Windows 10: Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?

Discus and support Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have used Windows Defender exclusively for over a year. It scans every day and they take 30 seconds on average. I have an i7/16GB RAM/SSD system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Lichkaiser, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?

I have used Windows Defender exclusively for over a year. It scans every day and they take 30 seconds on average. I have an i7/16GB RAM/SSD system and it is barebones (a dozen programs that I use and that's it). I seldom download anything more than the occasional pdf and don't let my system get bogged down.

I have noticed this for a while now, but scans seem too quick. Not only do automatic scans take 30 seconds, but even full scans are less than 5 minutes. I never do the offline scans but those are likely the same thing. On my previous system, scans finished too fast and it turned out there was a deeper issue. But my current machine is pristine and I have no reason to think there is a problem. I haven't installed a new program in months and don't go in the registry or anything.

Should I be worried about scans being fast? My system seems healthy, but I want to be sure. Any tips on how to check up on my system in different ways besides Windows Defender?

submitted by /u/Lichkaiser
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Lichkaiser, Feb 22, 2021

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?

On startup Windows Defender is not on and wants to scan

Hi,

To address your concern regarding Windows Defender, we suggest that you restart the Windows Defender Service with the steps below:

• Right click on Start and select Run.
    • Type services.msc, then press Enter.
    • Click the Windows Defender Service, and click Stop and then
      Start under General tab.
    • Check Apply and OK.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?

1. Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern? - Similar Threads - Defender scans are

2. "LastMAPSFailureTimeString" Event in Windows Defender Logs, Is This a Cause for Concern?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "LastMAPSFailureTimeString" Event in Windows Defender Logs, Is This a Cause for Concern?: I checked my Windows Defender logs in Event Viewer > Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender > Operational, and saw something I haven't really seen before, the event said;"Old Value: N/A\SpyNet\LastMAPSFailureTimeString=""New Value:...
  3. "LastMAPSFailureTimeString" Event in Windows Defender Logs, Is This a Cause for Concern?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "LastMAPSFailureTimeString" Event in Windows Defender Logs, Is This a Cause for Concern?: I checked my Windows Defender logs in Event Viewer > Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender > Operational, and saw something I haven't really seen before, the event said;"Old Value: N/A\SpyNet\LastMAPSFailureTimeString=""New Value:...
  4. "LastMAPSFailureTimeString" Event in Windows Defender Logs, Is This a Cause for Concern?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Defender wants fast scan after every restart

Defender wants fast scan after every restart: I boot the computer running Windows 10 x64 DE 2004. I am logged with MS account and administrative rights. Defender Engine is 4.18.1909.6 In infobar the defender security icon schows an exclamation mark, it recommends a fast scan. I open defender and proceed the fast...
  6. Battleye anti-cheat causes windows defender to scan

Battleye anti-cheat causes windows defender to scan: I've been plagued for some time now by windows defender deciding to go haywire every time Battleye anti-cheat launches. Multiple games such as Rainbow six: siege, Escape from tarkov, DayZ and Arma 3 use this anti-cheat, and when these games launch, the first thing called is...
  7. Windows Defender concerns

Windows Defender concerns: Hello, I am very confused and concerned. We have Windows 10 Home 64-bit. OS Build 18362.387. I am aware there have been update issues recently, with MD5 problems or something? I don't fully understand. Really, I am not sure whether things are up to date as they should...
  8. Windows 10 Security Scan Concern

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Security Scan Concern: I ran a Quick scan on my Windows 10 system today after doing a check for updates. It was much quicker than usual, only scanning 7 files. The I ran a Full Scan and it seemed the same as the quick scan, much quicker than normal and only scanning 7 files. Normally, in the past...
  9. Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903

Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903: Good day Has anyone noticed that fast scan (or quick scan) isn't fast anymore? From less than two minutes on v1809 it has just gone to over five minutes for v1903. Anyone noticing this? 137703
  10. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload: I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is. All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine...