Windows 10: Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents

Discus and support Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A 500GB WD Blue drive just failed (unrecognized by BIOS, unrecognized in USB case, clicking, etc) on a friend's laptop, Lenovo Ideapad 110.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbobs, Dec 15, 2019.

1. jimbobs Win User

Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents

A 500GB WD Blue drive just failed (unrecognized by BIOS, unrecognized in USB case, clicking, etc) on a friend's laptop, Lenovo Ideapad 110. Fortunately, the owner says that he has any important contents backed up elsewhere. With nothing to loose, I have left the drive in the freezer for a few hours and am going to see if I can get access to it shortly. My plan is to put in into a USB 3 case, plug it into a USB 3 port, and then use Teracopy to copy C:\ to the host computer. Is there a better strategy?

As I said, the owner tells me the contents are unimportant but I suspect he's forgetting stuff like bookmarks, software keys, etc which is why I'd like to get a copy if possible (just to avoid the endless followup queries, if nothing else). Plus I'm curious to see if the freezer trick works on this drive.

:)

jimbobs, Dec 15, 2019
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents :)

dhdude, Dec 15, 2019
  3. Copy PC contents to external hard drive

I have installed Windows 10 on my PC. Typically I back up the entire contents of my PC on an external hard drive. I once had a hard drive crash and learned the hard way about the value of complete external backups for a PC.

The procedure I used with Windows 8.1 does not seem to apply to Windows 10. Which item on this list "This PC, Desktop, Documents Downloads, Music Pictures HPLJP1000-1500 (C)" should I select to copy everything (including Windows 10) on my external hard
    drive?

David Skier, Dec 15, 2019
  4. gumpty Win User

Fastest hard drive for the price

If you want the fastest conventional hard drive, I would suggest getting the best deal you can for either a WD Caviar Black or Samsung F3.

gumpty, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents - Similar Threads - Defective hard drive

2. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fastest Way to reset old laptop: Hi guys.I need to reset my laptop. It is a 5 - 6-year-old hp laptop with windows 11 version and an Intel i3 processor. Can you guys tell any efficient way to reset my laptop completely and thoroughly? I am currently thinking of doing a complete reset and deleting all files...
  3. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fastest Way to reset old laptop: Hi guys.I need to reset my laptop. It is a 5 - 6-year-old hp laptop with windows 11 version and an Intel i3 processor. Can you guys tell any efficient way to reset my laptop completely and thoroughly? I am currently thinking of doing a complete reset and deleting all files...
  4. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Copying to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  6. Fastest way besides clean boot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fastest way besides clean boot.: What is the easier way besides clean boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fastest-way-besides-clean-boot/9fa8ff65-582b-4242-8c8b-35256b6729cd
  7. easy fastest way to install w10 onto a 2nd drive?

easy fastest way to install w10 onto a 2nd drive?: problem: the 'cloning' softwares does not let me 'clone' the hdd to the sdd question #1: why? the disks looks like this: Imgur: The magic of the Internet - 1 hdd with w10 installed, is activated - did the windows updates is laptop, nothing really on it yet dunno which...
  8. Full copy of a hard drive?

Full copy of a hard drive?: Is it possible to make an entire copy of your Windows 10 hard drive installation with all existing programs so everything (and I do mean everything) can be transferred to a new SSD drive?...
  9. Hard drive is failing, is there a way to copy Windows 10 OS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive is failing, is there a way to copy Windows 10 OS?: I just checked that my hard drive is failing. Fortunately, I can still use it at this moment and backed up everything, but there's one thing I want to back up which I don't know how to. If I were to buy a new hard drive, is there a way I could use my Win10 OS , which is...
  10. Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10: I have Win10 and a 2 Terabyte external drive. I want to hang small old drives off the machine and copy their contents (200G, 100G, stuff like that) to that 2 Tera drive so's I can then wipe them and perhaps use them for other purposes. Windows copy seems uncertain. I...