Windows 10: Default User Account Image is broken

Discus and support Default User Account Image is broken in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since the May update, I have a new User Account Image. This is disconcerting and makes me think something is wrong with the update, or my install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by justinCTU, Jun 17, 2020.

1. justinCTU Win User

Default User Account Image is broken

Since the May update, I have a new User Account Image. This is disconcerting and makes me think something is wrong with the update, or my install of it.

I can choose a new icon, but the other icon is still there as the "Default". any idea how this could have happened, or how to address? It looks like a hacky low res version of windows messenger icon or something.

Default User Account Image is broken c6a5ff7e-db5e-4e20-a71f-8b243a3eef29?upload=true.jpg

:)

justinCTU, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Jim8080 Win User

Lost my default user account

My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available.

Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure what I would see if I had opened my Microsoft account. I guess something happened.

I shut down and restarted my computer and to my surprise I was asked for a password. I don't recall what happened when I originally set up the computer, but would have eliminated the password, if possible. I fiddled around, not sure what to do, and accidentally selected Windows User when I started the computer again. Now I'm not asked, and Windows User is automatically used.

My default account is still on the computer. I started with Administrator privileges, and ran C:\WINDWS\system32>net user and it is listed as the default account (WDAGUtilityAccount is listed under the Default Account heading). Windows User is the guest account.

I attempted to use System Restore from the Windows User Account but it was off. Since it is a different account, it probably would not have helped.
    Any suggestions? Jim

Jim8080, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Dear Kari,

I'm supporting an enterprise deployment and we're using Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB (which reports as "Version 10.0 (Build 10240)" in 'winver'). I've performed the following steps:

• Clean install
    • Audit mode
    • Customisation
      • Drivers
      • Software
      • No updates
      • Kari's quickaccess cleaner .bat
    • sysprep (generalize, oobe, unattend.xml specifying copyprofile=true)
    • deploy image

This is fine, and Windows Search works for all created user accounts...

...UNLESS
    Windows Update is run. As soon as it is, it installs Security Update KB3135174, and any subsequently created user accounts receive a broken search. If KB3135174 is removed, new user accounts get a working search, and existing accounts that had a broken search start working. If it's reinstalled, new user accounts get a broken search again.

Do I have any options, or do I have to just give up on the customised default profile?

CanadianGooses, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Default User Account Image is broken

New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Default User Account Image is broken

1. Default User Account Image is broken - Similar Threads - Default User Account

2. User account control broken and only option is 'No'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account control broken and only option is 'No': Very recently after attempting to play a game that has worked completely fine without any issues till this point i was prompted with a window under user account control asking for a username and password, this is weird as i only have one account on this computer and it has no...
  3. User account control broken and only option is 'No'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account control broken and only option is 'No': Very recently after attempting to play a game that has worked completely fine without any issues till this point i was prompted with a window under user account control asking for a username and password, this is weird as i only have one account on this computer and it has no...
  4. User account image at log-on

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account image at log-on: Win10 Pro 21H1 I don't want to see any image/icon mucking up my beautiful log-in screen. I can not, after reading and following dozens of threads, seem to delete it. I have deleted all images in these locations:...
  5. default user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default user accounts: I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is...
  6. Cortana Window is broken, not working in default user account

in Cortana
    Cortana Window is broken, not working in default user account: In my default user account, Cortana is not working. When I click Cortana icon, it opens, but it neither responds to you, nor the buttons on it respond. It kind of hangs. After a few seconds, it disappears. The hang isssue also affects the Window we see when we type...
  7. Lost my default user account

Lost my default user account: My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it...
  8. Lost my default user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost my default user account: My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it...
  9. Delete Default User Accounts

Delete Default User Accounts: The attached shows 3 Default-related users in my Users folder. Most of the folders are empty or lead to a long string of other folders, the last of which is empty. Some actual files exist, but would be meaningful only if the main Default folder is important. Can I delete any...
  10. System Image with separate user accounts

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image with separate user accounts: Just a quick question. Can I make a system image of recent Windows 10 install which has been set up with two user accounts (one is a child's account) with their own different set-ups, programs etc. If so - which account do I use to select to make a system image from. Just...