Windows 10: Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It

Discus and support Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; While this is not a new problem, it appears to be affecting more and more of the users, that post in this forum.Defender can repeatedly identify the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GlenProuty, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It

While this is not a new problem, it appears to be affecting more and more of the users, that post in this forum.Defender can repeatedly identify the same malware, over and over again. And the notification in Protection History, includes the ominous message, that the "malware has not been remediated."While it is not clear, what the circumstances are that produce this phenomenon, the malware actually has in fact,already been remediated, in most cases.For some unknown reason, Defender tends to "Detect" items that have been left in its Protection History, and reports them as current threats. Eve

:)

GlenProuty, Oct 3, 2021

2. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 3, 2021
  3. Frequent message: ''found some malware windows defender removing it"

If you’re getting repeated notifications that malware was found and removed, then you don’t want to hide the problem – you want to fix it, because this could very well mean that the detected malware is actually not
    being removed.

This is a very old problem with Microsoft AV apps: When remediation fails, you don’t get any notification about the failure – you just get repeating notifications that the malware was found and cleaned. So repeated notifications
    about malware being cleaned quite often (but not always) means that you need to do the cleanup yourself. It's important to realize that these repeating messages
    don’t mean that Defender is just doing its job as usual, as was claimed in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...oving-it/aa0b864e-0ab5-4a4c-98f0-f6053319852f

The first thing you should do when you see repeating malware alerts is look in the
    History tab and check the detection path (and also look for remediation errors). You would inspect the detection path in order to ascertain whether or not the detected file is something that you can remove yourself, either manually,
    or with Disk Cleanup (temporary Internet files, System Restore points, Java cache files, temp folders, and so forth).

If not, then you should probably start in directly with the standard third-party malware-removal tools. These tools are essential for dealing with Windows Defender remediation failures, because these apps often have better detection
    and remediation capabilities, and they're likely to succeed in removing malware where Windows Defender fails. And they might also be able to remove some additional
    undetected malware that's actually impeding the remediation of the detected malware. This is important, because undetected malware is quite often responsible for remediation failures, reinfections, and rapid-fire infections of
    new malware:

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool:

Free Virus Removal Tool | Free Virus Scanner and Cleaner | Kaspersky

Emsisoft Emergency Kit:

Emsisoft - Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version only):

Antivirus for Windows 10 | Windows Antivirus | Malwarebytes Windows 10

Eset Online Scanner:

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

GreginMich, Oct 3, 2021
  4. Le Boule Win User

Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It

Get message Defender is removing Malware.

Sounds like the malware detections may be in a browser.

Can you give us the complete name/file path of the malware (as it appears under quarantine or on the list of detected items)?

Have you emptied temporary internet files and rebooted the computer? Then do a manual update of WD followed by a Quick Scan.

Any new browser extensions that need to be disabled?

Try this free scanner:
    http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/06/09/how-to-find-and-clean-malware-infections-with-emsisoft-emergency-kit/

If the detections continue see the following free removal guide from Malwaretips.com:
    Remove Viruses, Trojans and Malware from Windows (Free Guide)

To remove malware from Windows, follow these steps:

STEP 1: Scan your computer with Kasperskty TDSSkiller

STEP 2: Scan your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

STEP 3: Stop the malicious process with Rkill

STEP 4: Double-check for malware with HitmanPro

STEP 5: Scan your computer with AdwCleaner

(OPTIONAL) STEP 6: Scan your computer with Zemana AntiMalware

(OPTIONAL) STEP 7: Reset your browser to default settings

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. - Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Oct 3, 2021
Thema:

Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It

1. Defender Detects Malware But Fails To Remediate / Remove It - Similar Threads - Defender Detects Malware

2. Windows Defender Remediation Incomplete - Status: Quarantine failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Remediation Incomplete - Status: Quarantine failed: Hello,Windows Defender found a virus on my computer, however, before I could deal with it on the Virus & Threat Protection tab the message regarding the virus disappeared. I've run both Quick Scan and Microsoft Defender Antivirus offline scan. Still, it shows "No current...
  3. Wacatac.B!ml trojan malware found by Windows Defender...remediation incomplete

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wacatac.B!ml trojan malware found by Windows Defender...remediation incomplete: 2 days ago, Windows Defender indicated it found Wacatac.B!ml on my system, but remediation was incomplete. The path of the file it listed is C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Healthy\Healthy.exe. I ran Windows Defender, MalwareBytesFree version, and Zemana Antimalware free...
  4. Defender detected malware

Defender detected malware: Hi,in my environment the file 7zG.exe got deployed automatically to 100+ devices not manually or not from SCCM- not sure how it got deployed the defender has detected malware in it due to this, we have received 100+ alert generated for the same and still continuing.does this...
  5. Windows Defender detects malware

Windows Defender detects malware: Windows defender did a full scan and found 2 threats. What do i do now?[Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-detects-malware/6b0a7007-f934-4c49-b0d9-10b0f3dc349e
  6. Windows Defender Malware Detection

Windows Defender Malware Detection: I get a notice into about half way through a quick scan that preliminary results show malware or unwanted programs may be on your computer. Results will be shown in Details after scan completes. I get this now on every scan I do including full scan. At completion there is...
  7. Malware removes Windows Defender

Malware removes Windows Defender: Hi! About two weeks ago I've got a virus, which not only wasn't found or blocked by Windows Defender but it has completely deleted Defender from system! I've used Malwarebytes to delete malware and then I used system restore to have Defender back. But two days ago the same...
  8. Windows Defender states "Remediation Incomplete". Is the detected threat removed?

Windows Defender states "Remediation Incomplete". Is the detected threat removed?: Hello, I recently got an alert from Windows Defender stating that an unsafe file with a Severe Alter level was found on my computer after opening a .iso file. I assume that there was a potentially dangerous file within it, which caused the alert to be triggered. I deleted...
  9. Crashes, Scans Failed, Malware Detected

Crashes, Scans Failed, Malware Detected: Hello everyone. I have recently downloaded and bought the full version of Wondershare Filmora 9 about two days ago. Yesterday the problems began. First, I noticed a program named "Program" in the Startup section of Task Manager. Very weird, I looked at C:Program Files/Common...
  10. Windows Defender did not detect Malware

Windows Defender did not detect Malware: Hi -- MS phone support REALLY sucks!! The Spanish speaking latin rep just hung up! She was so adamant on repeating her answer and refused to listen to my situation. Anyway. I ran Defender (Win 10) both full scan and offline. The app detected nothing. I had doubts that I...