Windows 10: Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own

Discus and support Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; window 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1443) First of all I block most of Windows Defender Firewalls rules to keep security to a maximum. I regularly... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ronald r, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Ronald r Win User

Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own

window 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1443)
    First of all I block most of Windows Defender Firewalls rules to keep security to a maximum.
    I regularly check Windows Defenders Firewalls advanced rules and find that the program regularly changes its own rules.

It enables the Xbox Game Console and Your Account setting among others. I have disable all windows 10 updates and find that this issue is still ongoing. It makes no sense to me that windows should be doing this or even has the moral right to alter the security levels you decide to apply to your own private computer, which you purchased with your own money.

This happens to me all the time, so if it is normal behavior it must be happening to most Windows 10 users.
    Although I suspect it is not windows doing this, but a someone else hacking my system to make it easier for them to accomplish their goals.
    Please do not respond with wild conspiracy theories. I would apricate input from users that have had this happen to them an has reasonable explanations of why.

Wild guesses from users really doesn't help anyone.

Regards

:)

Ronald r, Mar 27, 2021

2. Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

I'm having the exact same issue with Windows 10.

None of the inbound rules, outbound rules or application exceptions persist for more than a few minutes.

Also I noticed that if I disabled the firewall for just the private network it would re-enable itself after a few minutes.

It sounds like the

ShannonBarrettNotARobot, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

Code:
    Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate.

Action, Enabled, Service, Program,                     Protocol

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP
    If these 2 rules were Outbound Rules, I'd say that client process 'mmc.exe' is blocked.

But applying equivalent logic (that 'mmc.exe' is blocked) to Inbound Rules doesn't make sense -- why would 'mmc.exe' (which created these Rules) block itself?

What (somewhat) makes sense is that 'mmc.exe' is a requester, and that these rules block all TCP & UDP datagrams & all processes.

If so, then there's quite a difference between Outbound & Inbound Rules.

In Outbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the target (the process that's blocked), whereas in Inbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the requester (the process that provokes blocking).

This is crucial reasoning because, if correct, then, as a consequence, every process is the target of Inbound Rules that Block.

What about Inbound Rules that Allow? I've always assumed that an Inbound+Allow means the specified 'Program' installs a listener (i.e., has handler(s) for the specified socket(s)).

I think that's pretty straightforward.

I've read what Microsoft provides and it's grossly inadequate -- what a surprise, eh?

Microsoft documentation presents only trivial explanation of how to complete the fields (example: "Type the path to the program in the text box"), or the tutorial's scope is limited (example: "On the Action page, select Allow the connection, and then click
     Next" -- no mention of "Block the connection").

Other web hits are just plain wrong (examples: "Program – Block or allow a program"; "Program - creates rule that controls connections for an app or program"; "if you are downloading a file through BitTorrent, the download of that file is filtered through an
     inbound rule" -- Rules control connections, not streams) or show ridiculous cases (example: "I want to block all outgoing connections on port 80").
    Does anyone know of an architectural reference or guidebook that explains how Firewall Rules are implemented in a running system?
    Warm Regards -- Mark.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own

Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

I gave it a try. Went to services.msc and restarted the firewall service. I set up one rule to block a program inbound and outbound as a test. After that, I was able to restart the computer a few times and the rule held in place. I also wasn't getting asked
    to allow any programs through the firewall like I was before.

Then, a few minutes ago, I started my computer, the prompts asking me to allow Chrome and gcupd.exe through the firewall came back. As soon as I saw this, I went back to the firewall and checked. My sample rule was gone again.

Pretty strange behaviour!

mrcoffeetablebook, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own

1. Defender Firewall changing inbound and outbound rules on its own - Similar Threads - Defender Firewall changing

2. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  3. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  4. Windows defender firewall Advance Security Inbound outbound Rules Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender firewall Advance Security Inbound outbound Rules Settings: How to? Windows security setup inbound, outbound for Blocking Mostly Advertisers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-advance-security-inbound/5eb780cc-610d-421f-bd3f-b7ea49c7fb6b
  5. Windows defender firewall Advance Security Inbound outbound Rules Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender firewall Advance Security Inbound outbound Rules Settings: How to? Windows security setup inbound, outbound for Blocking Mostly Advertisers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-advance-security-inbound/5eb780cc-610d-421f-bd3f-b7ea49c7fb6b
  6. Windows defender firewall Advance Security Inbound outbound Rules Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?: Hi guys, I've always wondered why isn't there an option to quickly add an inbound/outbound firewall rule to an application straight from the app by, say, right click menu, add instantly? Wouldn't this be a great feature to have? Why the need to go to that Windows Defender...
  8. Firewall inbound/outbound rules not working well on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firewall inbound/outbound rules not working well on windows 10: So I decided to block internet access to a "launcher" application that updates regularly before starting my video game. It will connect to the internet and give me latest news about the game etc, which I don't want. I went to firewall advanced settings and made a new rule to...
  9. Windows Firewall Not Accepting A New Outbound/ Inbound Rule

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall Not Accepting A New Outbound/ Inbound Rule: Hello Folks, I tried doing everything right from the complete computer scan to the system file check using command prompt to dism check to even using the firewall troubleshooter available at this link:...
  10. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks: Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate. Action, Enabled, Service, Program, Protocol Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP If these...