Windows 10: Default Partition Reversed on Update

Discus and support Default Partition Reversed on Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've given feedback on Default partitions being reversed, especially by Fast Ring/Skip Ahead: I dual boot between Production and Insider versions of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Wynona Win User

Default Partition Reversed on Update

I've given feedback on Default partitions being reversed, especially by Fast Ring/Skip Ahead:

I dual boot between Production and Insider versions of Windows 10. The Production partition is default.

Insider partition gets an Update, so the next time I boot, Insider is the default! This is not something I like to see.

I start the computer, walk away to get my morning coffee, expecting to boot my Production partition.

I come back to my computer and start my work for the day . . . Whoops! Where are my files? Or, maybe I just open Word or Excel and create a new document or two, save and close down the system. The next time I boot, I realize my default has been changed . . . how do I restore my settings? Not everyone will know how to do that!

Further, I start to look for the document I created and it's not there! Of course not . . . It's over on the Insider partition!

Please, Microsoft, leave our Startup settings alone!

Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

:)

Wynona, Oct 14, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 14, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default Partition Reversed on Update :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Default Partition Reversed on Update

Default Photo issue

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your update.

We suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Go to control panel.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Click on Microsoft Picture Viewer and set it to default.
    • Check if the issue is resolved.

Keep us posted if you have any issue with Windows, we are happy to assist you.

Deepak..Raghav, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Default Partition Reversed on Update

1. Default Partition Reversed on Update - Similar Threads - Default Partition Reversed

2. Configure reverse proxy for windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Configure reverse proxy for windows update: Hello,We have the following scenario : We have multiple windows servers in our infrastructure which needs to get updates from Microsoft but they don't have internet connectionWe have deployed a reverse proxynginx and in it's config we have defined a path "wsus.local" which we...
  3. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  4. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  5. How to reverse/restore "Opens with" to default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reverse/restore "Opens with" to default program: Sirs,I have an extension .cor file.Initially, I tried to open this file, but I could not.So, I right-clicked "Properties".Under "General", I changed "Opens with" to FileAnalyzer one of the programs I have in my computer.Since I still cannot open this .cor file, I don't want...
  6. Default Windows 10 Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Windows 10 Partitions: I was trying to install arch linux via command line, When setting up partitions i accidentally put arch on my windows 10 drive. This meant windows 10 got wiped. Luckily i had a windows 10 install with me, so it didnt matter that much. I just want to make sure all traces of...
  7. My lock screen and background keep reversing to the default settings

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My lock screen and background keep reversing to the default settings: After changing the lock screen to Windows Spotlight and the background to the picture of my choice, it always will eventually switch back to a microsoft picture in the background and the lock screen. My picture is still one of the options, but it doesn't remain selected....
  8. Reverse Security Info Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reverse Security Info Update: Hello, I need to reverse the security info update, but I am no longer using my old phone number that is attached to my microsoft account. How do I reverse it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reverse-security-info-update/243bcd92-43a5-4ba7-befc-9a2c62505fea
  9. Reverse Defer Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reverse Defer Updates: I have seen a lot of threads regarding the "Defer Updates" feature in Windows 10 Pro. After activating this feature by checking the Defer Update box, is there a way to to reverse "Defer Updates" and start receiving all updates again? 40652
  10. Macrium Reflect – how to reverse its partitioning?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect – how to reverse its partitioning?: I have two identical USB drives: WD-Elements-(A) & WD-Elements-(B) each having a nominal capacity of 2 TB. Some time ago, whilst experimenting with the free Macrium Reflect, I created an image of my PC onto WD-Elements-(B) leaving me with just 359 GB of accessible data space...