Windows 10: Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in

Discus and support Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; While inspecting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\winlogon I noticed the Default User Name still holds a previous record of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Rose W, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in

While inspecting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\winlogon I noticed the Default User Name still holds a previous record of previous ISP email address existing previous to Jan 2015.
    I did go into the Microsoft account and change the default email for the Win10 Microsoft Acct when I changed servers.
    Obviously, there hasn't been an issue with this inaccurate registry default user entry but I wondered if it should be changed in the registry.

The reason I went to that registry entry was due to the Pin log in routine.
    Yesterday the pin log in was not acceptable and I had to use the original password. The Anniversary update kb3189866 has been installed for a few days so it isn't a direct result.
    I thought it might be connected to the fact I was trying to get a share working from the laptop(Home,MS account) to the Desktop (Pro, local account, no log in).It was an unsuccessful effort.
    This morning the laptop log in was a choice structure -use password or use pin-2 icons. Previously I just started typing the Pin into the log in bar.
    Is this the log in routine now?

:)

Rose W, Sep 19, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

How to change local account name?

Jayson,

This sounds like you are logged in to an MSAccount not a local user account.

The user account name for an MSAccount is set in your online MSAccount and cannot be altered on the computer.

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 19, 2016
  3. User accounts log off immediately

Hi Sam,

I found this solution that you may want to try. It's a registry edit so make sure you back up your registry files before preforming

I found the solution
    here

You may not be able to log on to system using either Normal Mode or Safe Mode. This occur only when Winlogon service tries to load the Windows default shell (explorer.exe) and user shell (userinit.exe) from registry. This service searches for Explorer.exe and
    Userinit.exe in the following path of registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Edit these values and type the correct path of shell :

Shell = explorer.exe

Userinit=X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

NOTE: These files may also be deleted by spywares. You may need to extract them using Windows CD.

Steps for rectifying this problem:

• Log on to a networked computer.
    • Run Regedit.exe
    • Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • Select File > Connect Remote Registry
    • Type computer name (infected computer)
    • Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

• Edit these two values in right pane:

Shell

Userinit

• Change these two values to
    Shell=explorer.exe

Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• Exit from Registry
    • Restart Infected computer.
    • You should be able to log on to computer.

EricBlakeIT, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Rose W Win User

Just a followup to the two icons for a choice of log in with password or with pin.
    Yesterday I assumed it was a change of log in format after the recent update. I clicked on the pin icon and logged in.
    Today the login screen was back to the usual empty box waiting for the pin- no extra icons displayed for the choices.
    Who knows what was happening but it has resolved itself somehow.

Rose W, Sep 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in - Similar Threads - Default User Name

2. Cannot log in windows 11 with default user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot log in windows 11 with default user name: Since last evening 1/25/2023 I can not log in my personal computer w/windows 11. I used to log in with default user name *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and input password directly. Yesterday evening, it said that "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a...
  3. Cannot log in windows 11 with default user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot log in windows 11 with default user name: Since last evening 1/25/2023 I can not log in my personal computer w/windows 11. I used to log in with default user name *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and input password directly. Yesterday evening, it said that "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a...
  4. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  5. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  6. Changing default user name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing default user name: Hello, I was wondering if there's a way to change the default user name to another so all the software/programs, including Dropbox, can be addressed to the new user folder. For example, the Windows is currently under the username "AaBb" so it defaults to...
  7. Check Userinit setting in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon if...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Check Userinit setting in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon if...: I had removed the Win/7 Pro SP1 x86 PC from the Domain and uninstalled some applications such as Liquidware Labs Profile Unity, as they no longer applied to the PC's future use. After Media Creation Tool successfully generated a 32-bit Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro x86 Feature...
  8. Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM: I have a very simple utility I found that has a few settings. If you make changes those settings are stored in HKCU\Software and then the product name\Settings. I want to install the utility so that anyone on the machine that logs on has those same settings, so I installed...
  9. How to change windows defaulting to "Other User" on log in?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change windows defaulting to "Other User" on log in?: Hey guys, When I first turn on my pc I am met with the log in screen that says "Other User". When I first installed windows it would show my user account, and I would just have to type in my pin code then I'm in. I don't know how this was changed because I don't believe I...
  10. Replacing a laptop (log in MSAccount)

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop (log in MSAccount): I log in with a pin to the current laptop. I'm replacing this laptop this week. Will it automatically show up in the list of equipment in my MSAccount? I looked through tutorials but wasn't clear on exactly what topic this fitted into. Do I continue to log in with the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to Change these two values to Shell=explorer.exe in cmd Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe Exit from Registry

2. how to change user in winlogon service