Windows 10: Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu

Discus and support Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I do image maintenance for my team, and have been using the default profile (copyto) practice since Windows 7. I copied my image user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SpiritedFang, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu

Hi all,

I do image maintenance for my team, and have been using the default profile (copyto) practice since Windows 7. I copied my image user profile to the default and set the permissions as I always do. I cleaned up the reg hive as I always have done, and recreated my Administrator account to test it. I found that the start menu simply doesn't open after being copied to the default profile. I tried looking online, but couldn't find any working solutions. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Spirited

:)

SpiritedFang, Jan 7, 2016

2. Windows Shell Experience Host Missing

This exact thing happened to all users within our domain.

I discovered that the default profile I created in \\domain\SYSVOL\domain\scripts was breaking the profiles.

I tested this theory by creating a new profile on the local machine (before joining to domain) and it working normally after the 1706 update. I then joined domain, and verified creating a domain profile account broke the start menu. Then I removed the "Default
    User.v6" from my logon scripts, and created a second domain user account. The start menu worked as expected.

AdeloreLessard, Jan 7, 2016
  3. AlanReile Win User
    Windows 10 Pro (1703): Unable to create new user accounts

After reviewing my unattended.xml I found I did leave copy profile enabled after I did some testing several months ago. This got me looking for a fix for copy profile/ start menu / upgrade issues and it appears I found it. I have tried this several times
    now and in all cases my new profiles appear to be healthy again.

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

"CopyProfile" in SYSPREP
    breaks the start menu in Creators Update v1703

AlanReile, Jan 7, 2016
Thema:

Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu

1. Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu - Similar Threads - Default Profile CopyTo

2. Start Menu reset to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu reset to default: Does anyone know how to revert back to the windows 11 where it shows the files on the left and the small apps on the right? I used to have pinned items and other items on the right and now it is this way.please see screenshot....
  3. Start Menu reset to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu reset to default: Does anyone know how to revert back to the windows 11 where it shows the files on the left and the small apps on the right? I used to have pinned items and other items on the right and now it is this way.please see screenshot....
  4. Default Onenote in start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Onenote in start menu: Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (20H2) and by default, Onenote appears in the start menu. However, when I install my Office 2016 (Home and Student) I end up having (2) Onenote entries in the start menu. Please see picture below. I read that "Onenote for Windows...
  5. Windows start menu keeps breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu keeps breaking: From time to time the Windows start menu will become unresponsive. I’ve run sfc/scannow, as well as DISM. Neither finds any issues and the only thing that seems to fix it is a restart or restarting the Windows Explorer service. I’m one version behind the May release, but I’m...
  6. default start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    default start menu: how do i return to the default start menu. I guess I hit something and it changed. I want to go back to default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-start-menu/65c75367-a7af-48fb-8d3c-48e3ed9fa838
  7. Reset Start menu to default

Reset Start menu to default: I have just set up a new laptop and for some reason the start menu has corrupted. The programs no longer line up in a column but are in the centre of the screen in several columns. I read up about changing the TileDataLayer but cannot find this now in Widows 10 even in hidden...
  8. Default Start Menu/Tiles

Default Start Menu/Tiles: Just a question about the default start menu/tiles. Originally I didn't like the look of the tiles so I removed them however now I'm thinking I may actually like them. So is there a way I can get the default start menu/tiles back? 14358
  9. Superfetch breaking start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch breaking start menu: Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next...
  10. copyto moveto

in Windows 10 Support
    copyto moveto: The copyto/moveto hack always worked, until I loaded windows 10. Even refreshing the install of the registry items, this still won't show up on my context menu. 28845