Windows 10: Defender prevents system restore

Discus and support Defender prevents system restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Till recently I could use system restore without difficulty. Now I get an error message: System restore didnot complete successfully. System restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PiKo, Dec 24, 2017.

1. PiKo Win User

Defender prevents system restore

Till recently I could use system restore without difficulty. Now I get an error message: System restore didnot complete successfully. System restore could not access a file, probably due to an antivirus programme. (Name of file is not mentioned}
    I only use Defender. When I disconnect from internet (safety) and temporarily disable Defender, I am able to do the restore operation successfully.
    Has something changed with the most recent Windows version and is there a simpler way to do the restore?
    W10 Pro 64 bits; most recent version 1709

:)

2. Windows 10 restore issues with defender

My WiFi has gone out so I am attempting to perform a restore to a point last week. I shutdown my primary firewall and antivirus which appears to activate windows defender. I turn defender off, and begin the restore. However, during the process, defender
    turns back on effectively preventing the restore. What can I do?

AlexBlue56, Dec 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Diagnosing your PC

You can use the built in Windows Defender Security Center which is very good, it protects against a variety of attacks: viruses, spyware, ransomeware etc. Learn more:

Windows 10 Creators Update Feature: Windows Defender Security ...

In future, to prevent this from happening, I recommend you maintain regular backups, that includes: System Images, System Restore, Backup and Restore.

Windows 10 Tip: Enable and Create a System Restore ... - groovyPost

and

Creating a system restore before a major update can definitely reduce the chances of something like this happening in future.

I also recommend you create a second local account, which you can log into.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Sorry, I've no exact answer to that- hopefully someone who's had cause to use SR in 1709 will reply.

Meanwhile I'll just repeat the comments that have been made numerous times here about System Restore:
    - it's not thought to be the most reliable feature- and can let you down just when you need it.
    - it has previously been 'broken' for some months as a result of Win 10 development
    - it is, as I expect you know, curiously always turned off on any Windows upgrade
    - it does not protect everything.

Bottom line- it can be useful when it works, but don't rely on it solely.

Many times people here have said- use disk imaging routinely e.g. Macrium reflect (free). This is much more robust and comprehensive.

Now the downside of that compared to System Restore is that Macrium and other such programs restores an entire partition - data and system files in the case of Windows. System Restore does not affect and nor does it protect data files.

dalchina, Dec 24, 2017
  5. I have had to turn off App & Browser Control at time to get things to work.

When done turn App & Browser Control back on.

It's located in the Defender Security Center.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 24, 2017
  6. PiKo Win User
    dalchina: I fully agree. I make Macrium images say every 1 to 2 months. However, when I test a new app. I create a restore point. When I decide to deinstall such app. I perform a simpler and quicker system restore to remove residues of this app. in the register.

Layback bear: thanks but this did not solve it. Still the error message.

7. dalchina New Member
    A good way to deal with testing such programs-

Use e.g. Revo uninstaller to monitor the installation, then use it to uninstall.
    Or use Revo or Geek uninstaller (free) to uninstall the program- these scan for leftovers.

More specific than System Restore which could revert other changes occurring meanwhile.

dalchina, Dec 25, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Why not create a differential backup before installing app. Then you can revert to exact state before app was installed.

I would not use system restore as a means to uninstall a program anyway - Revo uninstaller is a better solution.

cereberus, Dec 25, 2017
  9. Since it states "probably due to an antivirus programme" I would consider installing Malwarebytes and see what it reports.
    Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software
    Even though it might not seem to be applicable, I would also run disk cleanup.

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 25, 2017
  10. reddice Win User
    That is exactly what I do. Especially with trial software that I don't want to purchase not trying to get away with that as that never removes anything. Actually lately I have been doing more Macrum image stores as even Revo leaves junk behind.

reddice, Dec 25, 2017
  11. PiKo Win User
    Thanks, but no threats detected with MB. Disk cleanup didn't solve it either.

12. PiKo Win User
    Thanks about the suggestions for Revo Installer and differential backups. I will look to that further.

I solved the issue by going back to a Macrium image, made 3 weeks ago. System restore works again. What caused the issue will probably never be found.

13. Defender prevents system restore

I'm glad to see MR system image backup solved your issue.
    --- Unfortunately as you mentioned there are times the cause of an issue isn't known.

I do MRF system image backups on a monthly basis during the week prior to the 1st Tue update of the upcoming month.
    I also use SR to record a log of what I consider an important event such as when my 1709 (OS Build 16299.371) was installed.
    Fortunately I haven't had to restore anything since upgrading to Windows 10 but I want to be ready in case something does go wrong.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
  14. I had the same problem and quite by accident stumbled across a 'work around'. My system would resolutely fail to restore automatic restore points but seems to restore manually set restore points. Have done 3 times so far.
    Previously I had found that by the time the restore was finished Defender real time protection had switched back on so I don't know whether that was the reason auto restore points didn't work? I'd be interested if this worked for anyone else.

Jonathan89, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender prevents system restore - Similar Threads - Defender prevents system

2. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  3. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore in 8.1: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  4. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  5. Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender preventing restart and restore.: Defender is preventing my computer from restarting amd restoring. I had a virus message a few months ago that prevented the computer from restarting. I went to safe mode and turned Defender off. Windows restarted. Last month it happened again because Defender was turned on. I...
  6. OneDrive prevents System Restore from working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive prevents System Restore from working properly: I recently had to do a system restore.However despite selecting different restore points, the system restore failed to successfully restore the system and the error message was specifically related to OneDrive. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screen shot. I have 2 OneDrives...
  7. OneDrive prevents System Restore from working properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive prevents System Restore from working properly: I recently had to do a system restore.However despite selecting different restore points, the system restore failed to successfully restore the system and the error message was specifically related to OneDrive. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screen shot. I have 2 OneDrives...
  8. Defender prevented making Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Defender prevented making Restore: Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender. Is there some way to stop defender...
  9. Defender prevented making Restore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defender prevented making Restore: Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender. Is there some way to stop defender...
  10. Windows Defender / System Restore Points

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender / System Restore Points: Win10 Home x64 (1803-17134.288) Starting in August 2018 (don't know the exact date) ... Windows Defender / Windows Module Installer are creating a System Restore Point every 24 hrs. Based on the time stamps, it appears this is being done by the default Windows Defender Task...