Windows 10: Default mail app keeps opening on its own

Discus and support Default mail app keeps opening on its own in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The default mail app keeps opening on its randomly and minimises whatever is on the screen. It happens when the app not running in the background too.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Archith P Thampi, May 2, 2019.

1. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

The default mail app keeps opening on its randomly and minimises whatever is on the screen. It happens when the app not running in the background too. I have disabled all start up apps and it still occurs.

I removed the mail app with windows powershell and now chrome opens on its own, because chrome is automatically set as the default mail app.

I removed chrome ad i get an error message saying - You are trying to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

I have run sfc scans and various malware tools and anti virus scanners and none have come up with anything.

I have reset the windows, tried installing a win 10 repair and even reinstalled windows and the issue persists.

Also tried using windows from a new user profile too and tried a clean boot. None works and the issue comes back after a few hours.

At times the issue starts right away from start up and otherwise totally randomly.

Sometimes it will keep reopening 3-4 times right after i close it and otherwise a few minutes or hours later.

I can find the root cause of the issue, all i have figured out is that whichever program is set as the default mail app is the one showing the issue :/

:)

Archith P Thampi, May 2, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Default mail app keeps opening on its own :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, May 2, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, May 2, 2019
  4. philc43 Win User

Default mail app keeps opening on its own

Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Default mail app keeps opening on its own

1. Default mail app keeps opening on its own - Similar Threads - Default mail app

2. the default mail app keeps opening on its own and minimizes whatever is on screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default mail app keeps opening on its own and minimizes whatever is on screen: hello recently my computer started opening the default mail app telling me to add a mail account but i dont use that app so i decided to close it i didn't think much about it until yesterday it started opening that window repeatedly and i changed the default mail app to my...
  3. the default mail app keeps opening on its own and minimizes whatever is on screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the default mail app keeps opening on its own and minimizes whatever is on screen: hello recently my computer started opening the default mail app telling me to add a mail account but i dont use that app so i decided to close it i didn't think much about it until yesterday it started opening that window repeatedly and i changed the default mail app to my...
  4. opening calculator on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening calculator on its own: HiI had Win 10 and 2-3 weeks ago Windows shutdown on its own or open the calculator or open Microsoft EdgeFirst I reset Windows but it didn't work, then I reinstalled Windows, it still didn't work, then I upgraded it to win 11, and I still have this problem. Does anyone know...
  5. ''this pc'' keeps opening on its own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ''this pc'' keeps opening on its own: ''this pc'' keeps opening on its own very often and even more when i plug in the charger, the worst part is that it stacks up on like 5-6 times and it's annoying submitted by /u/K1ryu-Ch4n [link] [comments]...
  6. default mail app keeps opening a new window

in Windows 10 Customization
    default mail app keeps opening a new window: I got frustrated with the windows 10 mail app relentlessly opening a window of it's own accord so I uninstalled it as I use outlook. Then I got a dialogue box asking me which program I wanted to use presumably it's an email notification so I picked outlook. Now outlook is...
  7. Laptop opens app randomly on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop opens app randomly on its own: One of my kids laptop started to open apps on its own randomly like crazy. This happened less that a week after I performed a laptop reset. Checking my updates, I found that 5 Microsoft updates were installed today. Prior to resetting this laptop, and starting mid November...
  8. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default mail app keeps opening on its own: Default mail app keeps opening on its own EVENT LOG https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtoPcPRkZOqtggTqmVj_Cm58_MJT?e=vQIeBO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-mail-app-keeps-opening-on-its-own/9c8a58e4-9d2a-47e6-9b9e-a8a87ecac000
  9. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default mail app keeps opening on its own: Default mail app keeps opening on its own The default mail app keeps opening on its randomly and minimises whatever is on the screen. It happens when the app not running in the background too. I have disabled all start up apps and it still occurs. I removed the mail app...
  10. Default printer keeps changing on its own.

in Windows 10 Support
    Default printer keeps changing on its own.: I have a Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo directly connected by USB and a HP LaserJet 4100DTN connected by Ethernet. The HP is the default printer but *every time* I print a label to the Dymo, Windows 10 automatically changes it to be the default printer that all other programs...