Windows 10: Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

Discus and support Default User Directory No Permission - is that right? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a crowded desktop and reducing the icons in my user desktop directory didn't help much so I figured they're all in the default user directory.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Sep 7, 2020.

1. abrogard Win User

Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

I have a crowded desktop and reducing the icons in my user desktop directory didn't help much so I figured they're all in the default user directory.

but when I went to get in there I go told I had no permission.

when I looked at the permissions nothing seemed to have any permissions. I am logged in as an admin.

What should the situation be and how can I safely change it to let me clean up some of those desktop icons?

win10 latest ver

:)

abrogard, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Default save directory for Word not be User.

Jeff,

I found some screenshots that show that I also had to take some action in the System tray [the "Notification area" in Win10-speak] -

- Step 1 - SysTray, right-click on OneDrive icon, select Settings

Default User Directory No Permission - is that right? [​IMG]
    - Step 2 - clear the checkbox for starting with Windows
    Default User Directory No Permission - is that right? [​IMG]

Whilst my written notes do not refer to this action, I must have done it in order to have taken screenshots of doing so. And some of the trimmed-out bits of the screenshots prove that I was in a local account [not an MSAccount] when I did this.

Denis

Try3, Sep 7, 2020
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with the search index.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any error code/error message while trying to search?
    2. May I know the error code or error message that you’re receiving when you try to install the software?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?

Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below to fix the issue with the search index.

Method 1

Check if the Windows Search service is running

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key) and type in
      services.msc.
    2. Scroll down and look for Windows Search from the list.
    3. Click on Windows Search entry. In the Status column (see above picture), you will see Running if the service is running. Ensure that the Startup type is Automatic or Automatic (delayed) by checking the Startup type column.

Method 2

Rebuild Search Index

1. Click on Start, type in Indexing Options and press
      Enter.
    2. Once the Indexing Options is launched, click the ‘Advanced’ button to open
      Advanced Options.
    3. Click on Rebuild button under ‘Troubleshooting’ section.
    4. Click on OK button and Windows 10 will start rebuilding the search index. It might take time to complete the process.
    5. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

In regards to your query about SYSTEM permissions, it is not recommended to assign full control to SYSTEM under permissions. However, the default permissions for the Desktop folder are 'System', 'User of that particular account'
    and the 'Administrator'.

Refer the steps mentioned below to configure User permissions for Files and Folders.

1. Right click on the specific folder you wish to modify and select
      Properties.
    2. Click on Security tab to view all the names of the users or group along with their list of permissions.
    3. Click on Edit button.
    4. Choose the account for which you want to make any changes under the
      Group or user names segment.
    5. Allow and Deny are the two options available under
      Permissions for Authenticated Users.
    6. Give permissions for each operation by choosing the access or deny checkboxes.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

Method 3

If you wish to return the system to using its default permissions, I would suggest you to create a new user account, transfer all the required data to the new account and check if it works for you. This is because creating
    the new user account will create that account with the default permissions.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account
    in Windows 10
    for the steps.

Note: You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Default User Directory No Permission - is that right?

1. Default User Directory No Permission - is that right? - Similar Threads - Default User Directory

2. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  3. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  4. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  5. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  6. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Default save directory for Word not be User.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Default save directory for Word not be User.: I have recently completed a fresh install of Windows 10 are a SSD crash. I have also installed Office Home and Student 2019. For Windows 10 in File Explorer, I have the documents icon point to D:\Documents\. In Office I have the Word settings also point to D:\Documents\....
  8. Default sharing state of C:\Users directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Default sharing state of C:\Users directory: Greetings, i recently noticed that my Windows 10 was network sharing the C:\Users directory to the Administrators group. I tried to browse it with the logged local account (belonging to the Administrators group) with no success. My Windows 10 is currently joined to a domain...
  9. Is there a default for User Permission settings?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is there a default for User Permission settings?: As a less than knowledgeable computer user I stupidly changed my User "Permission Allow" check marks. I now get a "failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied." Of coarse I didn't write down what was originally checked off in the "Allow" box. Would there...
  10. How to reset default file permissions for these directories?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset default file permissions for these directories?: The other day, I was trying to fix Windows Default Apps not working by adding "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" to the following directories as indicated here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317 However, it seems to have messed up the permissions as what I did was...