Windows 10: Default Printer setting does not work

Discus and support Default Printer setting does not work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using a Windows 10 pc in a networked environment. I have several printers network installed to my PC. I have to print endlessly. Every printer has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Buzzard_Carrion, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Default Printer setting does not work

I am using a Windows 10 pc in a networked environment. I have several printers network installed to my PC. I have to print endlessly. Every printer has different function. I print product labels for our factory to do this I will open a word file that I print to a specific printer (not my default printer), I will leave this file open in my taskbar as I will have to make small changes to it and print it over and over again. While I have that file open if I open an email for example and right click on an attachment and choose "quick print" it will try to print to the printer that I am printing labels to. It should just print to my "default printer". How do I configure my system to only use my default printer unless told to do otherwise. I have the "let Windows manage my default printer" box unchecked as this just changes the default to the last printer used.

I have tried getting this answered previously and did not get anywhere, does anyone have any insight?

Thank you for looking at my post.

:)

Buzzard_Carrion, Feb 1, 2019

2. Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Feb 1, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Default Printer setting does not work Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Default Printer setting does not work

Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Default Printer setting does not work

1. Default Printer setting does not work - Similar Threads - Default Printer setting

2. Default Printer setting and Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Printer setting and Windows: Hi,When I went to set my printer as default printer it showed me a warning as "Setting this printer as default means Windows will stop managing your default printer"Why did I get that message? Is this something new that Windows managing?Thanks,RoGirl...
  3. Default Printer setting and Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Printer setting and Windows: Hi,When I went to set my printer as default printer it showed me a warning as "Setting this printer as default means Windows will stop managing your default printer"Why did I get that message? Is this something new that Windows managing?Thanks,RoGirl...
  4. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  5. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  6. Win10 Setting Default Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Setting Default Printer: As admin or user1, am able to select default printer without issue. As user2, left click on the printer name does NOT expand the selection box, and Manage is not accessible. Suggestions?...
  7. set pdf as default printer

set pdf as default printer: Hi i am using windows 10 pro 1903 18358, and nitro Pro pdf i'm unable to set it as default printer i can't find an option in printer settings or anywhere i can configure this thanks 129543
  8. set pdf as default printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    set pdf as default printer: Hi i am using windows 10 pro 1903 18358, and nitro Pro pdf i'm unable to set it as default printer i can't find an option in printer settings or anywhere i can configure this thanks 129543
  9. Change printer default settings

Change printer default settings: How do you change printer default settings from color to black and white on windows 10? I have office365 also. Does that make a difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/change-printer-default-settings/6f785f32-dec4-448c-8259-0dfc85477859
  10. setting default for printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting default for printer: How do I set my printer as the default printer for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/setting-default-for-printer/d634e4d2-7ede-4ddd-afad-ca101042a850