Windows 10: Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How

Discus and support Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How can CPU use be cut back?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Red Rover 1, May 12, 2019.

1. Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How

Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How can CPU use be cut back?

:)

Red Rover 1, May 12, 2019

2. Antimalware Service Executable taking up high CPU for several hours!

No, it usually did not for me either, until today.

Posting system specs is a little off-topic, because my problem is that even though I do this step:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nder-antivirus

- The Antimalware Service Executable still runs high. I have a pretty good CPU and this has never been a problem until today.

My computer is neither new or old. It was installed 1½ years ago. I never had any problems until today.

I did this step:

That "note" is my problem... it still scans, and it is still scanning while I am writing this.

I already set the Exclusions to the Windows Defender path. Did not work either.

philosopher, May 12, 2019
  3. afornal Win User
    Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, May 12, 2019
  4. Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How

Defender AntiVirus

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this to Microsoft Community. Let's try to start Windows Defender services and see if it helps. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows + R key and type
      Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How [​IMG]
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for the service "Windows Defender".
    • Right click on "Windows Defender" and click Properties.
    • Click Start button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save changes.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Marvin Barc, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How

1. Defender Antivirus Service is using a lot of CPU and slowing my computer down severely. How - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus Service

2. Antimalware service executable using lot of memory and cpu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Antimalware service executable using lot of memory and cpu.: I checked the task manager and found out that the antimalware service executable is using a lot of memory and cpu everytime.Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-executable-using-lot-of-memory/7287fedd-93e6-4a1d-a248-5219f90011ac
  3. Antivirus uses cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antivirus uses cpu: I have a problem that every few minutes my cpu usage goes up to 100% and then it goes down to 10%. The AVG antivirus uses most of processor. Is it like a scanning procedure or is it some malware? I don’t think it’s a malware cause I made some scans in AVG and Avira I was also...
  4. Antivirus uses cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Antivirus uses cpu: I have a problem that every few minutes my cpu usage goes up to 100% and then it goes down to 10%. The AVG antivirus uses most of processor. Is it like a scanning procedure or is it some malware? I don’t think it’s a malware cause I made some scans in AVG and Avira I was also...
  5. Antivirus uses cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Service Host:Local Service Windows Audio uses a lot of CPU

Service Host:Local Service Windows Audio uses a lot of CPU: For a few days now I've been noticing a high usage for my CPU, when i open task manager i see "Service Host:Local Service" at the top with 20% and very high power usage.This happens randomly during the day and i need to restart the computer or use cmd commands to temporarily...
  7. Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU: Anytime I open Task Manager, the leading item is always Windows Defender Smartscreen using between 30 and 40 % CPU. Is that typical, or do I have some sort of conflict going on? If the latter, how to resolve it? Thanks....
  8. Service host : Server using lots of CPU and RAM

Service host : Server using lots of CPU and RAM: Hi, Today I found out that the RAM and CPU of my laptop are being overutilized. Service host is using a lot of resources. Steps followed till now: 1 Ran DISM restore health. 2 Disabled some startup programs and updated drivers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  9. windows defender antivirus service is using 20% of cpu all time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender antivirus service is using 20% of cpu all time: But it doesnt run any scan! why does this happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-antivirus-service-is-using-20-of/92cb2c2a-2e73-47f5-9078-9682843265aa
  10. Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU: This is not normal. The Windows Defender SmartScreen is using right 27% of the CPU capacity. How can i solve this? submitted by /u/versattes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/en9h1w/windows_defender_smartscreen_using_a_lot_of_cpu/