Windows 10: Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported

Discus and support Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system includes dozens of default applications that are available by default right after installation on first run.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 24, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported

Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system includes dozens of default applications that are available by default right after installation on first run. Some of these applications provide core functionality, like photo viewing, media playing or plain text editing. Others have a narrow focus that is of use to a small subset of Windows users only.

Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported windows-11-actual-app-storage-space.png

Many of the preinstalled apps can be removed from the Windows machine, either through Settings > Apps, PowerShell commands, or by using a program like winget, the Windows Packet Manager. The apps occupy disk space and some administrators may want to remove them to free up space on a drive

When it comes to determining the actual size these apps occupy, administrators will run into roadblocks. The Settings > Apps listing is useless for this, as many of the default Windows apps are listed with a few Kilobytes of size only.

Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported windows-11-app-sizes.png

The storage readings are not correct. The reason for the low number that is reported for preinstalled Windows apps is that these applications may be installed into multiple folders. Microsoft's Settings application returns the size of one of the folders as it ignores any other folder that stores application files.

The same is true when you run regular PowerShell commands to return application listings.

Michael Niehaus analyzed the behavior on Windows 11. He published his findings in a blog post on his website and created a PowerShell script that returns the full size of default applications on Windows systems.

The PowerShell script is available as a download. Just download the zip archive to the local system and extract it to get started.

Use the Start Menu to launch an elevated PowerShell prompt, navigate to the folder the script is stored in, and run .\Get-AppSizes.ps1 -online | Out-GridView to get the output.

Note that you need to allow the execution of third-party scripts and select "run once" when prompted to run it. Cautious users may look at the code before they run the script to make sure it is safe to run.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | % {
    # Get the main app package location using the manifest
    $loc = Split-Path ( [Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables($_.InstallLocation) ) -Parent
    If ((Split-Path $loc -Leaf) -ieq 'AppxMetadata') {
    $loc = Split-Path $loc -Parent
    }
    # Get a pattern for finding related folders
    $matching = Join-Path -Path (Split-Path $loc -Parent) -ChildPath "$($_.DisplayName)*"
    $size = (Get-ChildItem $matching -Recurse -ErrorAction Ignore | Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum).Sum
    # Add the results to the output
    $_ | Add-Member -NotePropertyName Size -NotePropertyValue $size
    $_ | Add-Member -NotePropertyName InstallFolder -NotePropertyValue $loc
    $_
    } | Select DisplayName, PackageName, Version, InstallFolder, Size

The PowerShell script opens a new window, that lists each application in its own row. Each app is listed with its name, package name, install folder, version and size. The size is listed in bytes. Most apps have a size of ten Megabytes and more. Some, YourPhone, Windows Store, Windows Communication Apps, or Microsoft Teams, are much larger than that.

Closing Words

Microsoft should readjust the size readings in the Apps listing of the Settings application, as the small sizes of the installed apps give users and administrators an incorrect impression.

Now You: do you remove preinstalled apps on your machines? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 24, 2022
  2. Mussels Win User

Windows 7 + GPU-Z size issue

It should be noted that w1zzard is aware of this issue, what we want is more people with the same problem to come forward and report any information they can.

Problem: GPU-Z is too big.

Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported [​IMG]

Thats my GPU-Z on the right, sitting on top of a browser window (the GPU-Z page) showing the size difference.

How to reproduce it:

1. Must be running windows 7
    2. Must be on a high resolution display (1080p and above?)
    3. windows must DEFAULT you to the following setting of 125%

The exact problem is that when you are defaulted to 125%, everything is made larger.
    When you drop to 100%, GPU-Z doesnt drop with it.

This same problem used to occur on CPU-Z as well, screenshot for proof

We just anyone else with this issue to step forward, w1zzards not going to bother fixing it if its just me.

notes:
    • if you default to 100%, you can change up and down problem free
    • we beleive the default is chosen when you install windows, but we arent sure.

Mussels, Apr 24, 2022
  3. Sizing the tool bars in windows live mail

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your response.

There is no such options available to particularly make texts larger in such sections.

The only option you can try is to Hold the Ctrl + Mouse Scroll to increase
    the text size/Zoom the text size.

I would also suggest you to check the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Start button.
    • Type Larger or Smaller, Select the Make text and other items Larger or Smaller.
    • Try adjusting the Font Size and check.
    Note: This options changes the Fonts on the whole in Windows depending on the selections of option.

Example: Taskbar, Menus.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 24, 2022
  4. SusanZy Win User

Unable to Change Font/Icon size from Setting app in Windows 10

Old title: Change Font/Icon size

Windows 10 takes care of this issue by supporting per-display DPI scaling to address. By default, Windows 8.1 will choose the optimum DPI scaling value for each display based on the value
    chosen for overall scaling in the control panel.

You can change Modern UI text size by following the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Click on Display.
    • Now change the font size according to your choice.

When I attempt to follow these directions, the slider bar to make the font larger is at the far left. I can drag it to the right but as soon as I drop it, it bounces back to the left and therefore does NOT change the font size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Susan Z

SusanZy, Apr 24, 2022
Thema:

1. Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported - Similar Threads - Default apps much

2. C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller: My C:/Users shows 540 gb of "size" and 31gb of "size on disk" while the C disk only has 146gb. My laptop runs properly but I don't think this is normal. Is it an error or something that can be explained?...
  3. C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller: My C:/Users shows 540 gb of "size" and 31gb of "size on disk" while the C disk only has 146gb. My laptop runs properly but I don't think this is normal. Is it an error or something that can be explained?...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  5. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  6. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

7. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  8. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  9. Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?

Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?: My folders of photos are showing properties of a much larger size than is physically possible on my laptop, this is not showing up as an issue on the laptop, but I can't back them up effectively as have already used up a 2TB drive for a small portion of them ! I've seen some...
  10. why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?

why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?: context: I have a netbook that came with 32-bit Win 7 Starter edition. I've dutifully updated it to Win 10 1803 and am having trouble with further updates The C: partition is about 50GiB. About 10GiB is free. The disk is partitioned using MBR I don't think that the...