Windows 10: Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

Discus and support Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by joelshort, Jul 31, 2019.

1. joelshort Win User

Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list.

From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall". One of the apps in question is already listed and I need to continually enable it through the Public connection. But the rule doesn't stick.

Another app is missing from the list so I manually add it, and things work fine for that session. If I restart the system and go back to these rules, the manually added app is no longer in the list, and the already present app in the list has again reverted to Private only. I have to constantly reset these.

Why won't these apps stick in the allowed apps, and how do I fix it?

:)

joelshort, Jul 31, 2019
  2. alan93 Win User

Firewall no longer allowing "Allowed" program on Inbound Rule

Using Windows 10 and trying to allow a program to access my computer remotely through a specified port.

This used to work by allowing it in the firewall settings and turning on both public and private firewalls.

Now I have to turn off the public firewall to allow it to access my computer remotely even though it is in the inbound rules list with :

Profile: Private, Public

Enabled: Yes

Action: Allow:

Program: [path to program]

Everything else : any

This allowing used to work but now it doesn't.

alan93, Jul 31, 2019
  3. The windows defender firewall rule HSS DNS leak rule blocking your connection

Hi Alex,

For me to properly assist you with this concern, I would like to know what update was recently installed. Aside from the latest update, have you installed any other apps or program or made some changes on your computer?

In the meantime, please try this:

• Login as administrator.
    • Open Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall.
    • In the left pane, click Allow an app or feature.
    • Under Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall, click
      Change settings.
    • Uncheck HSS DNS leak rule in both private and public.
    • Click OK.

Once done, please try to go online and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 31, 2019
  4. joelshort Win User

Windows Defender Firewall - Previously allowed APP disappears

I'm having an issue with Defender firewall. I manually allow an app through the firewall on both public and private networks. The app works fine. When I restart the computer the approved app is no longer listed and the app does not work properly.

What I'm trying to do is use Teamviewer to remotely control an Intel NUC via the NUC IP address on a local area network. If I add Teamviewer to the list of apps through the firewall it works fine, but upon restart I cannot login to the NUC with Teamviewer and upon investigation the app is missing from the firewall approved apps.

This is with Windows 1809.

I have a second NUC running Windows 1803 and it does not have this problem.

Any thoughts?

joelshort, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules - Similar Threads - Defender Firewall save

2. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  3. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  4. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Firewall rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rules: [ATTACH] Does this symbol mean I have blocked outbound traffic for an application? If so why did the app just check for an update and confirm its current version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules/870791a0-328a-4d5c-ad0a-be99f93dfdb0
  6. Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?

Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?: I'm tired of seeing the message that my firewall is disabled all the time. Is there a simply rule or rules that I can apply to the firewall that will allow all traffic to flow both ways? I have a hardware firewall that keeps the network safe, so the Windows firewall isn't...
  7. Allow an app throughtg the Windows Defender Firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow an app throughtg the Windows Defender Firewall: Windows is not allowing the Harrisgeospatial IDL through the firewall. [ATTACH] Any ideas to solve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-an-app-throughtg-the-windows-defender/8802c33f-b880-4e0f-ad35-421ea023d52d
  8. Firewall Rules

Firewall Rules: Can you setup exceptions for firewall rules? For example, if I have a port blocked inbound for ALL via GPO, can I create an exception to that rule to allow just certain IP addresses to get through the port being blocked? Win 10 ENT in a domain environment....
  9. Firewall rules

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall rules: I accidentally deleted outbound windows firewall rules. Will these reappear? Can this be dangerous? Please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/firewall-rules/1f7cbdda-d9e2-435a-96cb-6caef7699b88"
  10. Firewall rule to allow /24

Firewall rule to allow /24: Is it possible to use this notation in a firewall rule? I am having issues with homegroup telling me the computer joined to the home group is currently unavailable even though they are set not to hibernate/sleep. If I disable the firewall(s) then try I can connect to from one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows firewall not saving allowed apps

2. reset allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall

3. allow apps to communicate through firewall not sving

4. Vanessa Yar firewall