Windows 10: Defender found a virus, Should i format?

Discus and support Defender found a virus, Should i format? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; hello everyone ive just clean installed windows a couple days ago yesterday ive downloaded alot of files to transfer to my other laptop via usb flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TeiMoney, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Defender found a virus, Should i format?

hello everyone ive just clean installed windows a couple days ago

yesterday ive downloaded alot of files to transfer to my other laptop via usb flash drive,

today i got a defender notification that i have a virus called "Misleading:Win32/Lodi"

on the download folder.. but the file wasnt there cause ive deleted everything ive download.

when i clicked "remove" on defender it would do nothing and kept showing me that ive got a virus (tried all of defender options including offline scan)

also ive tried Malwarebytes but nothing showed up.

lastly ive found out this solution on Microsoft forums :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...at-is-no/867f9b86-bb32-4db8-8960-947cf32a1cdd

i went to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service

and deleted the whole folder, after that i did a full scan couple of times & found nothing

Should i worry about it? i was about to format before i found out that solution but i would prefer if i wont have to..

EDIT: ive downloaded the "virus" from here: https://sdi-tool.org/download/
    its the " DriverPack Online " on the right side. never installed it.

ive downloaded the file again to make sure and again got the virus notification, this time it seems to be removed with no problems and scan after it didnt found nothing

so i guess its just a bug or something with windows defender?

please let me know what you think..

submitted by /u/TeiMoney
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TeiMoney, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Defender found a virus, Should i format?

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Defender found a virus, Should i format? wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Defender found a virus, Should i format?

1. Defender found a virus, Should i format? - Similar Threads - Defender found virus

2. Hello, I found a new virus that got around windows defender...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello, I found a new virus that got around windows defender...: Should I save my hard drive so that microsoft can view the virus?I reinstalled windows from my computer and it created 3 false users and is now running my computer at 100%...There's me: ChillaxThen there's: defaultuser0 defaultuser0:DESKTOP-AJ1HOKO...
  3. Windows Defender found a lot of viruses but I cannot delete them.

Windows Defender found a lot of viruses but I cannot delete them.: Some days ago I ran a full scan and Windows Defender show a lot of viruses with "High" or "Severe" level of threat. I set the actions to "remove" and the process toke most than 12 hours to complete, then when I check again the list still has the same viruses. This is also an...
  4. Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was Found

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was Found: I recently just switched to Defender and having trouble trying to delete the files that it identifies as a virus.On one scan, within the box identifying the file there is a "V" to access more options. I was able to check 'remove' there and proceed. However, when I manually...
  5. Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was Found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was Found: I recently just switched to Defender and having trouble trying to delete the files that it identifies as a virus.On one scan, within the box identifying the file there is a "V" to access more options. I was able to check 'remove' there and proceed. However, when I manually...
  6. Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was Found

7. negative number on viruses found with windows defender

negative number on viruses found with windows defender: recently ran into an issue with windows defender where when I run a full scan the result is: No current threats found and 0 threats found. Then when I restart my computer and look at the message negative number...
  8. negative number on viruses found with windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    negative number on viruses found with windows defender: recently ran into an issue with windows defender where when I run a full scan the result is: No current threats found and 0 threats found. Then when I restart my computer and look at the message negative number...
  9. negative number on viruses found with windows defender

10. I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...

I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...: I was browsing the internet and end up on a site with a lot of popups that are obviously viruses. as I'm leaving the site, i notice a download is going on for a file called "This computer is BLOCKED.htm". the entire file size was downloaded (for example, 25.5 MB/25.5 MB) but...