Windows 10: Default Folder View?

Discus and support Default Folder View? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelmercier, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Default Folder View?

Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened.

:)

nigelmercier, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Chandil Win User

Default Folder

Revised:
    I would like to know the registry for changing default folder IN WM 6.1 for the followings:

• Files receive from bluetooth
    • Files sync with PC
    Thank you for any help

Chandil, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Chandil Win User
    Default Folder

I would like to know the registry for changing default folder for the followings:

• Files receive from bluetooth
    • Files sync with PC
    Thank you for any help

Chandil, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Default Folder View?

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Thanks, but I don't really want to disable Automatic Folder Type Discovery, just use large icons rather than list.

nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's ok.

If you like, you could also use the method below to apply that setting to all folders with the same folder template. You would just need to repeat it in folders that each have a different folder template. Your user folders in This PC would be good for this.

Folder View - in Windows 8

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Yeah, I did this. I guess I need to find what template some of my folders are using.

nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Default Folder View?

I did this and it works great...but... It defaults to sorting by Date Modified... I'd like it to default sorting by Name. I know how to make this change and apply it to all folders, but it doesn't get applied to _newly created_ folders, which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have looked extensively for documentation on this registry key and what all of the available switches might be, but I can't find anything other than reposts of this line:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" /V FolderType /T REG_SZ /D NotSpecified /F

Is there any more information you can offer on this topic?

Thanks,

Eric

mightyeric, Oct 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 31, 2015
  10. Zardoc Win User
    Apparently it doesn't seem to work properly with libraries. There also isn't an option to apply to all in libraries. *sarc

Zardoc, Jun 29, 2016
  11. Libaries aren't folders ... just change the presentation to your liking (columns, views, arrange by, group by, view, etc) and closed the specific lib.

You have to do it on each lib separately, they each have their own file or section in a file - I forget which.

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
  12. Zardoc Win User
    I know that they aren't folders, but usually, like you mentioned when you set a certain view to a library it will apply to all it's folders.

Well, not with latest version of insider 14379

Zardoc, Jul 6, 2016
  13. Default Folder View?

Aha! An Insider build *Wink
    Thanks for posting that information.

Slartybart, Jul 6, 2016
  14. Zardoc Win User
    Yep, my bad on the first post. I submitted a French version of the bug, but it's still active in Escrow build *Sad

Zardoc, Jul 7, 2016
  15. Jak25 Win User
    Hi.

I've only just installed Windows 10-- I waited til the last possible moment in hopes of having the least problem with bugs or other issues from a year ago.

I suppose this isn't indigenous to 10, but since all my folders seem to be defaulting to Details view, I went looking for a way to make select folders AND their subfolders-- specifically, the Documents folder and Downloads-- show as List view.

Anyway, I read a few things about Registry tweaks, but, although I'm pretty well-versed in PCs, I really don't understand much of what's discussed about Registry stuff; I do much better with a specific, step-by-step instruction.

I appreciate the .Bat files Brink provide in his link, but alas, none of those options allow for List view. Is my ONLY option to individually change each one? Because, that seems so unnecessary in 2016! No idea why it wouldn't be an ultra-simple bit of code. But, do you know of a way to do what I'm asking?

(Parenthetically, an awful lot of "Windows 10" tweaks I'm seeing online illustrate menus and views that aren't there in my Windows. Weird stuff.)

Thanks!

Jak

Jak25, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

Default Folder View?

1. Default Folder View? - Similar Threads - Default Folder View

2. Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default: When I customize a folder view in it's properties to use a specific template, it will revert back to the General Items template after I have exit and re-entered the folder. This is so annoying because being able to use different templates view types is most convenient. It...
  3. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  5. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Word and File Explorer default folder view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word and File Explorer default folder view: I want to change the folder view in Word and File Explorer to show only the columns I want, and in the order I want. For example, I want the order to read: Name, Date Modified, Size, Type. Now, Type always precedes Size, no matter how many times I change it. [Moved by...
  7. How to Backup and restore Default folder views

How to Backup and restore Default folder views: This has been copied from a 2017 article I wrote on another forum. I'll review this thread, including any suggestions for improvement, when I get/make the time and I will probably then suggest it as a TenForumsTutorial. Introduction Once you have set up the default folder...
  8. default View LIST in search folder

default View LIST in search folder: how to default View LIST in search folder ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-view-list-in-search-folder/58d196f6-f2bd-4de9-ac02-b93cf7b63026
  9. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  10. Default Folder Views

Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...