Windows 10: Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by willum08, Jan 9, 2020.

1. willum08 Win User

Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update

Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications.

What right has Microsoft got to constantly change my preferred settings? It is MY computer and I do not wish to use some of Microsoft's applications because they don't suit my requirements.

Is this just a case of 'Microsoft knows best - so just accept that' ?

:)

willum08, Jan 9, 2020

2. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Default programs are not working.

I recently received and update for my Windows 7 system and an automatic update for my Windows 10 system. Since then, default programs have been changed. The programs that were the default programs are no longer in the default program list. (ie. Word,
    Excel, Access and a variety of other programs.)

Clicking on Settings, Default Programs and Set Default Programs produces a list of 13 programs. There use to be and should be many more. Why screw with us like this with updates? PR is at an all time low.

I can find no way to add them back into the default list. Therefore, I can not change the default program to my choice. It looks like Edge is used to display most everything. Google.doc also used at times. Both of these programs are of an inferior design
    and usability.

Once again, it looks like Microsoft and Bill Gates have struck again. Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions to try?

lylethethumb, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update

Accidently changed default program for INDEX files Windows 10

Hello,

Microsoft has a reference where you may refer on regarding changing the default program in Window 10. We suggest that you check this

link
    out. This contains easy steps regarding your concern.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Lawrence Lib, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update

1. Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Default Programs always

2. Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs: Okay, this has been documented for over 5 years by hundreds of people. When is MS going to do something about this. I spend alot of money and time on my computer and I'm contantly forced to stop what I'm doing to change my default apps back to my preferance. MS do you not...
  3. Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs

Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs: I am pissed off about this problem and there is NO excuse for this!!! I see that this has been a big problem for some time now and Microsoft has done nothing to stop it because they have no intentions to do so! The problem I'm having is that after I have changed the default...
  4. Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart

Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart: I tried some of the suggested help but I am having same problem many time I have changed manually after reboot for required function. Again after the next reboot same problem persists. Kindly help to reset my default apps. for web browser, video player and image viewer...
  5. Can't change default programs in Windows 10

Can't change default programs in Windows 10: This is on new Dell Latitude 5501's fresh out of the box, only after running the Microsoft Office 365 Cleanup Tool because Dell dumps 5 whole language versions of Office onto the systems with a faulty installation path, which completely screws up my deployment workflow....
  6. How to change default program in Windows 10 to a program on your PC?

How to change default program in Windows 10 to a program on your PC?: In Windows 10, since the new update in October, it does not give you the choice to browse your PC to make a program on your computer a default program. I want to pick a Text program on my PC for txt files and the only choices there is NotePad, WordPad or the App Store and the...
  7. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  8. Windows 10 unable to change default program associations

Windows 10 unable to change default program associations: Running Version 1803 (17134.345) and I'm unable to change the default program associated with various file extensions. Basically I'd like to be able to use Notepad++ for a lot of text files, but no matter how many times I try to change it via Properties/Opens With or via...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. Anniversary update change default programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anniversary update change default programs?: Did the anniversary update change the way the default programs used to work? I can't seem to set the default programs to use portable applications now. And its alot harder to set file associations as well for portable apps. 71812

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update