Windows 10: default user accounts

Discus and support default user accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mrdakin, May 3, 2020.

1. mrdakin Win User

default user accounts

I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is set up in user accounts as administrator. I have since deleted his account, set up my own account an changed my account to administrator and am now the only user. I have created a folder in C:/users with my name, however, when I install anything that would normally put any items in the C:/user directory under what I assume is supposed to be the owner/administrator account directory or download many types of things, it is still putting ALL of it into "steve's" directory, not mine! How can I correct this? What do I need to do to get this to work right?

Also, I am running into instances all the time, mostly when I try to delete files or directories or even just move/cut/paste that I know I no longer need, many of which I created MYSELF, I am getting this message telling me I need admin permission to do that with options to "try again" or "cancel" and it seems no matter what I do, I can't move/cut/paste/delete! Any help would be appreciated!

:)

mrdakin, May 3, 2020
  2. Jim8080 Win User

Lost my default user account

My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available.

Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure what I would see if I had opened my Microsoft account. I guess something happened.

I shut down and restarted my computer and to my surprise I was asked for a password. I don't recall what happened when I originally set up the computer, but would have eliminated the password, if possible. I fiddled around, not sure what to do, and accidentally selected Windows User when I started the computer again. Now I'm not asked, and Windows User is automatically used.

My default account is still on the computer. I started with Administrator privileges, and ran C:\WINDWS\system32>net user and it is listed as the default account (WDAGUtilityAccount is listed under the Default Account heading). Windows User is the guest account.

I attempted to use System Restore from the Windows User Account but it was off. Since it is a different account, it probably would not have helped.
    Any suggestions? Jim

Jim8080, May 3, 2020
  3. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, May 3, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

default user accounts

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, May 3, 2020
Thema:

default user accounts

1. default user accounts - Similar Threads - default user accounts

2. Creating a User certificate CSR for default admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Creating a User certificate CSR for default admin account: Hello, we plan on deploying factory fresh Windows 10 machines to our users direct from manufacturer. They will initially connect to our VPN for 'domain-joining' of their factory fresh laptops, However, our VPN connection requires a user certificate for authentication. How...
  3. Default User Account Image is broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default User Account Image is broken: Since the May update, I have a new User Account Image. This is disconcerting and makes me think something is wrong with the update, or my install of it. I can choose a new icon, but the other icon is still there as the "Default". any idea how this could have happened, or how...
  4. TEMP User account is now default. Need to restore my user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TEMP User account is now default. Need to restore my user account: After Updating automatically, my PC is showing the TEMP User, not my user account. I can't get to my user account. Help! Files are all on my PC, but I can't access them in the TEMP User mode. How do I restore my settings to my own User account? Thank you in advance....
  5. Default Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Users: Hi there, I've got my Windows 10 that came with a laptop I bought about an year ago. I wasn't using it so much and I am not much of a geek anymore. Before I used to customise absolutely everything that I have to touch. Well I still got some of that and at the moment there...
  6. My default user account has been deleted, How can I change my default user account to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My default user account has been deleted, How can I change my default user account to...: Hi. So a long time ago the default account I was using for this PC for some reason has turned completely black and there was only an error showing on the screen. My brother and I didn't find a solution anywhere for fixing it, So he decided to delete it. Then I started to...
  7. Lost my default user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost my default user account: My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it...
  8. Lost my default user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost my default user account: My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it...
  9. can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user": when I create a new user account I can't log into it error: profSvc service failed I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User But I don't seem to have such a folder. I defined view settings to show hidden files and also system files, but I don't see...
  10. Delete Default User Accounts

Delete Default User Accounts: The attached shows 3 Default-related users in my Users folder. Most of the folders are empty or lead to a long string of other folders, the last of which is empty. Some actual files exist, but would be meaningful only if the main Default folder is important. Can I delete any...