Windows 10: Defender prevented making Restore

Discus and support Defender prevented making Restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Motim, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Motim Win User

Defender prevented making Restore

Hello,
    Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender.
    Is there some way to stop defender temporarily until the restore is finished successfuly?
    (Where is the On \ Off switch)?
    This time I used last Macrium backup, which reversed computer 4 days backward.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Dec 19, 2018
  2. Xylee Del Win User

SYSTEM RESTORE

Hello Angel,

Windows 10 may have encountered a system conflict when it tried to perform a system restore. For us to better assist you on performing a system restore, kindly answer the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message are you getting? If possible can you send us a screenshot using the attach photo feature on your reply.
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10? To check type in
      winver on the search bar and press Enter.

Meanwhile, for a walkthrough on how to perform a system restore, kindly follow the steps on this

article
    and see the section that says Restore from a system restore point.
    On another note, we also suggest that you check the Windows Defender settings and lower down the security if it is on high security. This can also be another issue why it is preventing an update to be installed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Windows defender does not allow for me to unquarantine items

Hi Michael,

The Real-time protection feature of Windows
    Defender stops malware from running on your device. It's possible that this feature is preventing the system from restoring/allowing the affected program. If you're sure that the affected program is virus free, we suggest that you disable the
    feature temporarily and try to restore the program. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender settings in the search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Under Windows Defender, disable
      Real-time protection by clicking the toggle button.
    • Once you're done, restore the affected file/program and check if the issue persists.

Also, you can allow a quarantined file/program from the Windows
    Defender desktop app. If you have the app installed on your device, you can follow these steps:

• Type Windows Defender in the search box, and then select the Desktop app.
    • Under the History tab, click on the check box for the affected file/program.
    • Select Allow item.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Dec 19, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Defender prevented making Restore [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender prevented making Restore - Similar Threads - Defender prevented making

2. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  3. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  4. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  5. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  6. Antimalware Service trying to prevent Defender - ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware Service trying to prevent Defender - ?: Since last update my ZoneAlarm gives this Suspicious Behavior message when I boot up. So far I have not allowed modifying the registry. Should I allow this request, remove Antimalware Service or remove Windows Defender? 182417
  7. Restore Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Windows Defender: Few months ago my friend showed me this this guide to remove unnecessary app from windows 10. He being the person that knows more about pc so I blindly follow him cuz muh "privacy". But now he got some ransomware virus that infected his pc and im scared. Is there anything I...
  8. Defender prevented making Restore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defender prevented making Restore: Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender. Is there some way to stop defender...
  9. Restoring Window Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Restoring Window Defender: I had two antivirus on my laptop Norton and Avast Free Antivirus version 17.1.2286. I was able to remove Norton but not the Avast which is not working. I went to programs to uninstall the Avast program but it is not on my list to uninstall the program. I was able to finally...
  10. Defender prevents system restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Defender prevents system restore: Till recently I could use system restore without difficulty. Now I get an error message: System restore didnot complete successfully. System restore could not access a file, probably due to an antivirus programme. (Name of file is not mentioned} I only use Defender. When I...