Windows 10: Default font too 'blocky' compared to Win7

Discus and support Default font too 'blocky' compared to Win7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I recently got a new computer I built myself. Having to for a couple reasons finally make the jump to Win10....there's just so many issues I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TerraEpon, Aug 2, 2020.

1. TerraEpon Win User

Default font too 'blocky' compared to Win7

So I recently got a new computer I built myself. Having to for a couple reasons finally make the jump to Win10....there's just so many issues I have but a bit one is that the system font just doesn't want to work right.
    It's mainly numbers -- text seems to be fine but the numbers are very blocky and very much don't even fit right with the rest. This affects some programs more than others, but notably Windows Explorer and the tab bar on my browser, as well as the RSS feed(Waterfox) which I've attached small pics of. Especially in the last one it's very clear how out of place the numbers are.

My font is Segoe UI. I *like* that font and want to keep it. For sure I was using it on Win7. As far as I can tell I have fonts at default -- I've changed and reverted this a number of times already. What's especially puzzling is trying to see if maybe I had it at 'Semibold' previously, I tried changing it to that, but somehow this makes everything in Italics....which makes zero sense. I even tried overwriting my old font files from my old install and that did nothing. I can't see how the font files would be borked -- this is a clean Win10 install (on version 2004), not even an upgrade.
    I also have tried with ClearType both on and off and this doesn't change things.

Now the main difference from my old setup is that I have a DVI ---> HDMI converter, since my graphics card has no DVI input. I was in fact using a TV temporarily while waiting for this and the font issues weren't there (though there were other ones). I suppose it may just be that my monitor is old, but it seems odd that it was working fine in Win7.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful.

:)

TerraEpon, Aug 2, 2020

2. RESETTING THE DEFAULT FONTS?

Hello,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• Did you delete any fonts from the system?
    • Which Windows 10 build are you using?
    • When you say ''Tried the one in the font menu but it didn't work!
      ‘’did you tried the option Restore default fonts settings? If not you can try the below steps.
    Let’s try to restore the default fonts settings and check if this helps.

• Type fonts on the Windows search bar and select
      Fonts.

• Click on Font settings on the left pane and click on
      Restore default fonts settings.

• Click on OK.
    Check if this helps. Let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    In Windows 10 how do I return the font on my desktop icons to the default setting?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to restore to default font settings in windows 10.

• Type fonts in the search and press enter

• Click on Font settings

• Click on Restore default font settings.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Zenith Win User

Blurry fonts in Win7 7600 64bit

I am having problem with blurry/fuzzy fonts in Win7 build 7600 64bit. Some fonts in control panel are really blurry. You can check attached picture. This blurriness actually makes me dizzy *Twitch :twitch:. Also display in Win7 is kinda foggy compared to XP where everything is clear and crisp.

I am using latest graphic drivers and monitor drivers + intelchipset is installed. Fullscreen games are also kinda foggy compared to XP.
    I have smooth fonts (cleartype) disabled.
    In search of a solution. Anyone?
    Regards.

Zenith, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Default font too 'blocky' compared to Win7 - Similar Threads - Default font too

2. fonts all jagged and blocky

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fonts all jagged and blocky: Web pages fonts all jagged and blocky, letters missing, boxes in place of a letter green boxes appear some programs appear ok, but open to text, then that appears. Facebook text is ok, but green box will appear on some images Ancestry text looks ok, but when I go to enter...
  3. Blurry / Too large custom default font?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blurry / Too large custom default font?: I know there’s probably not much I can do to aid the problem but I thought I might as well try. I’ve been wanting to use a custom font for a while and decided to finally try it through a couple of methods (registry, winaero tweaker, other third party apps) but I always run...
  4. default fonts

in Windows 10 Customization
    default fonts: Something happened and my fonts are all weird. How do I reset to default settings? I tried through the control panel and it didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-fonts/84ff6dbe-7021-4687-b0a9-7ee20d519c9c
  5. Default font

Default font: Some how my fonts has changed and the new font irritating me a lot. tried a lots of time to default font but failed. Plz help me to know that how can I default font. I badly wanna get rid of this problem....
  6. Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?: Getting ready to clean install Win10 Pro 64-bit on a newly built desktop PC (with external USB DVD) using the downloaded ISO for the newest build. (I also have a purchased install disk and license, but not sure which build it is.) I've installed Win7 numerous times (on other...
  7. default font

default font: In simple terms how can I set a default font to cover all browsers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-font/8698c50d-e016-4e89-967a-6738cdf37b86
  8. Default font

Default font: Why did Microsoft do away with the ability to change the default font? Allowing the ability to easily change the default font makes it easier for us older folks to easily see the text. Please make it easier for us to easily change the default font....
  9. help! The default font in Windows 10 Mail is too small

in Browsers and Email
    help! The default font in Windows 10 Mail is too small: I believe the default font is Calibri 11. That is much too small for my eyes. Is there any way to change the default font? I know his question was asked before but I am hoping someone has a new solution or Microsoft has remedied this. It is a hassle to change it every time I...
  10. Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7: Hello, Compared to my Win7 installation, my Win10 boots up way slower than Win7 ever did. Relevant hardware: 2600K@4.8, 8GB 1600/CL7 RAM, Samsung 840 SSD. Fresh installation has been done after the initial upgrade, all drivers seem to be OK. What I did was check the...