Windows 10: Defender keeps scanning my system

Discus and support Defender keeps scanning my system in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Defender keeps asking me to quick scan my system like every couple hours or so.. Just started happening today. -Help? Thank! 43092 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by seek, Mar 5, 2016.

1. seek Win User

Defender keeps scanning my system

Defender keeps asking me to quick scan my system like every couple hours or so.. Just started happening today.

-Help? Thank!

:)

seek, Mar 5, 2016

2. Microsoft defender for windows 10

I have genius version of Microsoft windows 10 OS installed on my computer and along with it I do have windows defender to installed on my computer which I always keep updated with latest antivirus definition. Along with this I also keep my windows OS updated.
    When I start my computer, I understand windows defender too starts automatically and I presume that it continuously protect my computer from virus and other malwares. I also scan my computer with defender at least once a week. Recently when I scanned my computer
    for virus through defender, It found two virus in my system.

I surprised in spite all above mentioned protections, how virus can enter in to my system even though it is protected by defender?

Other point I have noted with defender that it has no provision to have auto scan of any external drive or system (like pen drive or CD/DVD) when they are attached to my computer. (I have seen such in built system of auto scanning external drives or attachments
    in other anti virus programs).

Can any one or developer of Microsoft defender software can throw light on above two points.

Thanks.

Gosai

RameshGosai, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Windows Defender Automatic Scan

Hello Marilynn,

We understand that you want to keep your system secured with Windows Defender. You may check the related settings for scheduled scan with Windows Defender by following the steps found in this support article:

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Mar 5, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

f14tomcat, Mar 5, 2016
  5. seek Win User
    I am using Ccleaner and just did what the thread said... Tell you if it works later.. thanks

seek, Mar 5, 2016
  6. seek Win User
    Looks like it's working.. Thanks!

seek, Mar 5, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    You're welcome! Thank @Borg 386 for finding it!

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender keeps scanning my system - Similar Threads - Defender keeps scanning

2. Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!: Hello.When trying to do Defender scans they more often than not just hang and don't complete.Also, when doing an Offline scan, it lets me set it up but the system will not go offline and run it.At the moment I can only do a Quick Scan.How can I try to resolve this situation...
  3. Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!: Hello.When trying to do Defender scans they more often than not just hang and don't complete.Also, when doing an Offline scan, it lets me set it up but the system will not go offline and run it.At the moment I can only do a Quick Scan.How can I try to resolve this situation...
  4. Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.: Hello, I use Bitdefender AV, and since a couple of weeks, the system sometimes shows the Windows Defender Scan notification on startup. I disable it, but it keeps turining on.I said since a couple of weeks, because I suspect some Windows Update changed/screwed something. I...
  5. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  6. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  7. Defender not scanning.

Defender not scanning.: Hi, I have Win 10 but for some reason today it will not let me do full or quick scan.ThxTony https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-not-scanning/c33b8892-b707-48d2-9f0f-d26147e64e42
  8. Windows Defender Offline scan just rebooted the system not scanned.

Windows Defender Offline scan just rebooted the system not scanned.: I've already updated windows. But recently, I've uninstalled mcafee. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-offline-scan-just-rebooted-the/e5dc626c-5d10-4dec-a665-ae7bd2c4b9b6
  9. Windows defender keeps scanning excluded folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defender keeps scanning excluded folder: Hello, these two images show setup of windows defender and hdd usage by antivirus. I excluded folder from VMUbuntu and vmem file from defender and then I see it scanning exactly the same folder and file. This permanently blocks my computer and I have to shut it down...
  10. DEFENDER keeps requesting update and Scan

DEFENDER keeps requesting update and Scan: Installed WIN 10 on two pc's. Upgraded from WIN8.1 on both. Both were running MSE. MSE is replaced by DEFENDER. On either or both, notifications constantly request I run DEFENDER. Which requires me to manually update virus definitions and run a scan. I thought...