Windows 10: Defender... its never off completely

Discus and support Defender... its never off completely in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Supposedly if you have another anti virus installed defender is supposed to pretty well shut down... but it doesn't... its still running... its still... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve60946, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Defender... its never off completely

Supposedly if you have another anti virus installed defender is supposed to pretty well shut down... but it doesn't... its still running... its still in my processes eating cpu and ram especially when the pc first boots up. I wanna know why... why is Microsoft so insanely obsessively intent to keep crap running that we don't want. It reminds me of the cell phones with all the bloat ware... are the purposely trying to create a slower worse off operating system? Anyone know knows anything about computers knows the less crap running in the background the more resources you have for doing what you want on the computer. Considering it was OUR money that bought this crap it should be ours to do with what we want. Otherwise we might as well start leasing operating systems... Defender needs to go... it should be an optional download not forced... if its shut down it should appear NO WHERE in the task manager or running in services... it should be OFF in its entirety not seen not using up 1 single mb of ram... gone!!!

:)

Steve60946, Oct 17, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Defender... its never off completely :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Windows Defender not completing scans

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing issues using Windows Defender.

I would suggest you to go through the below methods:

Method 1: Set Windows Defender to Automatic

You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.

2. Search for Windows defender.

3. Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.

Method 2: Run SFC scan, it will check, if there is any kind of corruption on the operating system.

• Press WIN+X.

• Click on command prompt with admin.

• Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

• Reboot the computer once finished.

Method 3: Try the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931849

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Sahil Bali, Oct 18, 2018
  4. W1zzard Win User

Defender... its never off completely

Forum upgrade complete

The upgrade to XenForo 2 is now complete.

Please report any issues/requests/ideas in this thread.

TODO:
    • Look into style improvements
      (feel free to suggest ideas)
    • Custom post edit time limit addon
    Fixed:
    • PM sending throwing an error
    • Adjust maximum width
    • Add stats below avatars
    • Logout link missing on TPU main site
    • Forum not sending emails
    • Added posts per day
    • Add news boxes on forumhome
    • Highlight stickies better
    • Add long service badge
    • Add sigpic plugin
    • Look into avatar size for thread view
    • Heatware in BST
    • Sigquote

W1zzard, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Defender... its never off completely

1. Defender... its never off completely - Similar Threads - Defender never off

2. Windows Defender never completes analysis.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender never completes analysis.: Hello.I have been facing this issue on windows 11 for more than a year which obliges me each and every time to find alternatives antiviruses. Had to download Avast and Kaspersky for multiple times as my Windows Defender would never complete a full analysis.It scans for less...
  3. Windows Defender never completes analysis.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender never completes analysis.: Hello.I have been facing this issue on windows 11 for more than a year which obliges me each and every time to find alternatives antiviruses. Had to download Avast and Kaspersky for multiple times as my Windows Defender would never complete a full analysis.It scans for less...
  4. OneDrive update never completes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive update never completes: "OneDrive is updating files..." never finishes for archive.pst. That file cannot be found either on my computer or online. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-update-never-completes/03360ea0-e785-498e-9aec-b589394f3054
  5. OneDrive update never completes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive update never completes: "OneDrive is updating files..." never finishes for archive.pst. That file cannot be found either on my computer or online. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-update-never-completes/03360ea0-e785-498e-9aec-b589394f3054
  6. quick scan never completes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    quick scan never completes: I just bought hp stream windows s mode. it tries to to a recommended quick scan every time I am on the pc..the quick scan just runs and runs, never completes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quick-scan-never-completes/cc82d34c-1613-442b-9554-f49ec3ebb25f
  7. windows 10s defender quick scan never completes

windows 10s defender quick scan never completes: Hi all and tearing my not much left now hair out! New windows 10s laptop. Under "virus and threat protection" showing a yellow warning triangle I get a message saying "quick scan due" with a red dot with a white x in it, along with moving dots below it. This apparent scan...
  8. Quick scan never completes

Quick scan never completes: I have a Windows 10 S Mode and the security icon by the clock says it needs a quick scan. I started the quick scan. It has been showing a scan in progress with dots moving across the screen for sometime. I have restarted the computer but it still needs a scan. The hard...
  9. "Connecting to VPN" never completes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Connecting to VPN" never completes: I have 2 computers running windows 10. I've setup a VPN connection on each of them, both the same. On my laptop, it connects to the VPN just fine and works pretty well. On my desktop, however, when I click the "Connect" button, it gives me the "Connecting to VPNname" message...
  10. 10 Install Never Completes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    10 Install Never Completes: Ecuse me, no "eks" key suddenly. I signed up for Windows ten long ago. Got notice I could download. It did and began installing. After several partial, (great, now number don't work but open another window) partial downloads I believe it loaded but then wanted to do something...