Windows 10: Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

Discus and support Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I use Kaspersky antivirus plus periodic scanning by Defender to benefit from US & Russian security technologies. I spotted there is a Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve C, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

I use Kaspersky antivirus plus periodic scanning by Defender to benefit from US & Russian security technologies.

I spotted there is a Defender option for offline scanning. Is there any advantage in using this compared to the periodic scanning option?

:)

Steve C, Jul 26, 2017

2. Windows 10 Defender service is stopped after sleep/hibernate

Are you able to run a Quick or Full scan using Windows Defender?

Are you able to run a Defender Offline scan without it being suddenly stopped prior to completion?

Is the Limited Periodic Scanning option available (present) and if so, can you enable it (turn it on)?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 26, 2017
  3. how do I change the build to 1607 so I can run windows defender off line?

A third-party AV app isn’t really a problem – you just have to enable Limited Periodic Scanning in order to use Windows Defender Offline:

Enable the limited periodic scanning feature in Windows Defender AV

The original blog for Limited Periodic Scanning made it sound like this feature would only allow Defender to do periodic (scheduled) scans on a PC that had a third-party AV app installed; but it actually enables all of the on-demand scanning options,
    including WDO and the Command Line Interface. My screenshots came from a test box with Avast Free installed.

GreginMich, Jul 26, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

5. Steve C Win User
    That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Jul 27, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Windows defender offline was once a separate program. It became integrated into windows the windows 10 operating system beginning with version 1607. The only precaution that I am aware of is using windows defender offline if you are still using windows 10 version 1607. With this version there are two windows software programs that when used on the same computer will end up with a blue screen boot loop. The use of windows driver verifier and windows defender offline with windows 10 version 1607 produced these blue screen boot loops. This was reported to Microsoft and was fixed so that it no longer occurs with windows 10 version 1703.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning? - Similar Threads - Defender Periodic Scanning

2. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates.Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% rightEarlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection, this...
  6. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  7. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  8. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates. Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% right Earlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection,...
  9. Defender Periodic scan

Defender Periodic scan: Defender periodic scan keeps turning itself/ being turned off. What can I do to prevent this? I do have Malwarebytes Premium also installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-periodic-scan/5240a38a-04b6-4b62-8c72-2963bc5ec72f
  10. no scan results for defender offline scan

no scan results for defender offline scan: After performing an offline scan, after rebooting I cannot find the results for the scan. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-scan-results-for-defender-offline-scan/cf4765f0-7e06-4d9d-a736-39f1b8e4c695