Windows 10: Defender Full Scan stops half way?

Discus and support Defender Full Scan stops half way? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've just abandoned Norton in favour of Defender and all is well until I try and run a Full Scan which just hangs when the progress bar is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DavidCoffield, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Defender Full Scan stops half way?

Hi,

I've just abandoned Norton in favour of Defender and all is well until I try and run a Full Scan which just hangs when the progress bar is roughly half way through. Why could this be and how to sort? Quick Scans are fine.

I did read something a week or so ago about a recent Windows Update borking Defender but didn't really pay attention as mine seemed OK.

Windows 10, bang up-to-date Update wise...

Many thanks,

David

:)

DavidCoffield, Apr 25, 2020

2. windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Windows Defender quick scan fails to complete

When I try to employ a "Quick Scan" procedure in Defender, the scan progress indicator, coloured green, stops half way and does not complete.

The files scanned number continues the count as if it is doing a full scan.

My Windows 10 updates are correct as our the virus definitions etc.

Any suggestions on why the "quick" scan fails to complete?

Thanks

[Original title: Windows 10 Defender]

Tony Lawrence, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Defender Full Scan stops half way?

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Defender Full Scan stops half way?

1. Defender Full Scan stops half way? - Similar Threads - Defender Full Scan

2. Full Scan in Windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  3. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  4. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. full system scan stopped?

full system scan stopped?: no reason given says 35 min left https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/full-system-scan-stopped/097589b9-bb7e-4849-a5ca-ad095fcb504d
  6. Microsoft Defender freezes half way through

Microsoft Defender freezes half way through: Eek. Twice now I have initiated a custom scan and it "froze" about half way through on the C: drive; the "files scanned" number got stuck so it was not ticking over even though I left it for a few minutes nothing else was running. An offline scan detected nothing, however...
  7. Crash on Full Defender Scan

Crash on Full Defender Scan: I keep getting the error shown below only when doing a full Defender scan on the C: drive of my Dell laptop. I've checked I have the latest Intel and NVidia drivers and sfc /scannow shows no problems. Any Ideas? [img] 147052
  8. Defenders Full Scan

Defenders Full Scan: I decided to do a full scan of my computer to see if everything was alright and it's been hours since then. It's still continuing to scan my files and the time remaining went down at first but now it's increasing instead of decreasing. I don't know why and I'm wondering if I...
  9. Full Scan with Defender

Full Scan with Defender: I know how to select full scan, but have no idea how to start the full scan. HELP Please 129441
  10. Defender: no Full Scan

Defender: no Full Scan: Windows Defender tells me no action is needed. But when I use "Run a new advanced scan" nothing happens. No dialog to choose option for Full Scan. Terry, East Grinstead, UK Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender full scan stopped before completion

2. Windows defender full scan stop in middle

3. windows fefender full scan keeps stopping