone. This may have happened after a recent update.Now, to access those folders I navigate to Users folder and then to the folder with my username. This is...
  4. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  5. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  6. Videos and music folder both named pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos and music folder both named pictures: Hello Sir!Today I thought I would get round to the task of moving my user files documents, downloads, pictures etc. to my second hard drive. But due to some reason I am facing a problem that my Videos and Music folders both are named Pictures in Windows 11. I have rebooted my...
  7. Videos and music folder both named pictures

Videos and music folder both named pictures: Hello Sir!Today I thought I would get round to the task of moving my user files documents, downloads, pictures etc. to my second hard drive. But due to some reason I am facing a problem that my Videos and Music folders both are named Pictures in Windows 11. I have rebooted my...
  8. Main folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Main folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" disappeared: I was trying to move my folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" from C drive to D drive, somehow I merged them by mistake and now none of them is visible. I tried to recover them but all I did failed. What can I do?...
  9. Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder: So I use a program called SyncBackPro to quickly backup my data from my computer to my external drive, it only mirrors the differences so the backup takes only a few seconds. The other day I noticed that it is copying files from my Documents folder and the progress bar...
  10. Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos: For the user library folders such as Desktop, Music, Pictures, I know that the directory can be changed by going in to "properties" > "location" Like so: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-location-of-user-folders-in-windows/ I'm looking to change the directory of these...