Windows 10: Default OS Search Engine (not browser)

Discus and support Default OS Search Engine (not browser) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've done a fair bit of searching on this site and others and cannot find any mention of how to change the search engine used by the OS from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikehd, Jan 18, 2020.

1. mikehd Win User

Default OS Search Engine (not browser)

Hi all,

I've done a fair bit of searching on this site and others and cannot find any mention of how to change the search engine used by the OS from Bing to anything else. This is the search engine used when you, for example, right click on a process name in task manager and select "search online". I have disabled searching online from the search box, and use Duck Duck Go in Firefox, so no issues there.

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I even searched through the tutorial list to see if I could find any hints.

thanks,

Windows 10 Version 1909

:)

mikehd, Jan 18, 2020

2. changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Removing Bing as default search engine.

We appreciate the prompt response. In this case, let us check your browser settings and ensure that
    Bing is removed as the default search engine. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open your Firefox browser.
    • Click the Menu icon or the 3 bars icon.
    • Select Options.
    • Select Search.
    • Under Default Search Engine, select your preferred search engine from the drop down list.
    • Once you're done, close the search tab and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Jan 18, 2020
  4. vbahl2003 Win User

Cannot Change Default Search Engine tyo Google in Microsoft Edge

Hi,

When I am trying to change my default search engine for my Microsoft edge browser in advanced settings I am neither able to type anything or select anything and add is disabled as well can anybody suggest how to fix this please. as per the notes mentioned
    for changing the default browser engine, the second step mentioned here below I am not able to perform as there is nothing enabled to either select or type the engine's website.

• Select More actions (...) > Settings and then scroll down to select
      View advanced settings. In the list under Search in the address bar with, select
      Change.
    • Select your search engine's website and then select Set as default. If you don't select the search engine, the
      Set as default button will be grayed out.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Vikas Bahl

vbahl2003, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Default OS Search Engine (not browser) - Similar Threads - Default Search Engine

2. Disable BING as default search engine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable BING as default search engine: How do I disable BING from my browser? It pops up on start-up as the default search engine. It's so frustrating. I've gone into menu setting to change, tried the Cortana search settings fix, and it still defaults back to Bing. Have searched the internet over the months...
  3. Bought a new computer. The search engine is Yahoo. I set the default search engine as...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought a new computer. The search engine is Yahoo. I set the default search engine as...: Please help. How to get Google to search. (I don't like Yahoo to search.) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bought-a-new-computer-the-search-engine-is-yahoo-i/16b5e678-59d4-4a96-9167-2e11010d9a25
  4. How to change default Search Engine in new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to change default Search Engine in new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Microsoft Edge Chromium browser is not just the best version of Edge we have till date, but it also offers turn of customization. You can install Chrome themes, install Chrome extensions on Edge from Chrome Web Store, offers Dark [...] This post How to...
  5. MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing: Hi, This morning, MS Edge defaults to Bing as the search engine even though the default setting is set to Google. I can't get it to default to Google, even though I am able to manually select Google as the search engine. How can I check if this is a problem with MS Edge or...
  6. Search Engines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Engines: All my 'pc' life I have used Google but recently have been observing some disturbing trends with them; both political and privacy. Finally, I decided to try another and did a 'google' search for a good unbiased search engine with privacy (alleged). I am trialing duckduckgo on...
  7. Default Search Engine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Search Engine: I've been using Windows 10 for some time and the only thing I didn't like in it is the inability to change default search engine for Cortana and Search. I don't wanna use Bing as my default search engine! I did some search on google to find some source for doing this, but...
  8. search engines

in Browsers and Email
    search engines: Here lately, search engines are not doing what they are designed to do. AS an example ,if I type in something like, “how to clean old furniture’ instead of taking me to links that gives information I want, they take me to links for other search engines that will do the same...
  9. How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?: I don't like using Bing and I have Norton Security on my computer, so I would like to use the Norton Safe Search instead of Bing on the Windows 10 Edge Browser. Can you please tell me how to do this? Thanks. 76714
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Firefox: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox How to Change Default Search Engine in Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), Google is used as the default search engine in the address bar and search bar. Firefox comes with the...