Windows 10: Default sharing state of C:\Users directory

Discus and support Default sharing state of C:\Users directory in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Greetings, i recently noticed that my Windows 10 was network sharing the C:\Users directory to the Administrators group. I tried to browse it with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DEC85, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DEC85 Win User

Default sharing state of C:\Users directory

Greetings,

i recently noticed that my Windows 10 was network sharing the C:\Users directory to the Administrators group. I tried to browse it with the logged local account (belonging to the Administrators group) with no success. My Windows 10 is currently joined to a domain for which i some times login so i tried the same access with my domain account with no success. Noticing that domain administrators belonged to the Administrator group i logged in with the domain administrator account and could browse the C:\Users of the machine. I Tried the same from other local domain hosts with success if using the domain administrator account.

I'm quite upset and i want to ask why is Windows 10 sharing this important and potentially private directory to the network and if this behavior is default on every other Windows 10 system.

As a side question:

i am trying to activate logon audits in the Local Security Policy (Local Policies>Audit Policy) however the system is resetting the changes (disabling) after a while, during the same login session. Is this normal?

Best regards,

D. C.

:)

DEC85, Dec 7, 2018

2. Windows 10 user directory sharing.

Here's an odd one.

Having just reinstalled several computers I've been trying to figure out why I can't see the user directories across the network. It works out of the box on windows 7, but not on windows 10.

All computers are using local accounts.

On the Windows 7 boxes, when the username/password pair exists on the other computer access is granted to that users directories.

On the Windows 10 boxes it isn't.

The difference and cause is the default setting of public folders sharing.

On Windows 7 public folder sharing is turned on by default.

On Windows 10 public folder sharing is turned off by default.

If you turn on public folder sharing on Windows 10, save the changes, and then reverse the process and turn it off again. Network sharing of user directories for username/password pairs which exist on the local system work just like it does in Windows 7.

DaveDowell, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Moving the location of the default Users directory.

My PC was delivered with the default Users root directory at C:\Users . Unfortunately, the C:| drive is actually a relatively small and fast SSD. I have two decently-sized hard drives on the E:\ and I:\ locations, and I want to move all user data to these
    by default. How do I change the default location of Users?

Stephen.McParlin, Dec 7, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

User folders State is Shared.

Please post results of get-smbshare in powershell. Then you can see for sure what folders are shared.

These are the defaults with the exception of downloads folder which I shared explicitly.

Code:
    Code:
    PS C:\Windows\system32> get-smbshare    Name      ScopeName Path                    Description  ----      --------- ----                    -----------  ADMIN$    *         C:\Windows              Remote Admin  C$        *         C:\                     Default share  Downloads *         C:\Users\Hali\Downloads  IPC$      *                                 Remote IPC  Users     *         C:\Users      PS C:\Windows\system32>
    If you have ever shared anything in C:\Users then C:\Users remains shared.

This quote applies to windows 10 also..
    The C:\Users folder is shared when any sub folders from C:\Users\\ is shared

lx07, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Default sharing state of C:\Users directory - Similar Threads - Default sharing state

2. Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory: Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-user-accounts-in-cusers-directory/ca2d181b-88f4-4338-aeba-e880033fdd90
  3. Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory: Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-user-accounts-in-cusers-directory/ca2d181b-88f4-4338-aeba-e880033fdd90
  4. User folder in the C: root directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder in the C: root directory: I have 8 folders in my User folder. Each folder contains from two to 29 items. Can I copy each of the seven smaller folders into the largest folder and then delete the seven smaller folders?...
  5. Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?: I have a crowded desktop and reducing the icons in my user desktop directory didn't help much so I figured they're all in the default user directory. but when I went to get in there I go told I had no permission. when I looked at the permissions nothing seemed to have any...
  6. C:\Users Directory

C:\Users Directory: Good Afternoon, I have a machine that is a member of a domain. The user account logged onto the machine is a user not an administrator. I run a portable program requires no prior installation as an administrator. I enter domain admin credentials. These domain...
  7. Default save directory for Word not be User.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Default save directory for Word not be User.: I have recently completed a fresh install of Windows 10 are a SSD crash. I have also installed Office Home and Student 2019. For Windows 10 in File Explorer, I have the documents icon point to D:\Documents\. In Office I have the Word settings also point to D:\Documents\....
  8. C:\users directory?

in Windows 10 Customization
    C:\users directory?: My C:\users directory shows up as C:\Public\US SEAL 7.ico. Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-directory/e798521b-7dab-4ae0-89f6-ade14e8fc0e7
  9. c:\users\ the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    c:\users\ the directory name is invalid: If I try to download a pdf OR open some of my own documents I keep getting the error message the directory name is invalid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-the-directory-name-is-invalid/5a4e7ab8-add5-41f4-be72-b7441d994e35
  10. User folders State is Shared.

User folders State is Shared.: I've just noticed that my Document, Download, Pictures folders are showing as State: Shared. I haven't got any Homegroup or network sharing enabled that I'm aware of so why would I be seeing this? [img] 86792