Windows 10: default folder explorer.exe

Discus and support default folder explorer.exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem on windows 10... sudenly there was a change to the default program that opens folders from explorer.exe to cmd. So if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SlowLee, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SlowLee Win User

default folder explorer.exe

Hi,
    I have a problem on windows 10... sudenly there was a change to the default program that opens folders from explorer.exe to cmd. So if I doubleclick a folder it says there is no program assigned to it and doesnt open. Still if I rightclick and click open it opens no problem. How can I make explorer.exe open folder as default again?
    Thanks.

:)

SlowLee, Apr 18, 2016
  2. Maulik07 Win User

Windows 10 - File Explorer Association

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open

MultiSelectModel REG_SZ Document
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command

(Default) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe

DelegateExecute REG_SZ {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}

Something caught up with my registry. Now what should I do?

Maulik07, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Random acces denied to files or folders

As I rebooted windows the problem folder dissapeared.

So I tried to reproduce the issue with another folder.

And I think I got the hang of it.

It goes like this:

When I try to delete a random folder or a group of folders sometimes it fails to delete one folder.

The folder is visible in Explorer but not accesible.

So I used task manager to kill explorer.exe process and run explorer.exe again.

After this, Explorer does not show the folder.

So it seems like a random delete issue. As the folder it is actually deleted but Explorer keeps showing me a non existing folder. Therefore the access denied issue.

As I killed Explorer.exe process or reboot Windows, the folder does not appear anymore.

Any thoughts?

gavrochegabi, Apr 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  5. SlowLee Win User
    I already tried this and it didnt work :-/

SlowLee, Apr 18, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, good, is there anything else you've tried?

Technical fixes here.
    Windows 7 Double Click on Folder opens Command prompt
    Granted, these are for Win 7, but I'd guess these should be applicable.
    Therefore, before you try this, make sure
    - System Restore is enabled
    - set a manual restore point.

Another option (I can't tell you if it's any different to what you've tried, of course) but useful to know:
    Tweaking.com's Repair tool.

Cautious, helps you back up before a repair, select only the repair you need. (Folder assocation)

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Just in case. Please check the following settings..............
    Open File Explorer Options > General tab .
    Under Click items as follows heading, is there a dot at Double click to open an item ?
    If not, dot it > OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 18, 2016
  8. SlowLee Win User

Thank you that windows 7 types really helped. So if someone else have this problem: Just go to regedit andin HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory delete folders with "cmd" name
    or just call your friend with same system and get his Directory regs.

Thank you for help dalchina *Smile

SlowLee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. default folder explorer.exe - Similar Threads - default folder explorer

2. Default blocking of .exe files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  3. Default blocking of .exe files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  4. Exe default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe default program: Hello, I somehow changed exe's default program. I tried to reset all extension to default but it still asks for a program to open an exe file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-default-program/1eb10ee0-04bd-4a27-992a-74a9c9e8b5c3
  5. Exe default program

Exe default program: Hello, I somehow changed exe's default program. I tried to reset all extension to default but it still asks for a program to open an exe file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-default-program/1eb10ee0-04bd-4a27-992a-74a9c9e8b5c3
  6. Exe default program

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders

How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders: I am a sound designer and I found really annoying that windows always tries to view my sound folders as they would be some music folders. I found that I can change the default view for all the folders from the folder options solution for example here. That works nicely for...
  8. Word and File Explorer default folder view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word and File Explorer default folder view: I want to change the folder view in Word and File Explorer to show only the columns I want, and in the order I want. For example, I want the order to read: Name, Date Modified, Size, Type. Now, Type always precedes Size, no matter how many times I change it. [Moved by...
  9. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  10. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file: I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified...
Tags: