Windows 10: Defender not scanning mapped drive

Discus and support Defender not scanning mapped drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to schedule scanning mapped drives using Defender via the command prompt and task scheduler. The command i'm using is:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by darryl681, Jun 18, 2020.

1. darryl681 Win User

Defender not scanning mapped drive

Hi,

I'm trying to schedule scanning mapped drives using Defender via the command prompt and task scheduler.

The command i'm using is:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File "E:\Archive"

I'm getting the following error when trying to scan

Scan starting...

CmdTool: Failed with hr = 0x80508023. Check C:\Users\uoh0079\AppData\Local\Temp\MpCmdRun.log for more information

and the log file says:

MpCmdRun: Command Line: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File "E:\Archive"

Start Time: ‎Thu ‎Jun ‎18 ‎2020 16:07:54

MpEnsureProcessMitigationPolicy: hr = 0x1

Starting RunCommandScan.

INFO: ScheduleJob is not set. Skipping signature update.

Scanning path as file: E:\Archive.

Start: MpScanMP_FEATURE_SUPPORTED, dwOptions=16385, path E:\Archive, DisableRemediation = 0, BootSectorScan = 0, Timeout in days = 1

MpScan started

Warning: MpScan encounter errror. hr = 0x80508023

MpScan was completed

ERROR: MpScandwOptions=16385 Completion Failed 80508023

MpCmdRun.exe: hr = 0x80508023.

MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Thu ‎Jun ‎18 ‎2020 16:07:54

I can scan the C drive using the same command and i can also scan the E drive using the GUI. I have access to the drive, so don't think it's permissions. Can anyone suggest what i can try to get this work?

:)

darryl681, Jun 18, 2020
  2. Brian Cab Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Jun 18, 2020
  3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Jun 18, 2020
  4. 7Natives Win User

All scans of mapped drive fail (full, quick, custom)

Hi! I'm having a problem with the Custom Scan operation in Windows Defender. I use this frequently on my local machine, but when I try to scan my NAS (mapped as "H") it fails taking anywhere from several seconds to 13-minutes but always showing 0 files scanned. The topology is all gigabit ethernet: Desktop > LAN > switch > LAN > NAS. My computer is part of a small workgroup, DHCP is handled by LAN-wired router, and the NAS is a Drobo. I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 build 18363.778

I have tried the following:
    • Tut 70530 Local Group Policy Editor | Include Mapped Drive on Full Scan -- no joy
    • Tut 70530 Registry hack | Include Mapped Drive on Full Scan -- no joy
    • Tut 152869 Registry hack | Scan Network Files -- no joy
    It seems no matter what I do I can't get WD-AV to scan my mapped NAS or any part thereof. I did just see that the latest definitions broke WD, so maybe that's it. Both registry hacks above are still in place, I put the policy setting back to default.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

7Natives, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Defender not scanning mapped drive - Similar Threads - Defender scanning mapped

2. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  3. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  4. Defender not scanning.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender not scanning.: Hi, I have Win 10 but for some reason today it will not let me do full or quick scan.ThxTony https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-not-scanning/c33b8892-b707-48d2-9f0f-d26147e64e42
  5. Windows Defender scanning USB Drive

Windows Defender scanning USB Drive: Does windows defender scan devices connected to the PC such as USD drive? [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-scanning-usb-drive/412c4d3b-97d1-49b0-8ff2-6d19d09c9fdf
  6. mapping/mapped drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mapping/mapped drives: I have a Windows 10 Pro fully updated computer that has three folders on a second drive not the boot drive. I created three usernames/passwords on this computer and gave rights to each user for each folder. When I go to any one of the computers 8-10 on the network workgroup I...
  7. All scans of mapped drive fail (full, quick, custom)

All scans of mapped drive fail (full, quick, custom): Hi! I'm having a problem with the Custom Scan operation in Windows Defender. I use this frequently on my local machine, but when I try to scan my NAS (mapped as "H") it fails taking anywhere from several seconds to 13-minutes but always showing 0 files scanned. The topology...
  8. defender scan

defender scan: I have been trying to run a defender scan on task scheduler for years; after a zillion tries when I m done setting it up it asks for a password and regardless of what I try it comes back and says there is least 5 or more reasons why it can do it.sometimes it acts like its...
  9. windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives: plugged in USB thumb drive opened windows explorer right clicked drive scan with windows defender and it said scanning pc but it never shows any options so I dont know if it scanned pc or usb for sure why or not 42160
  10. Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10: How to: Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows-10 MpScan() encounter errror. hr = 0x80508023