Windows 10: Default save directory for Word not be User.

Discus and support Default save directory for Word not be User. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have recently completed a fresh install of Windows 10 are a SSD crash. I have also installed Office Home and Student 2019. For Windows 10 in File... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by JeffFinnan, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Default save directory for Word not be User.

I have recently completed a fresh install of Windows 10 are a SSD crash. I have also installed Office Home and Student 2019. For Windows 10 in File Explorer, I have the documents icon point to D:\Documents\. In Office I have the Word settings also point to D:\Documents\. However, in reality Word points to D:\Jefff\Documents\ with Jefff being the Windows user.

Is there a way I can get Word and ultimately Excel and PowerPoint to point to the desired D:\Documents\ without the user directory?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.628]

:)

JeffFinnan, Feb 2, 2020

2. Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Default save directory for Word not be User.

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

Default save directory for Word not be User.

1. Default save directory for Word not be User. - Similar Threads - Default save directory

2. set a default directory to always save to

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set a default directory to always save to: How can I set a default directory to always save to on my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-a-default-directory-to-always-save-to/2b3c4397-9b29-4748-85fe-6c17e243e232
  3. Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?: Randomly all of a sudden, I cannot modify existing files/folders in any of the default user directories (Music, Pictures, Documents, etc.) I can create new files/folders but cannot delete, rename, move, etc. them once created or ones that already exist. Permissions show my...
  4. Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?: I have a crowded desktop and reducing the icons in my user desktop directory didn't help much so I figured they're all in the default user directory. but when I went to get in there I go told I had no permission. when I looked at the permissions nothing seemed to have any...
  5. Word defaults

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Word defaults: Can someone tell me how to change, permanently, the default font and size for Word in Office 2019? I refer specifically to the blank document that shows up whenever you start the program. I hate 11 point Calibri. Help. Please?...
  6. C:\users directory?

in Windows 10 Customization
    C:\users directory?: My C:\users directory shows up as C:\Public\US SEAL 7.ico. Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-directory/e798521b-7dab-4ae0-89f6-ade14e8fc0e7
  7. save as (default)_

in Windows 10 Customization
    save as (default)_: Hi Dear Sir... My respect I don't know what happen but since a while when I "SAVE AS" an image it became with extention: .jfif I was before .jpg How i make win10 return to that "save as" default : .jpg Many thanks...
  8. "save as" in Word

"save as" in Word: Suddenly, when I do "save as", there is no list of folders to choose from to save to> What happened? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-in-word/1e3c5119-563f-4c70-9a2b-47420a7938c9"
  9. Default sharing state of C:\Users directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Default sharing state of C:\Users directory: Greetings, i recently noticed that my Windows 10 was network sharing the C:\Users directory to the Administrators group. I tried to browse it with the logged local account (belonging to the Administrators group) with no success. My Windows 10 is currently joined to a domain...
  10. Word does not want to save to a symbolic link directory

Word does not want to save to a symbolic link directory: Hi there, I have opened a file from a symbolic link folder (File is located on another computer in a folder that has been linked as a symbolic link on my computer) When I try to do Save As under a different name on the same folder I get "A file error has occurred" error. If...