Windows 10: Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

Discus and support Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand that Windows 10 has a new feature that automatically sets your effective default printer to the last device used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GaryB, Apr 22, 2016.

1. GaryB Win User

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that Windows 10 has a new feature that automatically sets your effective default printer to the last device used (unless you explicitly turn OFF the "Let Windows manage my default printer" feature). I have turned this feature OFF (and checked that it is off a thousand times (slight exaggeration).

However Windows keeps moving my default printer to my DYMO label printer. Every other day when I do a Quick Print of a WORD document it prints to my DYMO label printer instead of the printer I have set as my default (Dell 2155 laser printer) -- and spits out multiple DYMO labels with the contents of my WORD doc.

I had experienced a similar problem on work PC when Windows 10 was first installed. Our IT folks searched for a solution for 2 weeks (and yes the new Windows feature was turned OFF) but after trying several fixes they gave up and did a clean re-install of Windows 10 which fixed the problem.

With this success at work with a clean install last weekend I bit the bullet and did a full clean C Drive format and full re-install of Windows 10 (including a re-format of my C drive) but the problem is back!

I wondered if Windows was missing my turned OFF feature however when I do a test of using the DYMO Printer it does not move the default printer to the DYMO -- so at the very least the problem is not caused everytime I print to the DYMO label printer. Also, when you turn ON the "Let Windows manage my default printer" the word "Default" against your desired printer is replaced by the words "Last Used". When this problem is happening the word "Default" magically moves from my Dell 2155cn to my DYMO printer on my Printer & Scanner control panel display in Windows 10.

If DYMO driver was doing this switch (I do not even know if it has the power to do this) you would think it would be consistent on every use of the DYMO, however it is not.

The only regularity seems to be that it happens about once a day -- often on the first use of the PC that day (as if gremlins move the default printer setting in the wee hours every night).

This is driving me off the deep end and every time I search for help on this problem I find 100 of posts explaining that I should turn off the "Let Windows manage my default printer" feature (BUT I HAVE!!!). I just sat down at my PC this morning and again the default printer has switched again to my DYMO and here is a screen shot I took of the stupid Windows 10 feature turned off.

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" [​IMG]

Is anyone else experience this frustrating problem?

Can you help?

Gary

:)

GaryB, Apr 22, 2016

2. Can't change default printer setting after upgrade to windows 10

Upgraded to windows 10 a few days ago. All was find. But, when I tried to change my default printer, I cannot do so. The settings indicate that the default printer has changed. But, the computer still sends the print job to the original printer. And
    this occurs with the Windows Printer manager in the "Off" setting.

JamesBurnett7777, Apr 22, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    Printer issue in WIndows 10

Did you try the following?:

Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners > set "Let Windows manage my default printer" to "Off"

auggy, Apr 22, 2016
  4. Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

This is unfortunately a common problem. For me, it occurs when I use a remote connection. There is a "solution" over at bleeping computer, but it is not elegant.

Default printer keeps changing - Windows 10 Support

Basically, you are creating a task/batch-file to reset your default printer anytime it is changed. Again, inelegant, but it works.

Create the batch file using the notepad, then change the extension to BAT. I created a sub-dir on the C: drive called BAT and put it there.

You then need to use the windows scheduler to run the file. See the notes in the link for the settings. When I connect remotely, I can see the batch file window pop up periodically.

redbeard914, May 15, 2016
  5. Kwryan Win User
    Did you ever get this resolved? Same issue for about 10 machines within my network. I have changed the setting on each machine. I also made changes to the registry software as suggested in other blogs but yet for no reason at all the default printer will change when it wants.

Need help.??

Kwryan, Sep 6, 2016
  6. GaryB Win User
    Thanks for the follow up. I actually never did your batch file idea but naively waited for Microsoft to correct the problem . However, I am still experiencing the problem and am now aware of others in our office with the same problem. Your follow up question has motivated me to implement your batch file idea to address this issue -- I have wasted too many DYMO labels when printing 10 page reports that go to my label printer rather than my Xerox printer.

GaryB, Sep 6, 2016
  7. GaryB Win User
    Used this Scheduled Task that runs everytime the printer default is changed. Solved problem...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
    <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2016-09-16T10:50:39.2685537</Date>
    <URI>\Set Default Printer</URI>
    </RegistrationInfo>
    <Triggers>
    <EventTrigger>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin"&gt;&lt;Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin"&gt;*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-PrintService'] and EventID=823]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
    </EventTrigger>
    </Triggers>
    <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
    <UserId>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1960408961-1417001333-1106</UserId>
    <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
    <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
    </Principals>
    <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
    <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
    <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT72H</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
    </Settings>
    <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
    <Command>wmic</Command>
    <Arguments>printer where name='HP Deskjet 6122' call setdefaultprinter</Arguments>
    </Exec>
    </Actions>
    </Task>

GaryB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

1. Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" - Similar Threads - Default Printer Problem

2. Default Printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Default Printer: I purchased a new printer that, upon set up, designated itself as the default printer. Like a virus, it shut out my other two printers and I can no longer use them with Windows. Help!...
  3. Default Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Printer: How do I make a certain printer the default printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/8d906102-564e-40e9-969c-4f608bcb0622
  4. Default printer

Default printer: Why has my default printer disappeared in Control Panel Device and Printers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/ed5219fa-0857-40de-81eb-4f66121336d2
  5. printer default

printer default: I have a Lenovo laptop. I'm trying to print and the settings are set to printer default offline. How do I change this to on? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/bb06e599-ac40-40da-9eb3-f7ef18ba8998
  6. printer default

printer default: undefault the printer It won't print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/d060e7f7-0537-4b26-9714-83bb57ce3d74
  7. default printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    default printer: How can I change the default printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/5e464eb3-4256-4ae1-839c-03c604254285
  8. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off: Hi, We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain controller to a locally installed printer. We use group policy preferences to add the printer to the user profile and let windows...
  9. Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage: Hi to all. I am having an annoing problem with shared printers. The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer. The printer...
  10. default printer?

default printer?: Any ideas why W10 doesn't approve of me setting my Canon printer as the default printer? 54591