Windows 10: Default Sound Device Issue

Discus and support Default Sound Device Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 and I use a USB sound device - the GOXLR Mini. This gives me a few different sound devices so I can assign different apps to play on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeremyHenry, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Default Sound Device Issue

I have Windows 10 and I use a USB sound device - the GOXLR Mini. This gives me a few different sound devices so I can assign different apps to play on different devices and control the volume independently with physical volume sliders. The problem I am having is that when I use the "App volume and device preferences" in Windows to tell a program to use a specific device for example I tell Chrome to use a sound device called "Music", it will use that device but only until I close Chrome and when I re-open it, it just uses the overall default device which is set to "System", even though it still shows that is it is assigned to use "Music." I then have to assign it to something besides "Music" and then back to "Music" and it will work fine until I restart the program.

The only programs that I don't have to do this with have their own sound settings; Discord for example. I can select within Discord what device I want to use and I never have to mess with that. Anything that has to be set through Windows though, I will have to re-assign the device every time I open the program even though it shows that it should be using the device.

I've poked around online a bit but am struggling to find anyone else having the same issue.

:)

JeremyHenry, Aug 7, 2020

2. Voice chat audio no longer comes through Default communication device (mic works fine)

Hi Samuel,

A factor why you're voice chat sounds goes through your speakers as well is due to configuration settings. We suggest that you configure playback devices. Follow the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound >
      Sound
    • Left-click on Speakers > Click on Set as Default Device.
    • Left-click on Headphones > Select Set as Default Communication Device.
    • Click OK.

If the issue still occurs, contact your device manufacturer's support for assistance on configuring your device.

Let us know what happens after following the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Regile Reb, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Default sound issue and issue with touchpad

Hi Mona,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you connect the headphones while you start the computer? Do you refer to the Startup sound or any other sound?

• Have you made any changes to the computer software/hardware prior to the issue? (As you have told not able to enable or disable the touchpad)

• What is the type of touchpad configured in your computer? Is it
      Precision touchpad or Normal touchpad?
    Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Note: Try to disconnect the headphone while you start the computer and check if you are able to hear the startup sound from the speaker.

As you still face the issue even after changing the defaults to speakers, Restore the default settings for the speakers/headphones and check if it helps.

• Open the start menu, type Sound in the search bar and click on
      Sound from the search bar results.

• Select Playback tab and double click on
      Speakers/headphones.

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Restore defaults
      button.

• Click on Apply and OK button.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Method 2:

Step 1:

Please follow the below steps to enable touchpad. (If you have the precision touchpad)

• Open the Start menu, type Settings in the search bar and click on Settings.

• Click on Devices, select
      Mouse and Touchpad
      on the left navigation pane under the Devices settings window.

• Change the settings to enable touchpad features under
      Touchpad.
    Step 2:

I suggest you to update the touchpad drivers. Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in
    Windows 10

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Default Sound Device Issue

5.1 surround sound issue in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

If you’re connecting an optical cable the settings would be changed so try the following steps

Two options:

1. Use the optical S/PDIF output of your motherboard.

2. Use the HDMI output of your GPU. (This is what I'd recommend if you're using a HDMI display).

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel.

• Select sound.

• Click on playback devices.

For option 1- connect the cable and set the 'Realtek digital output' as default device.

• Then right click on it.

• Go to properties.

• At the rightmost tab select DTS or Dolby Digital or 5.1.
    For option 2-connect the HDMI cable through the receiver and set the 'Nvidia HDMI Output' as your default device. Then click 'Configure' and select 5.1 and check if it helps.

If the issue persist then, I suggest you to connect the speakers directly and check in the realtek audio manager if he gets the 5.1 option or not using the SPDIF\output.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Default Sound Device Issue

1. Default Sound Device Issue - Similar Threads - Default Sound Device

2. Sound settings - default communication device question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound settings - default communication device question: I have multiple audio devices connected to my computer - integrated sound card, HDMI monitors, a USB music recording interface, and USB gaming headset. I have monitoring speakers connected to the music interface Steinberg CI2 and use that as my default audio device, while I...
  3. Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device: Is there an option to let it switch in real time? Only solution atm is to disable and re-enable listening or change the target device every single time. I'd like this feature because I only need the audio of my browser to go through virtual audio cable and pass it on to...
  4. Headset is set as default sound device, and it displays sound, but no sound comes out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset is set as default sound device, and it displays sound, but no sound comes out: My family recently got a new Acer Nitro 50, and when I try and use my bluetooth headset, no sound comes out of the headset. Usually this problem can be fixed by setting the headset as the default sound device, but this time it didn't do anything. My headset works just fine on...
  5. Default device does not play sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default device does not play sound: Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit for this, but it is a Windows 10 problem, so here it goes. Came back to my PC today to no sound in my headphones. The default device is still my headphones, but for some reason, it shows sound playing through Voicemod line. I...
  6. System sounds Output to device other than Default

in Windows 10 Customization
    System sounds Output to device other than Default: The Sound Setting dialog's App volume and device preferences dialog does not appear to let you set theOutput choice for System sounds to anything other thanDefault. If I use a headset for calls, it is handy to have the headset as my default device. I almost never want or...
  7. Windows Sound Device Issues

Windows Sound Device Issues: HI All, im having a sound device issue. Everything was working fine. Then one days all my sound device where gone. Even those for my hdmi port Asus F555L Laptop. I eventually found them in Device manager under System Devices instead of Sound, Video and game controller. I...
  8. Sound Device/Driver Issue

Sound Device/Driver Issue: I use a Dell Alienware 17 laptop which had Realtek audio driver. For some reason I couldn't use the voice chat in Fortnite (the game). So I was trying to uninstall the realtek drivers to reinstall them again. In Device manager I accidentally clicked "unintstall device"...
  9. cannot change default sound device

cannot change default sound device: i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the laptop speakers. so i check the default sound devices to see what's up, and i get this: [img] i am unable to check any...
  10. Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults: My DELL laptop with Win10 is usually coupled to a HD Monitor with speakers. When I disconnect it and go mobile, Win10 doesn't automatically find and default to the laptop's own speakers??? Any ideas please how to get Win10 to handle this? 50797