Windows 10: Defender needs an app to run.

Discus and support Defender needs an app to run. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an elderly neighbour with a 2 week old Lenovo laptop. Worked fine with Windows 10 S mode. She accepted the update to Windows 11 S mode and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Neil Cleland, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Defender needs an app to run.

I have an elderly neighbour with a 2 week old Lenovo laptop. Worked fine with Windows 10 S mode. She accepted the update to Windows 11 S mode and now the Defender updates fail and I can't access the security settings as it says Defender needs an app to run. There are numerous fixes by the looks of it but none that can be done with S mode that I can see. She really doesn't want to lose the peace of mind that S mode offers so is there a way to fix?Why haven't Microsoft released a fix/patch considering it looks like this has been an ongoing issue for a year or more?

:)

Neil Cleland, Jun 25, 2022
  2. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Jun 25, 2022
  3. Microsoft Jigsaw and Solitaire apps will not load and run

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As you are facing issues with Windows store download and Windows updates too, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Try clearing the Store Cache:

• Press the Windows key + R keys.
    • In the Run window, type
      WSReset.exe
      and click “Ok”.

Step 2: Also I would suggest you to run
    Windows Store Troubleshooter and check if it helps:

1. Type Troubleshooter in the
    search bar
    and click on it from the list.

2. Click on view all and select
    Windows Store Apps
    and click next.

3. Follow the onscreen instruction.

Step 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Updatetroubleshooter:

• PressWindows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • ClickWindows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Step 4:

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 25, 2022
  4. John Sarc Win User

Defender needs an app to run.

Windows Defender Blocking Installations of Downloaded Apps

Hi Craig,

There's a possibility that the SmartScreen option is on that's why you're unable to install downloaded apps. Let's try to turn it off and see if it helps. See the steps below:

• Open Windows Defender Security Center from your Start menu, desktop, or taskbar.
    • Click on the App and browser control button on the left side of the window.
    • Click on Off in the Check apps and files section.

Let us know if the suggestion helps you out.

John Sarc, Jun 25, 2022
Thema:

Defender needs an app to run.

1. Defender needs an app to run. - Similar Threads - Defender needs app

2. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  3. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  4. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender Needs App to Open

Windows Defender Needs App to Open: Hello support, I would like to ask for assistance. Why can't I open my windows defender? Whenever I click windows defender, a pop-up just shows that I need a link due to this my laptop might have been crashing lately. The cause might be what I have been asking. Here is a...
  6. Defender needs an app to run.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender needs an app to run.: I have an elderly neighbour with a 2 week old Lenovo laptop. Worked fine with Windows 10 S mode. She accepted the update to Windows 11 S mode and now the Defender updates fail and I can't access the security settings as it says Defender needs an app to run. There are numerous...
  7. Windows Defender preventing apps from running

Windows Defender preventing apps from running: Split from this thread.sometime window defender not running google apps like chrome etc. they show a pop up by message we don't allow this app what's the reason am using window 10 pro...
  8. apps need to run as administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    apps need to run as administrator: I recently reinstalled windows 10 and found that certain apps only worked when I ran as administrator. But before I reinstalled windows the same apps never asked to run as admin. The app in this case is Gif Your Game. To access my game it requires to be run as admin, but...
  9. Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?

Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?: I tried to run a scan on my computer and wasn't able. I got this message: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation....
  10. need an app to open windows defender

need an app to open windows defender: Windows Defender and any settings related to it keeps prompting me "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender" It's really annoying me, and I'm not sure what the issue is. But I can't turn it ON/OFF without this message popping up in my face, and I don't know any...