Windows 10: Default Open Files

Discus and support Default Open Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there a way to change the default open files for different programs running within Win 10 Pro?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eblock, Jan 25, 2019.

1. eblock Win User

Default Open Files

Is there a way to change the default open files for different programs running within Win 10 Pro?

:)

eblock, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Default Open Files

Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Default Open Files

1. Default Open Files - Similar Threads - Default Open Files

2. undoing an open file type by default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    undoing an open file type by default: I'm a gamer and I like to sometimes download mods for Half-life 2, when the Team Fortress 2 Classic mod was available for download again I wanted to download it but I had never downloaded a mod of a multiplayer game like TF2 only Half life 2, a single-player game, then I...
  3. undoing an open file type by default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    undoing an open file type by default: I'm a gamer and I like to sometimes download mods for Half-life 2, when the Team Fortress 2 Classic mod was available for download again I wanted to download it but I had never downloaded a mod of a multiplayer game like TF2 only Half life 2, a single-player game, then I...
  4. Removing default app for opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing default app for opening files: Ive been having this problem where i had a program keep opening because i accidently chose that program to open the file for default, although i dont want a program at all opening the file. any help is appreciated...
  5. Have OneDrive open files online by default

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Have OneDrive open files online by default: Does anybody know if there is a way to open Office files online by default? I know I can right click an Office file in my OneDrive folder and click "View Online", but I would like to be able to do that without the need to right click so I can use PowerToys Run to open the...
  6. Default file openers??

Default file openers??: Whenever I try to download something from sim file share it tries to open it in paint, but paint can't open the file so I can't download it. Does anyone know how I can change the default file opener to internet explorer or something that can actually open it?...
  7. Remove Default File Opener Completely

Remove Default File Opener Completely: I recently accidentally set .package files to open using "Imaging Devices Control Panel" (whatever that is) and it's driving me crazy that the icons are changed. All I want to do is make it so there is no program set to open .package files. I saw a post about this issue with...
  8. set file open with default

in Windows 10 Customization
    set file open with default: How do you set the default program to open a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-file-open-with-default/7037987b-12e8-4e04-ad36-983ae85bfd65
  9. Default apps for opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps for opening files: How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu? I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures...
  10. default file types opened by Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    default file types opened by Edge: Why can't I open .mht files with Edge? I am forced to set up and use Internet Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/default-file-types-opened-by-edge/0e35b310-565f-4cf1-93c7-4f133147659b