Windows 10: Defender Eating my CPU

Discus and support Defender Eating my CPU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Not sure if this is normal or not hadn't noticed this in the past but every time it does an auto scan or full scan it goes full load. I seen the temps... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EricFrendo-Cumbo, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Defender Eating my CPU

Not sure if this is normal or not hadn't noticed this in the past but every time it does an auto scan or full scan it goes full load. I seen the temps go up on the CPU not in dangerous zones but mind you high enough to think its a tad crazy. Temps were at about 70c's plus obviously things were getting a tad sluggish while the cpu was at 100% at each core.

:)

EricFrendo-Cumbo, Sep 20, 2019

2. Windows 10 Defender high CPU

After an awesome experience upgrading from 8.1 Pro to 10 on my Yoga3Pro, I discovered is Defender eating between 10-35% of my CPU, all the time, and between 350-500MB of memory. Blech!

I ran sfc /scannnow which showed no problems.

I used to have Norton anti-virus installed, the Windows 10 upgrade removed it. I do not have any other running anti-virus/malware software installed.

I added C:\Program Files\Defender\MsMpEng.exe to the exclusion list

When the file exclusion didn't work, I added the entire folder (C:\Program Files\Defender) to the exclusion list

I do not have any viruses or malware on my computer. (Please don't suggest I might, I know better.)

I would like to give Defender a try rather than shut it off and go back to a 3rd party solution.

As a side note to the folks running the forum... you don't have 10 listed in the Windows Version list, so I stuck it under "Other". Also, there isn't a clear Topic to cover my question, perhaps a Topic like "performance" would be helpful.

Average Idiot, Sep 20, 2019
  3. System and compressed memory eating CPU cycles

Hi Imakuni,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about CPU usage by System and compressed memory process. We will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your effort and time spent in resolving the issue.

I would like to inform that Ntoskrnl.exe
    is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer.

This issue might have occurred due to malware infection/ outdated drivers/
    Runtime Broker. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run a virus scan on your device and check if it helps.

Refer: Security & privacy
    (
    Run Windows Defender scan)

Note: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Step 2: Turn off the "Show me tips about Windows"

Please do the below steps to do the same.

• Press Start button, click on Settings.
    • In the Settings, select the System>Notifications and actions> turn off the "Show me tips about Windows".
    • Restart the computer.

Step 3: Also, try to install the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Defender Eating my CPU

"System and compressed memory" eating my cpu and ram !

Hello everybody

I have Asus G75vx and win10 . I noticed that "System and compressed memory" is eating my cpu and ram. i searched in the forum with the similar subject and some of them suggested to disable hibernation . nut for me is always disable and i never use hibernation.

is there any solution for this disaster problem ?

thank you

MahdiMohammadnezhad, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Defender Eating my CPU

1. Defender Eating my CPU - Similar Threads - Defender Eating CPU

2. Defender is eating my accounting application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender is eating my accounting application: Hello. I have a small company with several PCs, all running Windows 10 Pro. Lately, Windows Defender started deleting a very important application we use, even terminating its process which leads to data corruption. I'm certain that it's a false positive which I verified with...
  3. Defender is eating my accounting application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender is eating my accounting application: Hello. I have a small company with several PCs, all running Windows 10 Pro. Lately, Windows Defender started deleting a very important application we use, even terminating its process which leads to data corruption. I'm certain that it's a false positive which I verified with...
  4. Defender is eating my accounting application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS.I just...
  6. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS....
  7. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS....
  8. Nahmic eating my cpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nahmic eating my cpu: Nahmic is eating 60% of my cpu, know how to fix it? submitted by /u/User21233121 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8od04/nahmic_eating_my_cpu/
  9. Windows Explorer eating my CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer eating my CPU: Just recently installed updates after having taken my computer apart to clean the liquid cooling. It was apart for weeks so when I started it, I first assumed that the cooling was bad and throttling. This is not the case. Instead, windows explorer keeps jumping to the CPU...
  10. explore.exe eating my CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    explore.exe eating my CPU: Ok so my CPU is being eaten by explore.exe from like 35% to 70% Is there any fix? 11530