Windows 10: Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

Discus and support Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Okay, the title of this question is a little misleading. We currently have a Default file association XML in place in Group Policy to set the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FreeloadingRusty, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

Okay, the title of this question is a little misleading. We currently have a Default file association XML in place in Group Policy to set the default browser to Edge Chromium, however we have some users that want to use Google Chrome as their default browser. As expected if the user made a change form Edge to Chrome the browser would revert back after the machine checked in to retrieve policy, so I created a new policy disabling the Default file association XML and tested that however it still reverted back to Edge when the machine checked in. So again I created yet another policy to set Googl

:)

FreeloadingRusty, Jul 14, 2021

2. File Association Group Policy Not Applying

I am having some issue with a specific group policy not being applied. I am trying to set this

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Set a default associations configuration file

group policy for a golden image, however it never seems to actually run. The procedure I use to set it is: I set the defaults that I want, then I run

dism /online /export-defaultappassociations:<path & filename>.xml

in an elevated powershell window, move the file to C:\ProgramData, and specify the file location in group policy.

Once that is complete, I go to test to see if it works. It does not. I have tried logging out, restarting, creating a new user account, resetting the defaults in settings, and replacing the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file in System32.
    The specific group policy never seems to run.

Relevant Info:

Other group policies work fine and have no issues.

I ran a gpresult, and it does not report any issues.

The computer is not and has never been join to domain. (only local group policy exists)

Windows 10 Education - x64 - 1709 - 16299.19

Lucas Ciula, Jul 14, 2021
  3. froven Win User
    File association

I have read scores of discussions regarding adding a program to a default program list and none have worked. Before I go to what many have suggested, is it true if a program is not listed in default list a third party program is needed?

I am using Office 2010 on Windows 7. There is no default listed for opening XML-I want the default to be excel.

I went to file associations and can set wordpad to open xml but if I go to browse and select excel, nothing is saved and nothing changes.

Thanks for any help.

froven, Jul 14, 2021
  4. Brent_443 Win User

Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

Assign Default File Associations to Existing Domain Users

As the title states, I'm looking to set file associations for the users of my organization. The one app in particular is Adobe, as with the most recent Windows 10 Feature update it changed the file association to MS Edge. Unfortunately with 200 users is
    very time consuming to hit each and every machine to set file associations.

I've looked into setting file associations using Group Policy and pushing the associations by using the .XML file but when running my test my results were null. Nothing would change with the default apps. Further research showed others having the same issues
    and I want to say that using the GPO method only worked for NEW users who's computer had not been added to the domain yet. This would set the file associations but still allow the user to set/change file associations (Default Apps) when they wanted or worse
    yet, another feature update to change the settings.

I've also tried the powershell method. I extracted my file associations XML file, change my default apps and then ran the powershell script. Default apps stayed the same.

Is anyone able to show me the light? My users windows 10 build ranges from 1607 - the latest 1709.

Thanks

Brent_443, Jul 14, 2021
Thema:

Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

1. Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes - Similar Threads - Default File association

2. Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?: I'm trying to change Windows 11's default Notepad app to Notepad++. I changed the default App in Settings > Apps > Default apps > Notepad. Changing the Default App for each file listed under the Notepad app, everything is good.I looked into the files under the Excel App, and...
  3. Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?: I'm trying to change Windows 11's default Notepad app to Notepad++. I changed the default App in Settings > Apps > Default apps > Notepad. Changing the Default App for each file listed under the Notepad app, everything is good.I looked into the files under the Excel App, and...
  4. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  5. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  6. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  7. Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?: Hi, there is a command to export and import default app associations in Windows: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml" Dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml" There's also a very similar way of exporting and...
  8. Group Policy and the Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy and the Default Printer: I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared. I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such...
  9. Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML: Hi there, Currently, as per the title, it appears to be impossible to change the .xml extension to open with Microsoft Excel 2016, instead defaulting to Office XML Handler and disallowing any apparent method for changing it. Computer is Windows 10, 64xbit OS, 8GB RAM. The...
  10. Local Group Policy Issue. Policy not changing. Glitch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Group Policy Issue. Policy not changing. Glitch?: Hello everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I hope someone can help me out. I am having a problem with Local Group Policy. I have been experimenting with this just for learning purposes and I am stumped by something. One of the first things I tried doing was removing...