Windows 10: Default Start Menu/Tiles

Discus and support Default Start Menu/Tiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just a question about the default start menu/tiles. Originally I didn't like the look of the tiles so I removed them however now I'm thinking I may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by matoond, Aug 8, 2015.

1. matoond Win User

Default Start Menu/Tiles

Just a question about the default start menu/tiles. Originally I didn't like the look of the tiles so I removed them however now I'm thinking I may actually like them. So is there a way I can get the default start menu/tiles back?

:)

matoond, Aug 8, 2015

2. Start menu is "see through" and totally empty in Windows 10

Yes, that's the issue. There are no tile automatically shown on the full screen start menu (or on the tablet mode start menu). When I pin apps to the start menu, they stay there, but there are zero tiles by default. Do you have any idea why this is
    happening? I do not think this is normal behavior for Windows 10.

CharlesYarrington, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Missing Tiles/Start Button

That is in no way the default Start Menu. You seem to have installed a third-party replacement, such as
    Classic Shell perhaps. Uninstall it to get back the default Win10 Start Menu with tiles.

RobertJWin, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Default Start Menu/Tiles

I did the same thing. I didn't find a "reset" for it, so I just did a web search for "Windows 10 default start menu", and pinned them back. Here's two I found that are the defaults (I gave two so you know they are the defaults).

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 8, 2015
  5. matoond Win User
    Ok, so how did you get the default back? I've done the same search and everything I have found says to look for 2 specific files located "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows" but they are not there.

matoond, Aug 8, 2015
  6. All the default apps are in the All apps menu when you click on the start button. I just found them, right clicked, clicked "Pin to Start", and then arranged them, and resized them, to match the two screenshots I have above.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 8, 2015
  7. matoond Win User
    Ya, I've been playing around and was beginning to think that is what you did. Thanks a bunch for the info!

matoond, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

Default Start Menu/Tiles

The correct way to do it is create a new user account, look at the start menu to make sure the tiles look right, then logout.
    Login back to the admin account, run task manager, go to services tab and stop the tiledatamodelsvc service, it might take several tries as the service will restart and the PID is the same as StateRepository as you will notice they will either be stopped or running at the same time when you stop the tiledatamodelsvc.

What you want to do is then delete all the files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer where <username> is the user's Start Menu that needs fixing.

Then you just copy C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\vedatamodel.edb and put it in the above folder. The <username> here is the newly created account you just logged out of. After this, just click on the start menu as it will restart the service you just stopped earlier.

Also, what you posted above seems to be how the default start menu looks like a month ago. My start menu failed to work and I reinstalled by doing a in-place install and it seems the tiles are different now, there is no way to even manually add tiles for apps that aren't even installed like Minecraft, I Heart Radio, Flipboard.

Default Start Menu/Tiles [​IMG]

Almighty1, Sep 13, 2015
  9. wps23 Win User
    @Almighty1 I have tried what you suggested, now my start menu is empty, I have tried recopying back the backup I made several times with restarts, however the start menu still remains empty.

wps23, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Default Start Menu/Tiles

1. Default Start Menu/Tiles - Similar Threads - Default Start Menu

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  4. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  5. Default start menu tile size. Bulk resize.

Default start menu tile size. Bulk resize.: I've googled and binged, I've Duck souped and magellaned.... Surely Microsoft isn't so dimwitted so as to not provide the opportunity to set a default tile size (I prefer small) for start menu tiles. Or the ability to mass-resize (shift-click - something) so that the start...
  6. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  7. Start menu tiles with default file icon - how to solve it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles with default file icon - how to solve it?: Hi! After reinstalling Windows 10.1709 x64 Pro I pinned to start menu program shortcuts and they have icon same as default file (no extension) and text only. Some tiles have icon and only really live tiles are ok, look: [img] This is default icon [img] How to solve...
  8. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  9. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326
  10. Windows 10 Default Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Default Start Menu Tiles: Greetings everyone: Can someone post a picture of the default live tiles on the start menu that comes with Windows 10 as basically my Start Menu stopped working and Windows Store would not work while the other apps did. I do not have a C:\Windows\WinStore directory. I did...