Windows 10: Default windows apps won't open

Discus and support Default windows apps won't open in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hello, I recently did a soft reset on my desktop to keep my files and after I was unable to open the Microsoft store, Xbox app, calendar, calculator... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Damian637, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Damian637 Win User

Default windows apps won't open

Hello, I recently did a soft reset on my desktop to keep my files and after I was unable to open the Microsoft store, Xbox app, calendar, calculator and other default apps. The apps become grayed out with a black bar below them. I've tried multiple terminal commands to reset the apps, I've now done multiple hard resets and clearing both hard drives. I've run msreset and none of it has worked. Any help would be really appreciated.

:)

Damian637, Feb 4, 2021

2. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 4, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default windows apps won't open :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Default windows apps won't open

default apps not opening in windows 10

Hi,

• Run the SFC.
    Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.

• Select “Run as Administrator”.

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.

• I would suggest you to run the App troubleshooter and check if that fixes the issue.
    a. Open Control Panel and click on troubleshooting.

b. Click on View All. Click on Windows Apps. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Also refer to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Anannya Podder, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Default windows apps won't open

1. Default windows apps won't open - Similar Threads - Default apps won't

2. Windows 10 default apps won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 default apps won't open: I tried to open up a photo last night and i got an error saying that photos weren't available. Tired another picture on a different drive and got the same issue. Went to try and reinstall photos from the microsoft store but it wouldn't open and dissapeared from my taskbar....
  3. Windows 10 default apps won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 default apps won't open: I tried to open up a photo last night and i got an error saying that photos weren't available. Tired another picture on a different drive and got the same issue. Went to try and reinstall photos from the microsoft store but it wouldn't open and dissapeared from my taskbar....
  4. Windows 10 default apps won't open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows default apps not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows default apps not opening: I reset my password and re named my account by doing these steps windows +r control userpasswords2 clicked on profile properties changed username, clicked off clicked reset password, and clicked apply and then ok right after i tried opening setting to change my lockscreen,...
  6. Microsoft and all the default Apps won't open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft and all the default Apps won't open: Hey, this is my first time asking in this forum and I have this problem. Microsoft Store is not listed in the Apps & Features on Settings so when I open App settings, Settings just closes itself itself but all the default apps like Camera, Calendar, Alarms & Clock, 3D Viewer...
  7. Default Windows Apps Won't Update

Default Windows Apps Won't Update: Hello, Today I was trying to update my PC's apps, but I was unable to perform the updates from Microsoft Store. In the screenshot, you can see that i have updated the Groove Music app, but you can see in the taskbar that the app remains to be its old self....
  8. My default apps won't open???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My default apps won't open???: Okay so i tried to open my Mail but it said "explorer.exe Class not registered" and so i thought there was a bugs i tried to troubleshoot my computer (i'm running windows 10) so it can fix bugs nut my settings wont open either! i thought maybe it had to do with internet...
  9. Default Apps won't open or re-install, No Store App since......

Default Apps won't open or re-install, No Store App since......: Hello Guys, Sorry to keep bothering you but just when my Win 10 install runs well and I feel safe with it something else goes wrong, following on from my problem in this post Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!, I'll do a brief summary below. 1. Basically Windows...
  10. Action Center won't open / Default apps dpm

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Action Center won't open / Default apps dpm: Action center won't open, when trying to open .jpg images it comes up with "The remove prodecure call failed" but if I try again it opens. When I open calculator the first time it's all grey, but if I close it and open it again it works fine. Sometimes explorer stops...