Windows 10: Default Mail app will not set

Discus and support Default Mail app will not set in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use Windows 10 Mail as my mail app. When I set Defaults, it was listed as the recommended choice. But when I open a folder and right click on a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DianeMeyers, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Default Mail app will not set

I use Windows 10 Mail as my mail app. When I set Defaults, it was listed as the recommended choice.

But when I open a folder and right click on a file to Sendto email, I get the message that there is no mail program associated.

I rummaged in the Registry and found Hotmail listed.

I don't use Hotmail.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I have reinstalled the Mail app but the right click still brings up the error message.

:)

DianeMeyers, Jun 26, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Default Mail app will not set :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jun 26, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Default Mail Client

Scenario 1

Possibly, whatever he/she used to access their email, that client asked if they wanted to make it default and you are not setup in that to send or receive email.

Look through your email client settings and make your default or, if, you are using Windows.
    See here:
    Change the default e‑mail program
    and
    How To Change Default Email Client

Or, you can try to re-install the email client/app.

Scenario 2

You are saying you had to Dban your desktop; I will assume you wiped your drive and re-installed the O/S and apps. If this is the case you will need to setup your email, again... make sure you have used the proper settings for your email provider (incoming and out going server addresses, ports, pop3, SMTP, SSL and security settings, passwords, log-ins, etc.).
    If you overlook one little item, you may receive (or not) mail, but the server may reject your sent mail.

Goto the providers site and look instructions on setting up different email apps.

It would have helped, if, you would have stated what O/S, email client, and provider you are asking about.

95Viper, Jun 26, 2019
  4. philc43 Win User

Default Mail app will not set

Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Default Mail app will not set

1. Default Mail app will not set - Similar Threads - Default Mail app

2. Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?: Microsoft Mail is on laptop running Windows 10To print an email, I:Select print.The Mail Print User Interface comes up. The UI allows me to ModifyPrinterOrientationCopiesPagesDuplex printingPaper sizeMore settings are available to meHit print button - success!Printing Duplex...
  3. Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?: Microsoft Mail is on laptop running Windows 10To print an email, I:Select print.The Mail Print User Interface comes up. The UI allows me to ModifyPrinterOrientationCopiesPagesDuplex printingPaper sizeMore settings are available to meHit print button - success!Printing Duplex...
  4. UNABLE TO SET DEFAULT FONT IN WINDOWS 10 MAIL APP

UNABLE TO SET DEFAULT FONT IN WINDOWS 10 MAIL APP: Greetings,Before I state what my problem is let me first state what it isn't: I do NOT need directions/instructions on how to change the default font in the Windows 10 Mail App. I already know the procedure. I repeat - I already know how to go about making this change.Now...
  5. need to remove Outlook mail icon/setting from system settings as default mail app

need to remove Outlook mail icon/setting from system settings as default mail app: By mistake Outlook was set as default mail app. How do I remove it? This is the location in settings. it was originally not there.Before this happened and I would copy a link and my chrome/ aol would open. I do not use outlook other than to write in this forum.Can someone...
  6. mail app as a default

in Windows 10 Customization
    mail app as a default: Why would I use "mail" in windows 10 when I already have a gmail account? What is the purpose of "mail"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-app-as-a-default/5633cbb2-8eb8-45a8-a6d6-9540d17f450d
  7. Can't set Windows 10 Mail app as default mail client

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Windows 10 Mail app as default mail client: If I right click a file and select Send To I get a dialog stating that no default mail client has been installed. I have set Mail as the default client in Settings/System/Default Apps but that has no effect. I've checked the registry key...
  8. default mail app

default mail app: Every time I start up my PC since I updated to 1903 I get a message that there is no mail app associated. I do not have Outlook, only the Mail app from the app store. When I look at file associations or default programs I see Mail but I still get the weird message every...
  9. No default mail app

in Browsers and Email
    No default mail app: I want to right click on a file and send it to a mail recipient but Windows 10 PRO 16299.309 tell me there is no default mail client. I have looked at the Windows default mail app and it is set to Outlook 2016, no success. I have opened Outlook 2016 and made sure that I...
  10. Set default mail program

in Browsers and Email
    Set default mail program: Yeah, I know: Settings/Default or Control Panel/Default. But it won't work with OE Classic. It's installed and working but Windows never heard of it. Perhaps add it to the registry manually? 94526