Windows 10: Defender is turned on , but doesn't run.

Discus and support Defender is turned on , but doesn't run. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have windows Defender turned on (by default presumably) but it's greyed out and the slider is not active. Win 10 prompts me with an info box at... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dch1950, Aug 24, 2015.

1. dch1950 Win User

Defender is turned on , but doesn't run.

Hi,
    I have windows Defender turned on (by default presumably) but it's greyed out and the slider is not active. Win 10 prompts me with an info box at start up saying Defender is turned off. This is a little odd. Just MS making decisions for me again I presume.
    No but seriously if it's on why won't it update/run itself. Any thoughts - (other than "be patient" - which isn't very useful)
    regards
    Dave

:)

dch1950, Aug 24, 2015

2. Windows Defender is turned on and up to date, but says "PC Status: Potentially Unprotected". Why?

Glad that your computer is up and running - Thank you for sharing the information with us.

That's always a nice gesture when we get back a post indicating if the suggestions were helpful or not.

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Lenip Win User
    Windows Defender is turned on and up to date, but says "PC Status: Potentially Unprotected". Why?

Thank you once again. I have run a scan on the laptop and the message disappeared.

You have indeed been really helpful and I have learned much from you. THanks for your time.

Lenip, Aug 24, 2015
  4. Defender is turned on , but doesn't run.

Did you upgrade from a previous version of Windows?

Do you have any other AV or Internet Security Suites installed?

garydexter, Aug 24, 2015
  5. HIM
    him Win User
    Dave,

If you have other AV program installed, then Win Defender will be turned off by that program.

6. dch1950 Win User
    Hi,
    I run Malwarebytes Anti-malware, but under 7 pro it never turned off Microsoft Essentials. Are you saying that it now does?
    Dave

dch1950, Aug 24, 2015
  7. dch1950 Win User
    Hi - I did upgrade from 7 pro, and I do use Malwarebytes (scheduled - daily), and also Spybot (occasionally)
    But as I said to "him", under 7 pro this didn't affect MS Essentials settings.
    Dave

dch1950, Aug 24, 2015
  8. Borg 386 Win User

You might want to run an SFC to see if this fixes the problems. Best to run it at least 3X as it doesn't always fix everything on the 1st or 2nd pass.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Another 2 options if this does not solve the problem:

Borg 386, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Did you have MSE installed when you upgraded?

There are known issues/conflicts with machines upgrading from Windows 7 with MSE installed.

garydexter, Aug 24, 2015
  10. dch1950 Win User
    No I doubt it, as I'd installed a clean copy of win 7 pro to the machine first, then registered for the Win 10 upgrade, had to use a registry hack to enable the upgrade, and then it went ahead. I doubt that MSE was installed in that intervening period - I certainly didn't install it.
    I've run SFC - no problems found. Bit of a puzzle this one.
    Dave

dch1950, Aug 25, 2015
  11. If it's an upgraded install following a clean Windows 7 installation, then I would suggest downloading the Windows 10 ISO and re-installing a clean copy providing you've activated that current Windows 10 install

garydexter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender is turned on , but doesn't run. - Similar Threads - Defender turned doesn't

2. Windows Defender Firewall not running, can't turn on on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall not running, can't turn on on Windows 11: Windows Defender Firewall isn't running and I can't turn it on. It has error code 0x45B when I try to open it, in the security setting it says it's not available and everything I can find on the net has not worked. I've tried every fix I can find here on Microsoft's pages for...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall not running, can't turn on on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall not running, can't turn on on Windows 11: Windows Defender Firewall isn't running and I can't turn it on. It has error code 0x45B when I try to open it, in the security setting it says it's not available and everything I can find on the net has not worked. I've tried every fix I can find here on Microsoft's pages for...
  4. Windows Defender not running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not running: I did a few searches of how I can turn on Windows Defender, and nothing seems quite right, so here we go. I can find Windows Security options in my Settings folder, and see where WinDef is turned off. However, when I try to turn it on, it says that I need to go to the...
  5. Windows Defender doesn't want to turn on

Windows Defender doesn't want to turn on: My windows defender is off and for some reason, it doesn't want to turn on. I have deleted my third party antivirus apps, but it still doesn't want to work. I tried going to the search bar and go to services and see if its running and its not running and its manually. I...
  6. WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT RUNNING?

WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT RUNNING?: [ATTACH]When I open Windows Defender, only thisrefer to image shows. No Interface. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-running/d7c808fb-2889-49f1-bca4-51741aa532bb
  7. Windows defender not running

Windows defender not running: Hello, my windows defender does not run at all, I saw a thread in the forum about this, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-and-the-entire-security-system-in/01aef7c5-41b9-4264-86b3-4c257fdfdbff, I tired all the steps here but nothing has...
  8. Windows Defender not running.

Windows Defender not running.: Windows Defender will not run. I click on restart, it goes to green for about 2 seconds then switches back to Red. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-not-running/a57e02ed-6661-45f9-9142-a5a6320c964a"
  9. Windows defender will not run

Windows defender will not run: I can not get windows defender to run. I stopped it when I first set up this computer and put on another antivirus program. Now I get messages that I have no firewall. I have removed the aftermarket virus program and I stall cannot make it run....
  10. please i cannot turn on defender in windows 10 and computer is running

please i cannot turn on defender in windows 10 and computer is running: Please I cannot turn on windows 10 defender and computer is running very slow 104281