Windows 10: Default mail app can no longer send emails

Discus and support Default mail app can no longer send emails in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been using the default mail app for a few years now, with it linked to my icloud email to send and receive through that. This has always worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KittenVorago, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Default mail app can no longer send emails

I've been using the default mail app for a few years now, with it linked to my icloud email to send and receive through that. This has always worked fine, until today; now I am unable to send emails through the Mail app. I get this message:

"Send error:

We weren't able to send this message, so we've put it in your Drafts folder. Before you try sending it again, you can check to see if the address is correct and that no attachments are too large."

It is still able to receive mail, just not send it. I've tried sending just a test message to myself, and it will send if I send it from my phone or on the icloud site, and I can even receive it in the mail app, but trying to send it from the mail app fails and results in the same send error.

I've tried searching for answers, but most seem to be related to multiple recipients and are from new accounts. This has broken randomly, as far as I can tell. I tried resetting the app in Apps & Features -> Mail and Calendar -> Advanced Options -> Reset. This did not fix the issue.

:)

KittenVorago, Sep 20, 2019

2. Make 'Mail' app default for sending emails and not Outlook

I have both the windows 10 mail app and office outlook installed but when emailing a document from within windows file explorer it always tries to send it using Outlook.

Is there a way to get it to default to send using the Mail app instead?

I have tried setting the default app as mail in the Default Settings but it keeps trying to send from outlook.

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 20, 2019
  3. Larnu Win User
    Office 2013 Mail Merge sending no emails

I used to have no problems sending a Mail merge on Windows 7, however, trying to do one today on Windows 10, and it's simply not working.

I've done everything the same, using an excel document as the data source, and that works fine. When I select Finish & Merge -> Send Email Documents and then OK, Word makes it appear it worked (all the dynamic values change to those of the contacts as it cycles through sending each email), but that's it. Not one email is sent; nothing in my sent items and nothing shows that any of those contacts have been email on our exchange or email archive software.

I've seen that people suggest that Outlook is my default app (it is). Double checked the registry key as well Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\(Default) has the value Microsoft Outlook.

I've literally done nothing different from when doing this on Windows 7; seems that the searches seem to suggest that it's a common problem as well, but everyone seems to say they had a problem and disappears from their support request (and most answer tell you to check the above registry key).

Larnu, Sep 20, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Default mail app can no longer send emails

Default Mail Client

Scenario 1

Possibly, whatever he/she used to access their email, that client asked if they wanted to make it default and you are not setup in that to send or receive email.

Look through your email client settings and make your default or, if, you are using Windows.
    See here:
    Change the default e‑mail program
    and
    How To Change Default Email Client

Or, you can try to re-install the email client/app.

Scenario 2

You are saying you had to Dban your desktop; I will assume you wiped your drive and re-installed the O/S and apps. If this is the case you will need to setup your email, again... make sure you have used the proper settings for your email provider (incoming and out going server addresses, ports, pop3, SMTP, SSL and security settings, passwords, log-ins, etc.).
    If you overlook one little item, you may receive (or not) mail, but the server may reject your sent mail.

Goto the providers site and look instructions on setting up different email apps.

It would have helped, if, you would have stated what O/S, email client, and provider you are asking about.

95Viper, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Default mail app can no longer send emails

1. Default mail app can no longer send emails - Similar Threads - Default mail app

2. Mail app not sending email with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail app not sending email with Windows 11: Mail app has been working correctly for months and months. Recently I have found that some emails had not been sent. They were stuck in the Outbox. The only way to get them sent is to reboot. This has happened on 6 or 7 times in the last month, and it is very frustrating,...
  3. Windows Live Mail will no longer send or receive emails

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail will no longer send or receive emails: Since the last automatic update of my Windows 10, my Windows Live Mail no longer works. I get this error message: Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast account. An unknown error has occurred. Server: 'mail.comcast.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800C013E...
  4. Mail app for Windows is not sending emails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail app for Windows is not sending emails: I have an issue with the Mail app for Windows. It stopped sending emails, they are hanging in the outbox. But inbound correspondence gets into inbox without any problems. I have this issue only with the Mail App, Outlookworks as expected. Could you help me fix it?...
  5. Cannot send yahoo email in mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot send yahoo email in mail app: I am using the MS mail app and the past couple of days I cannot send emails through my yahoo account. My gmail account on the mail app is working just fine. I can send emails from my phone and through the yahoo server. I am receiving emails with no problem. Please help....
  6. My Default Mail will not send emails.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Default Mail will not send emails.: When I prepare an email in my default MAIL, then click SEND, a message states there was an error in sending your message NOT SENT. How is this corrected....
  7. Outlook problem(email): will no longer receive or send mail!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook problem(email): will no longer receive or send mail!: Outlook (with Office 365) no longer receives mail. Mail "sent" is stuck in Outbox. I have searched all repair suggestions, even allowed M/S technician "Michael" to search my computer for a solution.; "cleaned disk" &c...
  8. Sending emails using Mail app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sending emails using Mail app: I have Windows 10 and an old version of Outlook 2007 installed on the pc. I’d like to use only Mail app. In the Settings I have Mail as my default email program. But when I 'send via email' in Word or Explorer, Outlook (2007) always opens. How to send email only using Mail?...
  9. Mail App unable to send emails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail App unable to send emails: every time I attempt to send an email using the windows 10 mail app I get this email in return We weren't able to send this message, so we've put it in your Drafts folder. Before you try sending it again, you can check to see if the address is correct and that no...
  10. Make 'Mail' app default for sending emails and not Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Make 'Mail' app default for sending emails and not Outlook: I have both the windows 10 mail app and office outlook installed but when emailing a document from within windows file explorer it always tries to send it using Outlook. Is there a way to get it to default to send using the Mail app instead? I have tried setting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wordpad email windows 10

2. mail app no longer sending email