Windows 10: Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI

Discus and support Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Mt setup is a laptop with a monitor and every time I reboot the only active screen is the laptop. This only happens with the DVI cable, VGA starts up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/unforeseen_tangent, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI

Mt setup is a laptop with a monitor and every time I reboot the only active screen is the laptop. This only happens with the DVI cable, VGA starts up correctly. I have my settings as 'show only on 2' and 2 set as default monitor. It's not a major problem, I just switch it with Windows + P, but it's a bit annoying. Any idea how to fix this?

submitted by /u/unforeseen_tangent
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/unforeseen_tangent, Dec 2, 2019
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Oskar H. Win User
    DVI (digital) does display boot-up screens, but doesn't display in windows.

One day I started my pc and everything worked fine. After approximately 1 hour the DVI-D signal to my Benq monitor stopped. I turned on my TV that's connect with a HDMI and I saw everything except the DVI signal was working fine.

I restarted my pc and if I remember correctly the DVI-D signal came back normally and I ignored the problem.

The day later I started the pc and the Benq monitor did display boot-up screens but lost signal in windows. Again the TV with HDMI worked fine.

System specifications:
    - Main GPU: Gainward Phantom Geforce GTX 970
    - Backup GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7750
    (never used at the same time)

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3

- motherboard: Gigabyte G1.sniper B5

- RAM: ballistix (4 times 4GB) DDR3 BX Sport

- SSD: Crucial 6Gb/s M500 120GB

- HDD: 1TB SATA Western Digital

Things I tried with Nvidia main card:

• Uninstall Nvidia Graphic driver with DDU (in safe mode)

Result: DVI-D signal at boot up screens but not in windows
    • Empty all disks and reinstall windows 10

Result: DVI-D signal in 480p with basic Microsoft display driver in windows
    • After new windows install, automatic install of the NVidia driver version 353.54

Result: DVI-D signal in 1080p in windows
    • Upgraded driver from 353.54 to NVidia version 359.06 then to 373.70

Result: Both versions worked 1080p in windows. The last upgrade (version 373.70) displayed for a short time (less then a minute) in windows then suddenly the DVI digital signal stopped working. The TV with HDMI still worked in 1080p.
    • Repeating the installation of the drivers above didn't get the DVI signal to work in windows again.
    • Upgrade the driver 353.54 to 372.90 not with device manager and removed the HDMI cable from the Graphics card while installing the NVidia driver

Result: DVI signal in 1080p in windows. after installation I reconnected the HDMI and both screens worked in 1080p. After a restart with both cables connected the DVI did not display in windows.
    • Restart with only the DVI connected

Result: DVI signal in 1080p in windows, after startup I connected the HDMI and both screens worked in 1080p

Things I tried with AMD backup card

• Reinstalled windows and getting latested AMD drivers

result: DVI digital signal in 1080p
    • Next day startup

result: DVI does display boot-up screens, but doesn't display in windows.

Most important is that I didn't get any better then having the DVI signal in windows for a short time or until the next restart.

Note: Every time I uninstalled or reinstalled a driver I followed all steps the installer was giving me. For example I restarted the pc when I may did not describe this in the "thing I tried" section.

I think the problem is in windows because sometimes the DVI randomly works again.

I hope you can help me because I feel I tried everything.

Kind regards,

Oskar H., Dec 2, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI

1. Default screen resets every time I startup, but only on DVI - Similar Threads - Default screen resets

2. Default app reset every singel time after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default app reset every singel time after restart: Hello Team,I set PDF reader as default software to view PDF files. but after system restart, all PDF documents showing as unknown file .again i'm selecting PDF as default file. so default app settings reset after system restart. Will you please suggest the solution....
  3. Default app reset every singel time after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default app reset every singel time after restart: Hello Team,I set PDF reader as default software to view PDF files. but after system restart, all PDF documents showing as unknown file .again i'm selecting PDF as default file. so default app settings reset after system restart. Will you please suggest the solution....
  4. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer: Hello,I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x and it happens that every time I try to replace the default desktop wallpaper with a new one, it reverts to the default desktop every time I restart the computer sometimes the new wallpaper appears...
  5. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer: Hello,I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x and it happens that every time I try to replace the default desktop wallpaper with a new one, it reverts to the default desktop every time I restart the computer sometimes the new wallpaper appears...
  6. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  8. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  9. Default app will be reset every time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  10. Lock screen only appears every other time

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen only appears every other time: Anyone else seeing this issue? If I put my tablet into standby when I wake it I don't get the lock screen and it just goes straight to the start screen or whatever app I was using. If I put it into standby again then I'll get the lock screen the next time I wake it but then...