Windows 10: Default printer keeps changing on its own.

Discus and support Default printer keeps changing on its own. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo directly connected by USB and a HP LaserJet 4100DTN connected by Ethernet. The HP is the default printer but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Default printer keeps changing on its own.

I have a Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo directly connected by USB and a HP LaserJet 4100DTN connected by Ethernet.

The HP is the default printer but *every time* I print a label to the Dymo, Windows 10 automatically changes it to be the default printer that all other programs will print to. It does not need to do that because the Dymo program only prints to the Dymo printer. It does NOT just automatically print to whichever printer is the default so there is no need for Windows to 'help out' by switching the default printer.

So I either have to go to printers and change default back to the HP or use the printing menu in other programs to specifically select the HP instead of just clicking print.

:)

Galane, Jul 26, 2016

2. Toggle will not stay on Off in LEt Windows manage my default printer screen. - Windows 10

My computer keeps using the last printer.

I go to Devices, Printers & Scanner adjust the toggle to the off position in the Let Windows manage my default printer screen. I then exit and work away.

The next time I use another printer it then uses that printer despite the fact that I have another one marked as default.

When I go back to the Devices, Printer and Scanner screen the toggle is back to the on position telling windows to use the last printer used.

What do I do to keep the setting to off.

It seems to have a mind of its own.

TerrenceReiber, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Tammy0625 Win User
    Default Printer keeps changing

Like HarryMiller123, we have changed the default in the "Settings" app to "off" - so that Windows 10 is not allowed to manage the default printer. However, when you restart the computer it turns the setting back on. Why? And how do we make the setting
    stick?

Tammy0625, Jul 26, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Default printer keeps changing on its own. [​IMG]

aardvark, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Galane Win User
    That is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in any version of Windows. I've switched it OFF. Shouldn't default to on in the first place.

Galane, Jul 27, 2016
  6. aardvark Win User
    You are quite welcome.

aardvark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Default printer keeps changing on its own. - Similar Threads - Default printer keeps

2. Time formatting keeps changing on its own.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time formatting keeps changing on its own.: Hello,I have a problem with my windows 11. I change my time format to 24:00 and it keeps changing on its own back to 12:00 AM/PM.I keep changing it back and also tried to change it in every account that I use via the settings of each Microsoft account individually.Any ideas...
  3. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  4. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  5. default printer keeps changing to pdf printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default printer keeps changing to pdf printer: My default printer is always set to my regular paper printer. Occasionally when I 'print to pdf' windows 10 keeps changing my default printer to the pdf and I have to manually go back to the settings and change it to my preferred printer.The 'let windows manage my default...
  6. Default Printer keeps changing

Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  7. Windows 10 default printer changes on its own

Windows 10 default printer changes on its own: Below are methods that I have found and already tried with no success in fixing the issue. The PC also has the latest Windows updates. I have removed the printers and re-added them as well. This has not resolved the issue. Any advice is welcome. Thanks! Method 1: I suggest...
  8. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default mail app keeps opening on its own: Default mail app keeps opening on its own EVENT LOG https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtoPcPRkZOqtggTqmVj_Cm58_MJT?e=vQIeBO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-mail-app-keeps-opening-on-its-own/9c8a58e4-9d2a-47e6-9b9e-a8a87ecac000
  9. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

Default mail app keeps opening on its own: Default mail app keeps opening on its own The default mail app keeps opening on its randomly and minimises whatever is on the screen. It happens when the app not running in the background too. I have disabled all start up apps and it still occurs. I removed the mail app...
  10. Default mail app keeps opening on its own

Default mail app keeps opening on its own: The default mail app keeps opening on its randomly and minimises whatever is on the screen. It happens when the app not running in the background too. I have disabled all start up apps and it still occurs. I removed the mail app with windows powershell and now chrome opens...