Windows 10: Default Programs / Change Operating System

Discus and support Default Programs / Change Operating System in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Windows keeps changing my default programs automatically without my permission and installing things I don't want. I know how to change my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frustrated User_726, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Default Programs / Change Operating System

Hello,

Windows keeps changing my default programs automatically without my permission and installing things I don't want. I know how to change my default programs, I am just tired of having to do it since Windows keeps changing them. I am looking to install an alternative operating system. What are the best steps to do this as I am unfamiliar and I could not find it anywhere on your site? I enjoy some Microsoft products but I am tired of Windows changing things without my permission.

I am not here to ask about other products just want to make sure I don't break my computer if I change operating systems. I looked on your website to see if I could find information about changing however I could not find it.

:)

Frustrated User_726, Jun 17, 2020
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Default programs are not working.

I recently received and update for my Windows 7 system and an automatic update for my Windows 10 system. Since then, default programs have been changed. The programs that were the default programs are no longer in the default program list. (ie. Word,
    Excel, Access and a variety of other programs.)

Clicking on Settings, Default Programs and Set Default Programs produces a list of 13 programs. There use to be and should be many more. Why screw with us like this with updates? PR is at an all time low.

I can find no way to add them back into the default list. Therefore, I can not change the default program to my choice. It looks like Edge is used to display most everything. Google.doc also used at times. Both of these programs are of an inferior design
    and usability.

Once again, it looks like Microsoft and Bill Gates have struck again. Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions to try?

lylethethumb, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Default Programs / Change Operating System

Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Default Programs / Change Operating System

1. Default Programs / Change Operating System - Similar Threads - Default Programs Change

2. systems . default programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    systems . default programs: my system button wont bring up system , default program dont show , shows folders empty. i have to type control panel in search to bring up control panel, but its an older version of control panel doesnt show check for update button or game mode button...
  3. Changing operating system

Changing operating system: I have a dell latitude e6500 running Windows 10 i demolished the OS by deleting a bunch of system32 files,. .NET_Microsost, anyway the point is i cant fix this operating system no matter what. My question is if i install Ubuntu on my phones sd card can i put it in my laptop...
  4. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  5. Changing the operating system

Changing the operating system: After I install windows 10 many parts in my laptop have broken [dongle, web camera , key board etc]. Now my laptop got automatic repair loop that cannot be stoppable. Only thing I want is a method to buy a genuine product key for windows 7. Can you mention a method to buy it...
  6. How to Change Operating system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Change Operating system: How to Change Window Phone, Window Operating system into Android operating System. Phone (Microsoft Lumia 640 xl Dual Sim) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-operating-system/55af8dba-f940-4e95-bb93-d8470e599967
  7. Change default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  8. Unable to change default program

Unable to change default program: I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media...
  9. Change default program

Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. Default Program won't change?

Default Program won't change?: I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a...