Windows 10: Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\

Discus and support Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\ in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is there any way to audit permissions if they changed in C:\windows\ and subfolders since I installed windows 10? Windows XP had such a capability but... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by hussam, Nov 5, 2019.

1. hussam Win User

Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\

Is there any way to audit permissions if they changed in C:\windows\ and subfolders since I installed windows 10? Windows XP had such a capability but I cannot find it in windows 10.

:)

hussam, Nov 5, 2019

2. Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with the search index.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any error code/error message while trying to search?
    2. May I know the error code or error message that you’re receiving when you try to install the software?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?

Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below to fix the issue with the search index.

Method 1

Check if the Windows Search service is running

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key) and type in
      services.msc.
    2. Scroll down and look for Windows Search from the list.
    3. Click on Windows Search entry. In the Status column (see above picture), you will see Running if the service is running. Ensure that the Startup type is Automatic or Automatic (delayed) by checking the Startup type column.

Method 2

Rebuild Search Index

1. Click on Start, type in Indexing Options and press
      Enter.
    2. Once the Indexing Options is launched, click the ‘Advanced’ button to open
      Advanced Options.
    3. Click on Rebuild button under ‘Troubleshooting’ section.
    4. Click on OK button and Windows 10 will start rebuilding the search index. It might take time to complete the process.
    5. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

In regards to your query about SYSTEM permissions, it is not recommended to assign full control to SYSTEM under permissions. However, the default permissions for the Desktop folder are 'System', 'User of that particular account'
    and the 'Administrator'.

Refer the steps mentioned below to configure User permissions for Files and Folders.

1. Right click on the specific folder you wish to modify and select
      Properties.
    2. Click on Security tab to view all the names of the users or group along with their list of permissions.
    3. Click on Edit button.
    4. Choose the account for which you want to make any changes under the
      Group or user names segment.
    5. Allow and Deny are the two options available under
      Permissions for Authenticated Users.
    6. Give permissions for each operation by choosing the access or deny checkboxes.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

Method 3

If you wish to return the system to using its default permissions, I would suggest you to create a new user account, transfer all the required data to the new account and check if it works for you. This is because creating
    the new user account will create that account with the default permissions.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account
    in Windows 10
    for the steps.

Note: You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\ ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Nov 5, 2019
  4. Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\

1. Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\ - Similar Threads - Default permissions folders

2. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  3. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  4. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  5. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  6. Permissions to access C: Folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Permissions to access C: Folder: I deleted all access rights to my C: Folder. Bad mistake. How do I get back to default access rights. Access to C: folder is denied. Going to Properties>Security requires read access to reach Edit, which I do not have. If I select Advanced it is unable to display current...
  7. Restoring windowApps folder permissions to default

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring windowApps folder permissions to default: Hi Is there a way to restore windosApps folder permissions to default? I had to take ownership of the folder to delete all the app download by Microsoft because was taking over 90 GB of space and causing problems on my computer. I user the following command to take...
  8. Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.: Something around one year ago the permissions on my pc were changed by something and I have encountered many problems since. Generally, the default system permissions were changed somewhere in my main partition C:\ causing problems while installing software (installers...
  9. Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData: I am unable to change permissions on the Folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDA Corporation to allow Modify and/or Full control in order to let NVIDIA Control Panel settings to be saved! This is in Windows 10 Professional. I have run File Explorer as administrator! I require some...
  10. Will a 32-bit Windows C:\Users\Default folder work under 64-bit?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Will a 32-bit Windows C:\Users\Default folder work under 64-bit?: Or C:\users\Administrator\ 80864