Windows 10: Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

Discus and support Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SewHelpMe, Apr 27, 2016.

1. SewHelpMe Win User

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing.

My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade.

When I go to Settings->Set Default Programs I have found 2 problems.

(1) an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default application instead of OneNote or NotePad or Edge.

and
    (2) when the application I want is available from the list and I select it, nothing happens. For example, under select default browser, FireFox, MS Edge and MS IE display. No matter which one I select, it returns to the "choose a default" as if I never selected anything. (What I want is FireFox). I have tried setting using by file type (extensions) and protocols. Same result.

Some articles I read suggested the problem is somehow related to the manner in which the OS was upgraded but I found no solutions to the problem.

I would really like to have my preferred text editor, browser and PDF Editor as the defaults and not be constantly asked to set them in settings where I can not.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

:)

SewHelpMe, Apr 27, 2016
  2. SewHelpMe Win User

Default Program does NOT select/set Application

Found solution.

Control Panel

(select View by [Small|Large] Icons

select Default Programs

select Set Your Default Programs

scroll down to the program to be fixed

click on blue text (2nd to the bottom right hand side):

SET THIS PROGRAM AS DEFAULT

-- this will enable ALL relevant defaults set to that program

Didn't find my editor listed but fixed browser (FireFox) and email client (Becky!)

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting [​IMG]

SewHelpMe, Apr 27, 2016
  3. SewHelpMe Win User
    Default Program does NOT select/set Application

1) registry entries were already present. However, I seemed to have fixed the problem and am uncertain what worked.

2) I am not following this at all.

I open control panel:

select Default Programs

which one do you want me to select?

(note my web browser gets selected to Firefox and doesn't save it)

SewHelpMe, Apr 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, a number of people have experienced difficulty with defaults not being retained.

First:
    "an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default"
    It is, unfortunately normal for Win 10 not to list all available programs that might be capable of handling a given extension.

"Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in that list:
    1) The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type
    2) At least one other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).
    If a program is the only present program capable of handling a specific file type (such as .PPT for PowerPoint files), that program will not appear in the list because there is no alternative."

You can browse to the exe of the program you want to open the file by rt click, Open With, thus:

Second, here are some reasons why defaults may be reset to MS defaults:
    Default programs in Win 10.doc

This old thread may also be relevant (assuming it still applies- not checked)
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...sion-windows-7

For reference:
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 27, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    1. This one is my favorite method.................. use Open With to select default program
    If you do not have Open With in your right click context menu, use this tutorial :
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
    How to use Open With...............
    Go to the file which you want to open by a specific program > right click at it > click Open With > scroll to the program you want > click it > check the box " Always use this app to open...." click OK when done.

2. The old-fashioned way :
    Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right, click View by : > select either large or small > click Default programs > click Set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, scroll down to the program you want > click it > right side, click set this program as default > click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting - Similar Threads - Default Program Settings

2. Default Program Settings in Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Program Settings in Windows Security: I have noticed that, in my installation of Windows 11, I have not touched any of the settings in Windows Security, yet there are numerous programs that have system overrides enabled. My question is a general question. Which applications have system overrides turned on by...
  3. Default Program Settings in Windows Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program Settings in Windows Security: I have noticed that, in my installation of Windows 11, I have not touched any of the settings in Windows Security, yet there are numerous programs that have system overrides enabled. My question is a general question. Which applications have system overrides turned on by...
  4. Set a default volume for launing programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set a default volume for launing programs: I know this has been asked before, but there wasn't an answer, so I'll ask as well. Is there any way to change the default volume of programs? My main volume is 4, system volume 0 it has noise otherwise, is that a Windows bug?, and I don't believe any application is higher...
  5. How to set my Program Data settings to default?

How to set my Program Data settings to default?: I messed up my security settings of Program Data folder and can't figure out how to set it back to default. I am not able to install anything for the same issue...
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  7. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  8. Setting default programs

Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  9. Set default mail program

in Browsers and Email
    Set default mail program: Yeah, I know: Settings/Default or Control Panel/Default. But it won't work with OE Classic. It's installed and working but Windows never heard of it. Perhaps add it to the registry manually? 94526
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...